The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 11, 2009, 10:49 PM   #1
RamSlammer

Gas check or not?

I am wanting to load some hunting rounds for my Ruger New Blackhawk .357 with a 6.5" barrel. Using hard cast (18 bhn) 158 grain LSWC over 6.5 grains of Unique. Manuals I see indicate this at around 1240 fps. Is a gas check necessary with that hard of a bullet at that velocity? My initial thought is not, but would appreciate any input. Also I have a good supply of these bullets sized to both .357 and .358 . . . which would you use for this application?
Old October 11, 2009, 11:36 PM   #2
LHB1

You can ONLY use gas checks if the bullet bases are rebated for the gas checks to fit. DON'T try to force fit gas checks onto cast lead bullets that are not made for them. If you do use gas checks, I recommend the crimp on style instead of the old Lyman style which can come off after the bullet leaves barrel.

Probably don't need a gas check at 1250 fps IF the bullet is hard cast lead with good lube. I prefer ALOX lube on my cast bullets and have fired them at velocities up to 1425 fps (.44 Mag, 250 gr) across the chronograph without leading problems (for 50 shots). Most people recommend cast lead bullets be .001" oversize (.358 in .357 Mag) but I have used both .357" and .358" with excellent results.
Old October 12, 2009, 12:09 AM   #3
RamSlammer

Quote:
You can ONLY use gas checks if the bullet bases are rebated for the gas checks to fit
Well, that solved the issue. These bullets are not rebated for gas checks. Thanks for saving me from buying gas checks that wouldn't work anyhow.

Been using jacketed in the past, but have a bunch of these LSWC's which were meant for .38 SPL loads that I think will serve well for hunting also. The mfr claims 18 bhn which I hope will not lead up my barrel much. Guess I'll cook up a box or so and see how the Ruger likes 'em.
Old October 12, 2009, 07:15 AM   #4
Sevens

I am thinking that gas checks are not popular these days. I say this because it's just about hardly EVER I see them for sale anywhere... either as simple gas checks or bullets with them already installed. I don't think I've EVER seen cast bullets rebated for gas checks for sale.

I suppose there's the contingent that casts their own and installs their own gas checks, but otherwise-- who sees these available?

I always thought it was a pretty slick idea. Has bullet technology simply passed by the gas check?

Who sees them for sale?
Old October 12, 2009, 07:34 AM   #5
RamSlammer

Quote:
I am thinking that gas checks are not popular these days. I say this because it's just about hardly EVER I see them for sale anywhere... either as simple gas checks or bullets with them already installed. I don't think I've EVER seen cast bullets rebated for gas checks for sale.

I suppose there's the contingent that casts their own and installs their own gas checks, but otherwise-- who sees these available?

I always thought it was a pretty slick idea. Has bullet technology simply passed by the gas check?

Who sees them for sale
I agree . . . hardly ever see these in the mainstream lately. Buffalo Bore loads some specialty rounds that use them (to good effect), but otherwise I am not aware of any commercially loaded ammo with gas checks.

I think the availability jacketed bullets and lower costs of these have made gas checks redundant versus 20+ years ago when lead was more popular for loads other than target ammo. Lead also is viewed differently today . . . you'd think the stuff is radioactive arsenic or something.
Old October 12, 2009, 07:53 AM   #6
kraigwy

I went through this a while back, thinking you needed gas checks. I was using the lvman 358146. I picked up the lvman 358477 (non-gas check bullet) and found out it shot better in my guns the the 358156 bullet. I got to playing around with the 358156 bullet w/out gas checks and found it shot better then the same bullets with gas checks. So now I'm setting on a bunch of gas checks.

By the way, I was using range lead in both bullets. Not hard cast bullets. I saw no differance in leading with or without gas check.

I guess it depends on what your gun likes, if it shoots better with gas checks, use them, if they don't don't use them.

I still use gas checks in SOME rifle bullets, but not in my pistols.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071