The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 3, 2012, 07:24 PM   #1
coyota1

Adjusting over travel on a remington 722

I want to rid my 722 of over travel as much as I can. If the trigger can still break, is it possible that the screw that adjusts this still be too far in?
Old December 3, 2012, 09:22 PM   #2
coyota1

Maybe I didn't explain myself as well as I should. I want to optimize my trigger travel to zero, which I believe I have, but.. to do this the over travel screw is turned in. If the trigger is working and there seems to be no travel is that optimum?
Old December 4, 2012, 01:10 AM   #3
hoghunting

Did you bang the rifle with the action cocked to make sure the rifle won't fire by accident. Without enough sear engagement, it's like an accident waiting to happen. Cock it, bang the butt on the carpeted floor to protect the buttpad and see if it fires, then do the same thing with the safety on. After that, release the safety and see if it fires without pulling the trigger. Repeat the whole process a few times.
Old December 4, 2012, 02:30 AM   #4
coyota1

I didn't mess with the sear engagement, just the take up screw which shouldn't affect the sear engagement.?
Old December 5, 2012, 12:50 AM   #5
hoghunting

After you adjust for zero overtravel, I would back the screw out 1/4 to 1/2 turn as you don't want to be in the field and find out you can't pull the trigger because there isn't enough overtravel.
Old December 5, 2012, 02:31 AM   #6
coyota1

Actually that's about what I did. Just didn't want any more overtravel than I needed. I hope to field test it tomorrow.
Old December 5, 2012, 01:53 PM   #7
Jerry45

I have been shooting 1911's for many years and have always been told that "0" over-travail was best and always set my triggers that way. I read something the other day that changed my mind about the over-travail on my rifle triggers. "You want over-travel in your rifle trigger because you don't want the trigger contacting anything once it brakes until after the bullet leaves the barrel." Seems to make sense.
Old December 5, 2012, 05:20 PM   #8
coyota1

OK so if you have some over travel you won't "bottom out".