The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 26, 2007, 10:33 PM   #1
Jaycolo

powder question

Hello I just picked up a taurus gaucho and was wondering if i could shoot bp out of it
Old March 27, 2007, 12:19 AM   #2
arcticap

As long as you don't mind cleaning it, it's very corrosive.
Old March 27, 2007, 09:49 AM   #3
O.S.O.K.

yes you can

You can most certainly shoot black powder cartridges out of this - as said, you just need to clean-up afterwards with bp cleaning procedures.

BP is not actually corrosive, it is hygroscopic (attracts water) but is not corrosive like the old primer salts that were depositied with old style caps. It was the caps, not the primers that caused most of the havoc with the cap n ball and percussion muzzle loading rifles in the 1800's. Today's primers are non-corrosive.

Most guys that I've shot with in CAS that used BP kept a spray bottle of cleaning stuff and a jug of the same to put the brass in - need to clean the brass too if you plan on reloading it.

They'd just hose the gun down with the windex/water solution and then quickly swab the bores and chambers and wipe it down - some used rubbing alcohol to finish as it dries fast - then finish the job when you get home. I do know that some of these guys would simply do this at the range and then hit it with some WD-40 - and that's it - they would do a degrease prior to shooting the next time.

If you shoot it alot with bp, you will find out why the old guns took on the look they did
Old April 22, 2007, 12:32 AM   #4
Ifishsum

I've done it with my Gaucho a few times. Took it apart and pre-treated the bore and cylinder front with Bore Butter before firing and cleaned it up with BP solvent afterwards, cleaned up easier than I expected. Just do it right away.

BP loads really wake it up.
Old April 23, 2007, 10:36 PM   #5
Doublestack

As said above, you should have no problem shooting BP cartridges with your guns.
I shoot a BP sub (APP) exclusively in all my CAS guns mostly because I can use regular wax lubed bullets for reloading as opposed to having to use SPG lubed bullets (or similar lubed bullets). I just have a lot of regular bullet heads on hand right now. APP (American Pioneer Powder formerly known as "clean-shot") puts out a lot of white smoke but no flame. Real BP, like GOEX puts out plumes of smoke more of the grayish type, but visible flames fly out of the muzzle as well (very cool). When I run out of my bullet stock, I will be switching to the real stuff.

As far as clean up goes, there is good news and bad news. The bad news is that you do have to clean your guns the same day you shoot them.
The good news is that they clean up faster and easier when shot with BP or subs then they do with smokeless powder. I just remove the cylinder, and stick the forcing cone right under the faucet with very hot water pouring through the bore. Same with the cylinder. A couple of squirts of balistol, windex, or weasel piss (3 part mixture of hydrogen peroxide/Murphy's oil soap/rubbing alcohol), a couple of passes with a bore brush, and re-flush with the hot water.

The hot water evaporates fast, and I usually only need run a dry patch through the bore and chambers one time to dry. Wipe down the frame, apply a thin coat of balistol or weasel piss to all surfaces, and put 'em away. This all takes about 5-10 minutes per gun. Real fast and easy once you get the hang of it.

Hope this helps,

DS
Old April 25, 2007, 03:37 PM   #6
Grizz Adams

+1 on what Doublestack and OSOK have said.

I too use APP in all of my arms, and it works very well. No need for special bullet lube, and cleanup is a snap. I use the Windex Multi-Task which contains vinegar. DO NOT use the Windex with ammonia as it will attack the bluing.
Old April 25, 2007, 08:11 PM   #7
Doublestack

Grizz Adams,
Are you sure about that vinegar windex? Lots of folks use vinegar to remove the bluing from guns that they want to have a patina look. Maybe it is in such a small concentration in the windex that it won't affect the bluing.

DS