The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 1, 2009, 10:07 AM   #1
Boomer8404

Got my Dillon 550B in!!!

Fedex guy dropped it off yesterday about 10:30am and I had to wait until i got home from work(after 10:30pm) so the whole work day I was anxious to get home and play with it. Now, I get home, get it all unpacked, get it figured out where I want to set it on my reloading table and I started looking around. CRAP no mounting bolts included. Made a 45 minute round trip to my parents house out to the work shop to get some bolts. Back to my place and its roughly 11:20pm. I got to work getting it mounted and set up. Man it took me a few hours, going through everything, making sure everything was right. Then the next step was setting up my Redding .38SPC/.357Magnum dies. Didnt actually get started running rounds until about 2:15am. Just made an initial run of 50 .357 consisting of a Laser-Cast 158gr. SWC above 5.2gr of Unique, Remington 5 1/2 primers and mixed .357 brass.

OOOOHHHH MAN, Im an instanty happy, jump on the bandwagon lover of the Dillon 550B. After years and long hour sessions of getting intimate with single stage presses, the 550B is worlds above.
Old April 1, 2009, 12:04 PM   #2
Rickenbacker53

why the dillon??

First off Congratulations.. Second you must be a single guy :Did you do an research..of other progressives?? Like the LNL ..I am curious why the Dillon..I am in the same boat you were..I actually bought a LNL before I did any research and I have been working getting a room ready to reload so haven't open it up yet. Mainly because several guys have tried to talk me into Dillon.

How messy does your press get from the spent primers..I've heard it's a bad set up..If you don't mind replying..I am curios to your observations at this point.

I put the LNL on Ebay ..It's already past what I paid for it..But I can end the auction if I decide on dillon in a day or 2.
Old April 1, 2009, 01:00 PM   #3
Sam06

Get the strong mount and Dillon dies next. The strong mount makes a big difference as do the Dillon dies IMO. They are nice machines and the customer Service from Dillon is outstanding. Do not second guess yourself you have the Cadillac of Progressive reloaders.

I have had no problems with the spent primers. They fall into a little cup and you empty it. The Machine gets a little dirty but it not too hard to clean and oil. I have most of the bells and whistles with mine. I recommend getting:

1. Low primer alarm
2. Strong mount
3. Die blocks for each cartridge you load for.
4. Dillon Dies

I load the following on mine: 9mm,45ACP, 44 Mag, 223 and 308. I still single stage my 600yrd line rounds and any rounds I hunt with or do serious target shooting. But for practice ammo or ammo to be used in 3 gun or IPSC matches the Dillon does the work. For a high volume shooter like myself the Dillon was the answer and I am sure I paid for it in the 1st year with the ammo I loaded on it. I shoot more now, I am a better shot and I save money, what more could you ask for.

Last edited by Sam06; April 1, 2009 at 01:07 PM.
Old April 1, 2009, 02:42 PM   #4
D. Manley

Quote:
Got my Dillon 550B in!!!

Congratulations, you'll enjoy cranking out rounds the easy way. If you need service, have a question or just need a piece of advice, call Dillon. You'll find its more like calling an old friend than a customer service thing.