The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 3, 2012, 03:39 PM   #1
HamMach1

S&W M&P 9mm vs M&P Pro Series 9mm?

So I made a thread earlier about being new to the forums and new to handguns all around. So I have been shopping around, going to the range a couple more times and even became a member with one of them. With my shopping around, it seems like the Smith and Wesson M&P is going to be the best deal I can find, for right now at least, being military. At the Base Exchange, I came upon a M&P 9mm Pro Series with the 5" barrel, versus the 4.25", for $600 tax free, plus 10% S&W discount, PLUS $50 mail in rebate for S&W... total price of $490. It has the fiber optic front sight as well. Pretty good deal it seems, eh?

I guess my question is, are there different pros or cons between a 4.25" barrel and a 5" barrel? Which is better for my intended use (explained in the next sentence). My intended use is home defense and will see the range often for practice, no plans of carrying. I am sure I can have the employee order me a regular M&P with a 4.25" barrel and have a discount but the 5".
Old November 3, 2012, 03:46 PM   #2
jmhyer

That's a good deal on a great weapon. The five incher will be great for range and home defense work.
Old November 3, 2012, 03:51 PM   #3
Sheriff Gotcha

I'm new to guns as well, but from what I have read and experienced so far the longer barrel will help with accuracy. (The specific reason why is slipping my mind right now though.) Also, I would imagine that the added weight from the slightly longer barrel would assist in reducing recoil and less muzzle flip which can help follow up shots be in faster succession.

All in all I would say the longer barrel has no negative affects on your intended use. Shorter barrels are usually preferred for carry weapons and since that is not why you are buying a gun you should be fine with this purchase. (which by the way seems like a rather good deal IMO)
Old November 3, 2012, 04:08 PM   #4
HamMach1

That is kind of what I figured the 5" barrel had over the 4.25". Would a 5" really be necessary for me, being that I am not a proficient shooter yet and have no intention of competition shooting? I feel like 4.25" would suffice.
Old November 3, 2012, 04:47 PM   #5
Mrgunsngear

Well I have a M&P Pro and regular M&P9. On the M&P9 I put an Apex kit in it---it's a much better gun than the Pro with that set up IMO. So, with that said I'd go with this:

http://www.budspolicesupply.com/cata...roducts_id/748

or with night sights:
http://www.budspolicesupply.com/cata...products_id/18

You'll get LE pricing there, free shipping, and can still use the $50 rebate. Use the money saved to buy an APEX kit and you'll have a fantastic gun. They also have the model you want for $475 shipped + 20 transfer - $50 rebate = $445.

I say this because I hate it when my Soldiers come in to show me their new gun from the PX and then tell me the 'deal' they got on it (facepalm). "Why didn't you ask me first?" is always my question followed by "I could have told you where to get it cheaper...."

Obligatory eye candy:
Old November 3, 2012, 05:01 PM   #6
HamMach1

^Thanks for the link. Now, when the first link says "fixed" sights, does that mean they cannot be swapped for better ones?
Old November 3, 2012, 05:01 PM   #7
ks_wayward_son

HamMach...dont think you can go wrong with the m&p. I think that the reason for better accuracy in longer barreled handguns is because the additional rifling allows the bullet to increase velocity and rate of twist...more spin. Also, the longer the sight radius the more precision while aiming. Kinda like why target shooters may prefer longer versions of a particular model...ie the pro over the standard m&p. Also why you servicemen and women carry a rifle/carbine as the main weaponry over the handgun. More power and precision in aiming. Welcome to the forum and thanks
for your service.
Old November 3, 2012, 05:10 PM   #8
TunnelRat

Quote:
Now, when the first link says "fixed" sights, does that mean they cannot be swapped for better ones?
No. Fixed sights means non adjustable. Some pistols come with adjustable rear rights. That means instead of having to drift the sight in the dovetail using a sight tool, or my personal ghetto way of a tape-wrapped flathead and a vise , there is a little screw on the rear sight. By turning the screw clockwise or counter-clockwise the point of impact is adjusted left or right. Personally I've never had the need for adjustable sights on a defensive handgun. Regardless those sights can be replaced if you want, they're not "fixed" to the metal in the slide as I think was your question.

Edit: I started out on an M&P and have recently come back to them. I have a healthy respect for them and consider them a quality weapon at a fair price, even for us civies.
Maintain situational awareness

Last edited by TunnelRat; November 3, 2012 at 08:37 PM.
Old November 3, 2012, 06:36 PM   #9
HamMach1

Well ordered my M&P9. When it is all said and done, it will only cost me $410. I will take that!
Old November 3, 2012, 09:24 PM   #10
Mrgunsngear

Which one did you pick?
Old November 4, 2012, 11:31 AM   #11
HamMach1

Just the reg M&P9, not the Pro.
Old November 4, 2012, 01:33 PM   #12
Mrgunsngear

Good choice. Maybe if it's new enough it'll have the Shield trigger in it and you won't have to worry about running Apex parts to get a decent trigger. Let us know how it works out.
Old November 4, 2012, 01:38 PM   #13
wild cat mccane

Longer slides do NOT always translate into better accuracy.

Same gun example: most report better accuracy with an HK P30 vs HK P30L. At some point the gun is more user friendly.

I would be surprised if a M&P pro at 5 inches is more user accurate than say a Walther P99 at 4 inches for example.
Old November 5, 2012, 09:56 AM   #14
MP9

I have a m&p 9 FS and am very happy with it. When I got it I wasnt thinking so much about gaming with the gun..it was for IDPA, then uspsa, now I am more into the game and sometimes think about buying a 5". I would like to try one before buying one.

I put the apex dcaek and 2 weeks ago replaced the front sight with 10-8 FO.

for range, home, the m&p 9 FS is a nice choice.. the 5" is more for competition, and you can use the FS for competition and be very proficient with it...

as far as accuracy, well, I think the 5" will help beyond 25 yards..and accuracy is more about sight and trigger control, then long sight radius. and uspsa sometimes they shoot at 30" and not sure if at 40" too. and maybe help a little with the recoil for speed shooting
Old November 5, 2012, 02:26 PM   #15
Theohazard

It can get confusing because there are two different kinds of Pro models. One is the long slide version with sights set up for target shooting and competition. The other is the same as the regular full-size M&P but it comes with night sights and a slightly better trigger (still has a terrible reset, though).

And a longer barrel won't directly increase accuracy. In fact, a longer barrel will often decrease accuracy, especially in rifles. The bullet is actually stabilized very quickly and a longer barrell isn't going to stabilize it any more. Instead, a longer barrel is going to flex more, causing a slight decrease in accuracy. Sniper rifles have longer barrels to allow more powder to burn and therefore get more range out of a given round, not to increase accuracy.

However, with open sights many people will be more accurate with a longer barrel because the sights are farther apart (sight radius), allowing the shooter to aim with more precision. Also, a longer barrel usually gives you more muzzle velocity because more powder is burning before the bullet leaves the barrel.