The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 2, 2012, 11:09 AM   #1
Armorer2B

Glocked Up Brass

I am looking for a compact 40 S&W concealed carry gun. I currently shot a Browning Hi-Power. It shots great but a little to heavy and bulky for everyday carry in my opinion. I was thinking about something like the Glock G27 or G23 just based on price and reputation. Then I heard about Glocked Up Brass, or brass with a low case bulge due to the cartridge not being fully supported in the chamber. I know there are reloading options to fix this bulge but frankly to repeatedly bulge and resize brass sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Having said all that I have two questions I'd like your opinions on.

Does anyone know what other polymer frame carry guns in 40 S&W comparable in size to the G27 or G23 fully support the case? What are your opinions of them?

What are your thoughts about the seriousness of bulged brass and unsupported cartridges in 40 S&W?
Old October 2, 2012, 11:48 AM   #2
NAKing

I taught my friend how to reload in 9mm for his Glock. Never did we come across one of his fired cases exhibiting a bulge near the head. I haven't seen this with on of my .40 S&W loads either. I think many people with that problem are inadvertently creating loads of higher pressure than book values.
Old October 2, 2012, 11:52 AM   #3
Dan-O

Buy an aftermarket barrel for range use, and stick the factory barrel back in for carry/duty use (if you aren't comfortable with the aftermarket barrel while carrying the gun). Problem solved.
Old October 2, 2012, 12:07 PM   #4
Mrgunsngear

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2f9...4&feature=plcp

If you skip ahead to the 2:20 mark in my video above, you'll be able to see the difference in chamber support between the Gen2 (where these rumors spread from) and the current Gen4 (new production Gen3s are the same) chamber support. Current Glocks have the same amount of chamber support as XDs, M&Ps, FNSs, ect... I've never had 'Glocked up brass' from any of them. YMMV...

If you want to be 100% sure you can always get an aftermarket barrel but then you may run into feeding issues...
Old October 2, 2012, 12:38 PM   #5
Armorer2B

Ok, so it sounds like much of the Glocked up brass has been addressed by Glock with improved chamber support that's comparable to other popular carry guns. Also the brass may perform fine in reloads if pressures are kept down. I'm planning to download on all my reloads anyway. All my Hot defense loads are going to be factory so hi pressure reloads should not be an issue. Great review of the Gen 4 Glock 23 an 27 and the Gen 2. If on occasion I get a slightly bulged case I have resizing and culling options. Gives me a good reason to inspect my cases better every time.
Old October 2, 2012, 07:22 PM   #6
shortwave

Quote:
All my Hot defense loads are going to be factory so hi pressure reloads should not be an issue.
Can't tell ya about the Gen3-4 but the Gen2 .40 with stock bbl. will bulge some of the full house 'factory' ammo as well. Such as the Buffalo Bore Heavy +P loads. Course Buffalo Bore warns not to shoot these rounds in anything but a fully supported chamber.

Plouffedaddy will probably be able to say whether these rounds and ones like them are safe out of the stock bbl.'d G3 & 4.

Last edited by shortwave; October 2, 2012 at 07:39 PM.
Old October 2, 2012, 09:12 PM   #7
Mrgunsngear

Quote:
Plouffedaddy will probably be able to say whether these rounds and ones like them are safe out of the stock bbl.'d G3 & 4.
As a general rule I do not fear loads that surpass SAMMI spec (as others over in the general handgun forum know )but I'd never run any
"+p" 40S&W rounds in my guns. I'd venture to say there's a very good chance you'd be fine but I wouldn't. There just doesn't seem to be much of an advantage to it to me.... But, your gun and your hand.

But, if your 'hot' defensive loads are just factory loads by Speer, Federal, Winchester, Hornady... shoot and be merry. You won't have an issue.

Tags
40 s&w , conceal carry , defense , glock , reload