The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old May 10, 2005, 08:38 PM   #1
locked'n'cocked

Any need to have gear for a prarie dog shoot?

I'm going to go prarie dog shooting this summer and i was wondering if anybody had any recomendations on some must have gear besides the basics. I'm already bringing several rifles, a pistol for snakes, lots of ammo, spotting scope etc. anything else that you found useful?

"Make haste, slowly." Wyatt Earp

Last edited by locked'n'cocked; May 10, 2005 at 09:09 PM.
Old May 10, 2005, 09:56 PM   #2
bergie

lots of ammo
if you are going wih any experienced shooters they should be able to tell you, but a good comfortable portable shooting bench makes a world of difference at the end of the day.
lots of ammo
or a good pad to lay on if you plan on shooting from prone, but be prepared to get up and walk around to stretch out quite often.

oh did I mention lots of ammo

bergie

p.s. lots of water
and lots of ammo
Old May 10, 2005, 10:04 PM   #3
locked'n'cocked

i got the ammo covered. 300 rds per rifle (3 maybe a fourth if i get my new one before i go) and a .22lr with countless rounds. i thought about a portable bench but it seemed too much like cheating. i bought harris bipods instead . its only for about 3 days so i think i should have enough ammo.

"Make haste, slowly." Wyatt Earp
Old May 10, 2005, 10:31 PM   #4
ClarkEMyers

cleaning gear sun protection and social amenities

cleaning gear sun protection and social amenities. For many people it's a social occasion. No muzzle brakes.
Old May 10, 2005, 10:54 PM   #5
bill k

range finder, or are you going to cheat and have a spotter. I use both. I forgot, cleaning equipment, very important.
Old May 11, 2005, 08:43 PM   #6
44-40

Take a bipod or stay home,leather boots for cactus,only seen one snake while hunting dogs,.223 worked fine for him.If shooting prone(my favorite)padded elbow longsleeve or your arms will be hamburger, ear plugs and bug spray, brimmed ball cap!!!
Old May 11, 2005, 10:34 PM   #7
farmall

Dont forget plenty of drinking water, its very easy to get dehyrated. The combination of high heat/low humidity really increases your body's needs. I always take along lots of Vice-Grip pliers, I can buy seconds from the factory cheaply, and they make great gifts for the ranchers. Beer is always good for gifting also. Dont forget an adequate first aid kit & any needed meds. My shooting partner is a severe diabetic and at times we get 2-3 hours from the nearest hospital, so medical planning is a must for us. Be careful, cell phones dont work in many areas. Not trying to scare you away from what i'll bet will be the time of your life. Many people are unaware just how remote some of these areas are. DONT FORGET A ROLL OF TOILET PAPER, .30 CAL PATCHES DONT WORK WORTH A DAMN!!! otherwise I believe the others have it pretty well covered.
Old May 12, 2005, 09:31 PM   #8
bergie

Farmall,
From the factory??? the last time I looked the packages were all marked made in china? I hadn't ever heard they shut down here in NE and was very surprised at the package label. Whats up with that?
You are right though, a rancher can always use an extra vise-grip or a fencin plier, especially if you offer to run it for him for a while.
You from Lincoln? (you've mentioned it in a couple of posts) I live up by Norfolk.

bergie
Old May 16, 2005, 09:40 PM   #9
farmall

Bergie, As far as I know the factory in DeWitt is still making them. Rubbermaid, who bought Vise-Grip from the Petersen family has been looking for excuses to move the plant to China since they bought them. People I know who work there all say the end is near. Damn shame, this will turn about 450 people around here out of good paying jobs. I live in Beatrice, about 15 miles southeast of the factory. Many farmers here work there and I get seconds from them in exchange for tractor repair. They used to have a factory store, but I am told that now only employees can buy there. No problem for me yet as I know about 25 good folks who will hook me up.
Old May 16, 2005, 10:52 PM   #10
Jseime

i take

-.22 with scope
-a ton of HP ammo and some friends with .22s

we dont take it too seriously but the longest shot ever accomplished was almost 100 yards on the last round in a full magazine of 10. We just have to go a few miles in any direction to get em so its only a few hours at a time
Old May 18, 2005, 08:50 AM   #11
44-40

I forgot to mention that its not uncommon for praire dogs to have the plague so don't handle them.....