The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old December 27, 2012, 09:01 AM   #26
Vireye

Bridgeport, CT started a buyback recently. About 130 guns turned in, 30 of them AR-type rifles.

$75 for a handgun, between $200-$400 for the rifles.
Old December 27, 2012, 11:28 AM   #27
JimDandy

Quote:
I say find the owners of all that were stolen and return them, take out the good and sell them legally, melt the junk. Oh and I'd be checking up on someone that turned in a valuable weapon for a few bucks, makes no sense to me.
It does happen. One lady turned in a one-of-a-kind gun... and I mean as I recall, the story literally made it out as a only-one-in-the-world to survive relic from WWII she "inherited" when her husband/father passed away. I don't remember the details of the gun or her situation because I ended up more focused on the humanity of the cops who stopped her from turning it in as WAY too valueable to screw her out of for melting down.
Old December 27, 2012, 12:32 PM   #28
SVO

Yahoo News had a short story with photos of the LA gun buy back. Yahoo stated that for a automatic weapon, you could get a $200 grocery gift card. They had a slide show to go with the story, but nothing to say that the photos weren't file photos of some sort. One photo showed a AK type weapon, another a AR type weapon. Another photo showed what appeared to be a Colt large frame type DA revolver, a High Standard type 22 pistol and what might have been a Ruger single action type revolver. Again, nothing to indicate that these were actual weapons turned in.
Old December 27, 2012, 01:08 PM   #29
JimDandy

Just remember, Obama just allowed the reimportation of more than 70K M1's for Korea you can buy from the governmentally chartered CMP for $900 then wants to ban them and buy them back for $500. No wonder we're headed for a fiscal cliff.
Old December 27, 2012, 01:20 PM   #30
Webleymkv

Quote:
Quote:
I say find the owners of all that were stolen and return them, take out the good and sell them legally, melt the junk. Oh and I'd be checking up on someone that turned in a valuable weapon for a few bucks, makes no sense to me.

It does happen. One lady turned in a one-of-a-kind gun... and I mean as I recall, the story literally made it out as a only-one-in-the-world to survive relic from WWII she "inherited" when her husband/father passed away. I don't remember the details of the gun or her situation because I ended up more focused on the humanity of the cops who stopped her from turning it in as WAY too valueable to screw her out of for melting down
It was a Stg. 44 as I recall. You actually see a fair amount of that with gun buybacks: widows and adult children who've got no idea how much their husband/parent's gun is worth, but take it to the buyback beacuse they're "afraid to have it in the house" and get pennies on the dollar compared to what it's worth. [SARCASM] Yeah, way to go. That really gets the guns out of the hands of all those little old ladies who turn our streets into rivers of blood.[/SARCASM]
Old December 27, 2012, 05:11 PM   #31
Hogeman

JWT Wonder how many guns they'd get that weren't absolute junk?
Mostly junk and or stolen.
Old December 27, 2012, 05:13 PM   #32
Ol' Nick

Here in Aus. when we had the buy back firearms were bought for market value for type. That meant that even if you had a custom 700 you were paid the same price as a stock one. Real fair valuations I don't think..
Another problem was that there were some people involved who weren't exactly honest as firearms that were handed in were discovered years later in the hands of criminals in differant states. They were found during police raids.
Old December 27, 2012, 10:56 PM   #33
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
$75 for a handgun, between $200-$400 for the rifles.
Let's say the courts find such a measure not to be in violation of the 5th Amendment (which is really unlikely). Let's then say that compensation is $500 per rifle.

Assuming we have 12 million of those in civilian hands (I've seen estimates between 8 and 20 million), that's six billion dollars. Assuming that half the firearms in civilian ownership are handguns and they offer a median amount of $300, that's 90 billion dollars.

Presented with such numbers, I wonder how many politicians would really feel so strongly about the idea.
Old December 27, 2012, 11:09 PM   #34
Webleymkv

Quote:
Assuming we have 12 million of those in civilian hands (I've seen estimates between 8 and 20 million), that's six billion dollars. Assuming that half the firearms in civilian ownership are handguns and they offer a median amount of $300, that's 90 billion dollars.

Presented with such numbers, I wonder how many politicians would really feel so strongly about the idea.
Further taxes on guns and ammunition would probably fit well into Feinstein and Cuomo's agendas.
Old December 27, 2012, 11:14 PM   #35
hermannr

I would suspect there would be a very large class action suit...they are not getting my 1930's Superposed for no $500. Smae goes for some of my compition pistols.
Old December 28, 2012, 11:22 AM   #36
Glenn E. Meyer

The media is chortling about the turn it. So they get 200 ARs in a big city. Well, how many of those guns have been sold - thousands - recently.

Great idea. Some people who don't want them, turn them in. And millions enter the populace.
Old December 28, 2012, 11:28 AM   #37
Mr Phil

Law will likley say they will give you Fair Market Value (FMV)

Oh, thats right... since you can not sell them FMV will be $0.00
Old December 28, 2012, 12:14 PM   #38
anothernewb

I could sell a firearm if I needed to, even at a loss, and still sleep fine at night. But I would never send one to a program that destroys them.
Old January 3, 2013, 11:56 AM   #39
bitttorrrent

there were some people involved who weren't exactly honest as firearms that were handed in were discovered years later in the hands of criminals in differant states. They were found during police raids.

This is what would happen here, especially in Chicago or other big city.
I would support cause it could help remove illegal guns in south or west side rough areas. high value ones would not be accepted.
if u offered cash and no questions some criminals or their girlfriend s might turn in for money. I think their are too many illegal guns on the south side and t he gangs shoot each other every d a y. they go v e Chi cc as go a bad name.
Old January 3, 2013, 06:22 PM   #40
WW2

I would sell my guns in the buy back program...

For $10,000,000 (after taxes) each!

Buyback programs do not work. This has been proven time and again. Criminals do not take their guns to a buy back. The crime rates in areas that have buyback programs do not change at all.

The latest buyback program in Los Angeles was touted as a great success. How did they measure this success? They counted 1,500 guns turned in (the city population is about 3,800,000) so it was a success.

Let's see if this is true or not:

- If the statistic of 60% of Americans owning guns is correct, this means that there are 2,280,000 gun owners in the City of Los Angeles. Assuming that only one gun is owned by each person, that means that 0.066% (that is ZERO point ZERO SIX SIX Percent) of the guns in Los Angeles were turned in. So now there are only 2,278,500 guns in Los Angeles. This is such a small change as to be insignificant.

- Crime rates have never gone down after any gun buy back in Los Angeles; ever! This is the only true measure of a buyback program as this is the stated goal of these programs. Since the announcement of a success was the very next day, it was impossible to verify ANY change in the crime rate to verify success. So, this is simply a “feel good” program that accomplishes nothing.

Overall, these programs are a complete waste of taxpayer money!

Luke 22:36
Quote:
Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.
Old January 3, 2013, 07:48 PM   #41
BGutzman

I have guns I in part inherited.. There is no amount of money on this earth that would separate them from me in a willing manner... Its not about what the guns fair value is dollar wise, its what those memories are worth... It is also about if I have no gun then how do I defend myself and my family? Rights don't come from government and although government can suppress rights it can never eliminate the right itself..
Old January 4, 2013, 12:59 AM   #42
doofus47

Quote:
Another problem was that there were some people involved who weren't exactly honest as firearms that were handed in were discovered years later in the hands of criminals in differant states. They were found during police raids.
ol' nick

Nick, it's not just a down-under problem. People here talk about how high-capacity rifle magazines should only be used by police or military; well, I read (and saw a picture) in my Sunday paper where the latest LA buy back saw the return of 2 empty rocket launcher tubes. If the military can't keep track of it's large-size hardware and keep that sort of stuff off the street how the heck does anyone think that high-cap magazines will remain only in the hands of the military/police? (Not that that disparity in itself isn't an invitation to problems).

Madness.
Old January 4, 2013, 01:15 AM   #43
Dr Big Bird PhD

If a magazine capacity law is passed, I motion to have everyone in TFL refer to them instead as "large plastic boxes with springs".
Who you are is not a function of where you are. -Off Minor
Old January 4, 2013, 02:13 AM   #44
Sport45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Big Bird PhD
I motion to have everyone in TFL refer to them instead as "large plastic boxes with springs".
Can't do that. Very few of mine have any plastic in them.