The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old June 23, 2007, 09:14 AM   #26
MeekAndMild

Please! Don't try head shots, whether with a .223 or a .300 magnum! Deer will react to muzzle flash by jerking their heads. In the tenth of a second it takes for a bullet to travel the distance you'll end up with a deer whose jaw is shot off 'way too many times.

The only thing more disturbing than finding some young hunter endlessly wandering the woods trying to track a jaw-shot deer is finding the deer itself a couple of weeks later.
Old June 23, 2007, 09:40 AM   #27
tulsamal

I have plenty of "real" deer rifles and I've never actually shot a deer with a 5.56. Well, that's not true. I had an AR in hand one time when I found a heavily injured deer on my property. So I killed that one but that doesn't really count! I wasn't deer hunting at the time; it was April!

Anyway, I've got a Tikka Tactical now. And I've been working up some ultra-accurate loads using the Sierra 77 grain Match bullet. I was thinking about taking it in the deer stand and using it for a neck shot just to check it out. But.... it would be nice to see how that bullet actually performs on flesh and blood. People are using it in combat in the ME. But Sierra says not to use it for hunting. Has anybody taken a chest/lung/heart shot on a deer using the Sierra 77 grain bullet? In gelatin it performs quite well. And they love it in combat.

Thanks,

Gregg
Old June 23, 2007, 06:00 PM   #28
dbgun

Please! Don't try head shots

I don't plan on taking a head shot (deer). I have seen neck shots (even
though it's a small target) taken at the lease, that dropped the deer on
a reguler basis. I went over all my .223 ammo in my safe and found a box
(bought last fall) that I bought from one of the gunshow vendors (T's guns
and ammo). They are Match Grade 72 gr, soft points. I see this vendor atleast every 2 months, so I'll have plenty of ammo to practice with, by the time November gets here. I was holding 1" groups at 50 yds. with WOLF
ammo through my Mini-14. Only a lot of practice will tell weather I'm going
to use my mini-14 or not.
Old June 23, 2007, 06:03 PM   #29
FirstFreedom

Quote:
Please! Don't try head shots, whether with a .223 or a .300 magnum! Deer will react to muzzle flash by jerking their heads. In the tenth of a second it takes for a bullet to travel the distance you'll end up with a deer whose jaw is shot off 'way too many times.

The only thing more disturbing than finding some young hunter endlessly wandering the woods trying to track a jaw-shot deer is finding the deer itself a couple of weeks later.
Agree with M&M, +1. Head shots, no. Neck shots, yes, if the deer is standing still.
Old June 27, 2007, 11:35 AM   #30
Trojan6

Highly advise against using the match kings for any kind of hunting. I used 190gr match kings in my .308 before I knew better and shot a buck and a doe with them. Yes it killed them both, perfect heart shots at less than 50 yards. However, it basically drilled a hole right through them. Blood trail was adequate, but I prefer not having to track 80 -100m in dense brush and swamp to find them. Switched to game kings + neck shots and no more problems. Military is using 77gr match kings because we can't use good quality hollow points. Hope this helps.
Old June 27, 2007, 11:58 AM   #31
dbgun

Trojan6

Thanks for the info. I'll look into that bullet.

Regards
Old June 27, 2007, 08:46 PM   #32
Arizona Fusilier

I'd like to broaden the horizons of our forum; "deer" is a very relative subject when it comes to size.

Here in Arizona, the Coues Deer (variant of the white tail) rarely dresses out to more than a hundred pounds, to paraphrase our Game and Fish Department. It's a very small critter for a deer. I would never dream of using .223 on a muley, or an eastern white tail. But here in Arizona on a Coues Deer, I think .223 with a quality bullet would peform just well. I personally use my .270, since its the weapon I have the most confidence in hitting with at the open, cross-canyon, couple-of-hundred-yard shots these creatures often present.

Nonetheless, I have little doubt that dozens, maybe hundreds, of Coues Deer fall to the .223 every year.
Old June 30, 2007, 01:59 AM   #33
Dallas Jack

I am going to try out the Federal 60gr w/Nosler partition bullets. If they are accurate I may try them on game.
Dallas Jack