The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 26, 2013, 01:00 PM   #1
Hundy

Handgun load data

I currently use the Hodgdon website and 3 different manuals as my load guides. I have been using Hornady and Speer bullets. No secret that stuff is getting harder to come by.
So I am ordering bullets from 2 other companies that are not listed on any of the commonly used references.
So if I order a 40cal 180gr FMJ Flat nose copper jacket, but I cannot find that brand of bullet listed, is it ok to find another brand that matches the above description and use that data? Just to make sure I explained this correct, if the brand was "Everglade" I would use Hornady, Speer, Nosler or Sierra data that matched the type of bullet made by Everglade.
Just curious if anyone has run into this problem.
If I was to use this method I would start with the minimum load and work my way up.
Old May 26, 2013, 01:35 PM   #2
LE-28

If the seating depth of the bullet in the case and bearing surface of the bullet were reasonably the same.
Old May 26, 2013, 06:04 PM   #3
g.willikers

As long as the bullets, from the different makers, are identical, or very nearly so, the loading data will transfer.
Just make sure they are the same design, weight, length, made of the same material, and are the same diameter.
In effect - identical.
Old May 26, 2013, 06:41 PM   #4
Misssissippi Dave

It is good to have at least one bullet of the the ones you are using for a reference. You can measure the bearing surface, weight and length. If it is similar to the bullet you are trying to work up a load for you probably can find a load to work. It helps to have a chronograph to help you figure out the speed of the bullet and determine if the load is spiking at a given level. You do need to pay much closer attention working up a load this way. Not all bullets are created equal. The hardness of the jacket and the thickness of the jacket can effect things as well as the shape.

You can also try contacting the manufacture to see if they have some load data for their bullets. Often times they do and are willing to share this with you. They may just say bullet X is a close match for load data. This gives you a better idea where to start. As with any new load you are developing, go slow and only make a few rounds to test at a time.
Old May 27, 2013, 06:27 AM   #5
Mike / Tx

Also as long as your not trying to push plated bullets to jacketed bullet velocities. Plated and actual jacketed are a bit different and have to be loaded as such.

The 40 or 10mm both run at a higher pressure with most loads, so be sure to check with the manufacturer to see if they offer a "best" load range for their bullets. Other than that yes it will depend on the actual bullet designs and how much capacity it takes up in the case as to how best to go about it.
Old May 27, 2013, 09:00 AM   #6
WESHOOT2

oh my

I currently have in stock over seventy (70) different bullet types for handgun cartridges.

Assume that all bullets are always different (because they are).

In your situation, simply reduce slightly and work upward to your desired performance level.
Average start data for the bullet weight, and use the average (or a bit less ) as your start load.

Safety first.