The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 9, 2009, 09:50 AM   #1
Freedom-First

.223 AMax for an AR15

Hello All:
I'm loading .223 for an AR15 (Stag 2T) and picked up some Hornady AMax 75Gr bullets to try. As you know these are LONG bullets and I found that by the time I got them short enough to fit into the magazine, I was really compressing the powder but worse yet, because of the shape of the bullet, there is actually a GAP between the I.D. of the neck, and the O.D. of the bullet.. because the Ogive sits down so far inside.

On this pic, I've actually closed the gap a little with my crimping station.

My load is 23.5 Grains of H4895

The ring around the Ogive of the bullet seems to be coming from my seating die, I'm assuming because I'm compressing the powder so much. Dillon 550B w/ Dillon Dies.

What do you think...?

PICT2163.JPG
Old July 9, 2009, 10:01 AM   #2
plainsman456

With them set back so far the pressures will spike. I wouldn't shoot them,I had the same problem I went with the 60gr Nosler Part.Good Luck
Old July 9, 2009, 10:09 AM   #3
freakshow10mm

The 75gr A Max is not recommended to be loaded to magazine length. Look at the OAL for the data. There's a reason why the OAL isn't 2.26".
Old July 9, 2009, 10:13 AM   #4
brickeyee

Quote:
...by the time I got them short enough to fit into the magazine, I was really compressing the powder but worse yet, because of the shape of the bullet, there is actually a GAP between the I.D. of the neck, and the O.D. of the bullet.. because the Ogive sits down so far inside.
Did you look at the OAL recommended with the loading data?

These bullets must be loaded longer than magazine length and the rounds single fed.

You can purchase a special 'trough' that make it faster on the firing line.
Old July 9, 2009, 10:28 AM   #5
Freedom-First

Since I was loading to Mag length, I did not really look at the book length. I'm just beginning to play around w/ the .223 round and different bullet styles.

Thanks for the comments.
Old July 9, 2009, 11:27 AM   #6
Scorch

I know a fee guys who shoot the 75 gr A-Max for 600 yds slow fire prone stage. They have to single-load rounds individually into the port of their ARs. That bullet cannot be loaded to magazine length with any success.

I just load and shoot the Hornady 68 gr MBTHP bullet for the whole match, that way I don't have special ammo to keep track of. You might consider doing the same thing.
Old July 9, 2009, 11:52 AM   #7
brickeyee

Quote:
Since I was loading to Mag length, I did not really look at the book length.
That alone is a disaster waiting to happen.

The loads in a manual are depending on the COL to not develop excessive pressure.
Seat a bullet deeper and pressures increase.
Old July 9, 2009, 01:43 PM   #8
HiBC

Only a few dats ago,I took a fired case,an AR mag,and a 75 gr A-max,and held them all together to look.
Then I said"It won't work" verifying for my understanding what my reloading manual told me.

It might be possible to remove the material from the fron part of the magazine
so OAL is limited by the inside of the reciever mag well.

I have heard it is possible to make a magazine that will hold a few(5 or so)
rounds of long ammo this way.I have no experience with it.

For myself,I prefer to have one load,one sight setting,and one trajectory to (aspire to) master.

69 grs works pretty well.

Berger may have some product in their length tolerant line,

I'm not sure of the gains of a 75 gr LTB over a 69 gr VLD
Old July 9, 2009, 01:55 PM   #9
NWPilgrim

Powder load data is irrelevant without the OAL specified. It is as important as bullet weight, since bullet weight is really as much about the implied bullet length as it is inertia.

Anytime we load an atypical bullet design (VLD, non-lead, frangible, etc) we should be especially attentive to the OAL specs for any desired load.

OAL + bullet length determines available case volume.
Case volume + powder burn rate + powder weight + bullet weight will determine pressure. Other factors come into play but those are the major ones.

Never load based on data that does not include OAL spec, unless it is a typical bullet design and weight and you use the max OAL.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison