The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 8, 2009, 09:23 PM   #1
Lavid2002

Goose hunting without decoys?

I have recently talked to 2 farmers, one says the geese (canda) fly over his farm all the time in the AM. I think I can go just in military camo, snuggle up next to the barn, and rip em apart. Granted after that first day I will need to use my sled, But I dont have any goose decoys....I jsut dropped 112 clams on some new duck decoys and I dont feel like buying geese decoys. I Just wana have some fun b4 duck season starts. Another farmer told me he will call me while the candas are one his fields so I can go and shoot em. He said they tear his crops up and he has to shoo them away all the time I told him, "I can helo : )"

So....
*Tips for sneaking up on geese?
*Tips for hunting without goose decoys? Should I at least buy a call?
Old September 8, 2009, 09:26 PM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

If they are migratory, why would second day matter? I thought it was the ones up the fly way getting shot at and missed that makes them wary tomorrow...
Brent
Old September 8, 2009, 09:27 PM   #3
Lavid2002

They are, but these geese are doing the same thing every single day. I think there the same geese : / That would be AWESOME If I had ignorant geese to eat everytime I hunted.
Old September 9, 2009, 11:07 AM   #4
FrontSight

Sure you can! Lots of people jump shoot or just set up on their known path or feeding areas, if they are known to fly low. Just not as good b/c you can't try to attract them to your exact spot, but it can be done.
Old September 11, 2009, 06:16 AM   #5
Ole 5 hole group

What some goose hunters will do is drive around in the late afternoon and determine what fields the geese are feeding in, as those particular flocks will "normally" return the next morning to feed in that field again. Geese "normally" don't return to the field where they've been shot at but if the field is close to a refuge or other sanctuary a flock that just came into the area during that evening may find that field appealing and you'll have great shooting as long as "new" geese continue into your area. Knowing where the geese spent the night will greatly increase your chance of determining where to set up in the morning darkness, so just after sunrise those geese will be low & slow over your position as they come to feed.
Old September 16, 2009, 01:36 PM   #6
Lavid2002

I went out and got one, me any my buddy shot em 3 times before he went down, we need bigger shot, this shot was way too small, he went down because we broke his wing bone. Here are some pix : )
9/12/09

Thanks for the help guys, I used my mouth-goose call : P

I smoked the goose and he was really really good. I made goose tacos with him :P
Old September 16, 2009, 01:44 PM   #7
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

YER Goose got cooked!!! Now go slay you some more! What is your daily/season limits?
Brent
Old September 16, 2009, 02:04 PM   #8
koolminx

The simplest way to catch a goose is to hide in the bushes and make a noise like a piece of corn. When the goose comes to eat the corn you shoot him!

Nice bird Bigger shot will help on these big buggers!
Old September 16, 2009, 02:55 PM   #9
Lavid2002

Thanks, Yeah I need BB or BBB
Old September 16, 2009, 04:51 PM   #10
FrontSight

AWESOME! Congrats, man!
Old September 17, 2009, 12:47 PM   #11
Lavid2002

Quote:
AWESOME! Congrats, man!
Thx bro
Old September 17, 2009, 01:05 PM   #12