The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 21, 2009, 06:25 PM   #1
attila787

Disappointed, but determined...Help!

I've gone out to my deer lease three times and all three times I have been disappointed. When I check my game camera I have tons of hogs that come out at various times of the day and night.

I don't believe my blind is the problem because I had a deer come to 20 ft of my blind and he didn't even know I was there(I'm 100 yards away from the feeder). Its a gamble every time I go out because the hogs in my area are so unpredictable they come out at various times its hard to put a plan together.

I plan on going again before deer season starts and be there all day and night, but I'm afraid to fall asleep and miss my chance. Do they make some kind of motion detector that I can set out near the blind? If you guys have any ideas please share I hate wasting trips.....gas is getting expensive.
Old September 21, 2009, 07:18 PM   #2
Daryl

To quote an outfitter buddy of mine in Colorado, "Put in your time."

Bring a book to read, and a few snacks. I can remember putting in some long hours in an antelope blind while bowhunting in Colorado, but sooner or later I'd get my chance.

You just have to be awake when the chance comes, and snoring won't help.

Daryl
Old September 22, 2009, 01:16 PM   #3
attila787

Looks like i may have figure something on my own....
Old September 22, 2009, 05:12 PM   #4
bswiv

A little more information.

Are you after the hogs or are the hogs a sideshow to the deer?
Bow?
Bait?
What type of terrain?
Are you mobile?
How much land are you working on?
Is it OK to stalk?
Old September 22, 2009, 06:55 PM   #5
attila787

Right now I'm after hogs since deer season is not here. I'm located in Polk County, TX very bushy area. I can't really can't stalk because I'm on a 3,000 acre with 25 hunters and I don't want to go wander into another hunters area.
Old September 22, 2009, 07:06 PM   #6
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

50# corn, (3) 5 gallon buckets, 1 to 3 packs bakers yeast (little one loaf envelope), water and 7 days...
split the sack o' corn in the buckets 2 inch from rim, Add one pack or one third pack yeast... Slowly fill with hose to rim but don't wast your yeast. After a couple 2 or 3 hours, top again to compensate for soaking in. Let sit 7 days making sure the corn stays under... The yeast variance is strictly a speed issue as more will go to "sour" sooner. Use a junk plastic cup to sling this stuff all over you "blind area"... POUR OUT THE WATER into the bucket each scoop as it is used to sling into the brush and foliage overhead. It will waft in the breeze far better than the scent on the ground in the corn. Once they come in the first time... Set 'em up and knock 'em down!
Brent
Old September 22, 2009, 08:07 PM   #7
StiveC2007

Where are you located, if you don't mind. I will come down there free of charge and pretty much shoot every hog I see.
Old September 22, 2009, 08:14 PM   #8
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

If you really want them gone... I can hook you up with some doggers.
we hammer them hard compared to shooting and those we don't catch will stay away a few weeks following a hard night. If your lease don't want the dogs right now due to deer season, we can set it up for next year...

Brent