The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 14, 2009, 08:57 AM   #1
J A

Tumbler questions

I want to buy a tumbler for my pistol brass. I have decided to buy one with some input from you good and knowledgable shooters. After looking on Midway's website the Lyman looks to be the better unit. What do you have or recommend? I have about 500 .45acp to clean up.
What media would you recommend also? Thanks for the help. Jim
Old June 14, 2009, 10:45 AM   #2
MADISON

Tumbler coment

I have a LYMAN 1200 that I have been using for almost 20 years.
With any tumbler, the electric motor is the "thing" that kills a tumbler.
Some motors last days--Mine has lasted for years!
Old June 14, 2009, 10:53 AM   #3
ammo.crafter

media

walnuts or corn cobs seem to work just fune
Old June 14, 2009, 11:21 AM   #4
Reidman

RCBS tumbler and walnut media for coarse cleaning and corn cob if you want them to shine.

You'll get a variety of answers on this one. Check out MidwayUSA and read some reviews and you'll see what I'm talking about.

I got RCBS because it was at the shop when I wanted one. It has been solid and works like a champ. Regardless of what brand you get you'll love it
Old June 14, 2009, 12:28 PM   #5
CortJestir

I find the Cabela's Tumbler Kit to be a very good value. It comes with corn cob media, polisher, tumbler, and media separator -- all for around $60.
Old June 14, 2009, 12:32 PM   #6
Seedtick

I picked up a Lyman 1200 with Auto-Flo a few weeks ago and I am tickled with it. I'm glad I went ahead and got the auto-flo. It is nice to just pull the plug and let all the media run out. After the media runs out I stir the brass around with my hand for a few seconds to completely empty the cases then there is nothing left in the bowl but shiny clean brass. NICE!

I started out with some untreated corn cobb and it did a good job. Then I tried some walnut, it was treated with that red rouge, and I noticed that the inside of the cases were much cleaner. My next try I mixed the cobb and walnut about half and half and that was the best. With the inside polished so shiny it is a lot easier to see the powder charge while the case is still on the (turret) press.

I also add a cap full of Nu-Finish car polish every couple of loads and some used dryer sheets cut into 1 inch strips every load. The next time I buy walnut media I'm gonna get it untreated cause I don't think it is necessary plus it is a little messy. I've also started letting it run all night just because it makes the inside so much brighter.

Get the auto-flo! You'll be glad you did.

ST
Old June 14, 2009, 01:30 PM   #7
Unclenick
Staff

Seedtick,

Welcome to the forum.

+1 on the Auto-flo. I have an old 1200 (about 20 years, too), and bought the Auto-flo bowls for it at one point to upgrade it. Works great.

I'll add in the safety admonition that you only do your media separating (by whatever method you use) outdoors or in really good ventilation. It puts dust in the air that includes lead compounds from primer residue. You can capture some of that dust by throwing a clothes dryer sheet into the bowl to pick dust up while the brass is polishing. The main thing is, you don't want that dust to settle where kids or pets can get it on them and transfer it into their mouths. Breathing it probably isn't good to do either.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old June 14, 2009, 03:39 PM   #8
oldcspsarge

http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/con...y_Case_Cleaner

Dillon without a doubt......I have thrown away many Lymans with blown motors...Dillon has a lifetime warranty.

Does a terrific job, is fast and reliable. Had one die..shipped it back to Dillon...5 days had a NEW in Box replacement.....and it keeps on running !
Old June 14, 2009, 05:29 PM   #9
sophijo

Dillon

The motor; electrical components on the Dillon have a 1 year warranty / their website. Same with Cabela's. Don't know about Thumler.
Old June 14, 2009, 06:05 PM   #10
J A

Thanks for the input

The Lyman 1200 was the one I was looking at. I was unsure about the auto-flo feature until now. Thanks guys!
Old June 14, 2009, 07:34 PM   #11
DWARREN123

I believ most are made by the same couple of companies and branded for sale. Good warranty and corn cob media works for me.
Old June 14, 2009, 11:44 PM   #12
Seedtick

J A you will be pleased.

Thanks for the welcome Unclenick.

ST
Old June 15, 2009, 06:34 PM   #13
sophijo

thumler

...just for the FYI. I called Thumler and their motor warranty is 1 year too.
Old July 12, 2009, 06:18 AM   #14
J A

tumbler update

Thanks for the help and input. I bought the Lyman Turbo 1200. My local gunshop had a new one in stock at a great price. I may add the auto flo bowls in the future. I am cleaning my second bowl of brass as I write this. The first bowl cleaned up in about 2 hours. The tumbler works great. Thanks for the help. Jim