The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 22, 2002, 12:03 AM   #1
Mike Davies

Anybody shoot IPSC with a Defender?

3 gun matches are making a comeback here in Canada, so I picked up a very nice used Winchester Defender with the intention of using it in these matches.
Is there a load that works well in these guns for IPSC-style matches? Both shot and slug? Also, what's allowed and not allowed on a shotgun for IPSC, i.e, fiber-optic sights, pistol gripped stocks (full stock, not just a pistolgrip), etc...
Thanks,
Mike
Old March 22, 2002, 05:22 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Practical shotgun matches come in various flavors, and I quit shooting IPSC a long time ago. The rule at some matches since then is street equipment only. If one is shooting a LE match, issue stuff only.

You'd be better off contacting the local chapter and asking them.

Usually tho, optical sights are verboten, fiber optics are OK. Full stocks with OGs are OK, Miami Vice specials are not.

Slugs, buck and cheapo field loads all can be used in certain matches. Use what works best in your shotgun.
Old March 25, 2002, 11:20 AM   #3
SDC

Hi, Mike. I just shot a shotgun match here in Eastern Ont. on Sunday, and if it's legal, you can use it. I use a 12-GA 870 with extended mag tube, I/C (slugs and shot) with a side-saddle and rifle sights. Most of the top shooters here also use a "speedloader" of one type or another, and that's probably going to be my next purchase (thumbing the rounds in one at a time is SOOOO much slower than zipping a tube of 4 rounds with a speedloader). One of the guys who shoots at the top consistently uses a Defender with full stock, speedloader, and side-saddle, so you won't be handicapped with that set-up. I'd like to find a range where I can shoot some 3-gun, but no luck yet.
Old March 26, 2002, 12:57 AM   #4
Mike Davies

SDC:
You must have to shower 10 times a day living so close to the Liberal slime in Ottawa....
Who sells the Defender "speed loaders"? I had no idea that such a thing even existed.
I'm having a bit of a hard time with the Defender, because I tend to wack myself on the cheekbone every time I pull the trigger.....my technique needs to be improved. The stock's a bit long for me, I think.
Mike
Old March 26, 2002, 06:52 AM   #5
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Mike, you may want to refer to an old thread in the Archives about proper mounting techniques.

Also, a longish stock can be compensated for to some extent by extending the support hand not quite so far. If you're getting wacked in the face, it's as likely poor fit as form.

HTH....
Old March 26, 2002, 12:33 PM   #6
SDC

Hi again, Mike. You're right about the Liberal slime here in Ottawa (I haven't yet had the chance to tell Alan Rock to his face what I think of him). Anyway, if you want a shotgun speedloader, probably the most common one out there is the Tec speedloader; you can get one at www.gunaccessories.com/Tecloader/index.asp ,
they show them for the 870, 12/1300, Mossberg 500, etc. There's also a company making detachable 10-round drum and 6-round box mag conversions, but so far they're only for the Mossberg and the 870. Good luck, and have fun.
Stacey C.
Old March 27, 2002, 11:27 PM   #7
Mike Davies

Dave: Thanks for your thoughts on the stock fit of my Defender...the length of pull is a good inch too long for me, and, as you know, that makes quite a difference with a hard recoiling firearm.

SDC: Thanks for the link to the speedloader. I don't know if I'll be needing one any time soon, but it's handy to know where to get some if I need them!

Mike