The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old August 18, 2009, 09:08 AM   #1
vintagemc313

Rare French Officer's Pistol

I picked up this French pistol, and later found out it is pretty rare. Model 1928 La Francais Armee. It's in beautiful condition, EXCEPT the old man shot 9mm Luger out of it. It's supposed to be 9mm Browning. Everything is perfect with the exception of the barrel. Notice the bulge?

OH NO!!
Old August 18, 2009, 09:42 AM   #2
Horticattleman

WOW. Why dont you take a wire brush to it and add to the uh oh's
Old August 18, 2009, 10:06 AM   #3
ThomasPaine

I do not really think the functionality matters. With all that decoration it was never intended to be shot, just look pretty with the uniform.

--Thomas Paine--
Old August 18, 2009, 01:50 PM   #4
Jim Watson

Very, uh, French.
There was a gunsmith, since deceased, who would undertake to roll the bulge out and reline the barrel. You'd probably have had to have the engraving touched up, though.

Quote:
With all that decoration it was never intended to be shot
I don't know about that. I have a couple of engraved guns that I shoot. One is very worn, a shadow of its old self, but the fine scroll is still attractive.
The other is a modern stainless steel .38; a nice coat pocket gun.
Old August 18, 2009, 09:29 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

My first reaction was that a 9mm Parabellum round wouldn't fit in a 9mm BL chamber, but a check of the cartridge specs shows it just might, likely wedging in because the 9mm BL case is actually longer than the 9mm P. I am surprised that gun held up to the punishment. I would be very careful about shooting it, and not just because of the barrel bulge.

The use of the wrong ammo didn't cause the bulge, though; that comes only from firing a bullet into an obstructed barrel.

Too bad. The gun might be shot safely with the right ammo, but if the bulge is pounded out, the further bending of the steel could weaken it enough that IMHO the gun should not then be fired.

(That pistol is an early striker fired DAO pistol; if it is odd, so is the Glock.)

Jim