The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 28, 2015, 01:12 AM   #1
Cossack

Smith and Wesson Bluing discoloration - cause?

I'm looking at buying a Smith and Wesson 581 long distance, and I noticed a smear in the bluing near the muzzle. The seller agrees that the bluing is slightly discolored. What could this be? could it be a result of touch-up bluing where it had been worn?

The good part is that the seller offered me a discount - so the price is $450, which is all one could ask for on a 581. I'll probably take him up on it, even though I've been leaning toward the stainless 681.

Old January 28, 2015, 05:02 AM   #2
peggysue

Salts in the holster it was stored and carried in. Maybe

Last edited by peggysue; January 28, 2015 at 12:33 PM.
Old January 28, 2015, 05:30 AM   #3
highpower3006

Could be lots of different reasons. For that price I wouldn't worry about it.
Old January 28, 2015, 07:51 AM   #4
CajunBass

Looks like normal wear to me. I wouldn't worry about it.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old January 28, 2015, 08:41 AM   #5
SaxonPig

Minor variations in color can occur in bluing. Unless it's really bad it doesn't mean much to most people. I can't even see it in the photo.
Old January 28, 2015, 01:29 PM   #6
T. O'Heir

Looks like normal holster wear to me too. Suspect the holster held it by the muzzle vs the whole thing. Cold bluing will fix it. No big deal.
Old January 28, 2015, 02:34 PM   #7
Jim Watson

Looks like it has already had a dose of cold blue to touch up holster wear.
Old January 28, 2015, 03:05 PM   #8
Grant D

Yup... looks like cold blue to me also.
Had some on the S&W Model 27-2 that I just bought, and it came off when I cleaned it, so I just put a little back on to cover the scratch.
Old January 28, 2015, 03:30 PM   #9
Sevens

At $450 for a Model 581 -- if everything else is in order with that revolver, it would be a heckuva deal even if someone had engraved POOPFACE in to the barrel. Great price for a (comparatively) scarce revolver.

(scarce compared to the 686 and 586)

If I were you, my next post in this thread would say "I have it in my hands and this is what I see with my own eyes and not long distance through a picture!"
Old January 29, 2015, 09:30 AM   #10
Cossack

Thanks olks - there's just one thing I'm waiting on.

I was contacted by the owner of this website - http://www.thegunstash.com/ -in response to my armslist ad for a Smith 581 of 681. He seems legit and he's sent me any detail photos I ask for (like this), but I've run into scammers before and want to know if there's anything I ought to be worried about or safeguards I can take to protect myself.

I also googled his name, Denis Vanegas, and he's got a business license in Miami and seems to do a few types of work. I've found no complaints about him or the website, but it's pretty new.

I've seen no red flags, but want to be careful. Anything I should consider?
Old January 29, 2015, 02:43 PM   #11
Sevens

Two things come to mind when I follow your link. First is that the stocks on that gun *MAY* not be original and I simply have to use the term *MAY* because the 581/681 is scarce enough that I simply don't see them. I had a friend back in the early 90's who brought one along on a range day (it belonged to his brother) and it was the only time I've ever handled a 581 and I bet I have seen maybe 2 or 3 other since that time.

Of course, I say this as a guy who has not specifically been chasing them, I may have overlooked some without noticing... but it's safe to say that since that time, I've seen many dozens of 586's and a gujillion 686 revolvers. The wood stocks shown in the pic with that 581 are the older style Magna and the 586/686 of that vintage all came with the Goncalo Alves stock (Goncalo Alves Target maybe was the name?)

If I had to guess, I might suggest that the pictured revolver was some manner of a service issue or contract fulfillment for some agency? But I really don't know. Stocks of this era are not marked or numbered to the gun iteself, but I have two S&W revolvers from the 80's that I got new and those actually have a production date stamped in ink inside them.

The other point I want to make is that a 581 no-dash is subject to a still active and honored Smith & Wesson recall. This is not some catastrophic issue, it's a replacement of the bushing around the firing pin hole in the breech face and all evidence has been that S&W is still happy to handle this quick and easy work if/when you have the gun in your hands and you contact them. Behind the crane/yoke on the frame will be an "M" stamp if the revolver has already had this recall performed, and no stamp if it has not.

My opinion? May not translate at all to your needs -- I am a shooter and I absolutely love to shoot and own a variety of guns. As such, I will nearly always choose the handgun with some visible exterior wear and a SOLIDLY lower price than I would for a (seemingly!) "better" finish priced higher. That is simply how I enjoy my hobby, so if you're looking for opinions on which way to go, I like the first one better at $450... but in defense of the second one, if the seller is a "bona-fide" gun dealer of some manner, it should bring a little piece of mind with regards to packaging securely, shipping to FFL, etc etc.

Even still, I'd choose the first one. But definitely update this thread, I love a happy ending.
Old January 29, 2015, 08:51 PM   #12
Cossack

Sevens, I agree with you. My main concern is not getting scammed by someone and making sure the seller is legitimate.

I don't mind a used gun with some wear and I shoot everything I have. good point about the grips - even if they aren't original, I'm glad it comes with magnas, since I'd have to hunt down a pair if it came with rubber grips like so many do.

I'll let y'all know how it turns out.
Old February 17, 2015, 07:01 PM   #13
Cossack

It has a happy ending! I can recommend dealing with the Gun Stash - communication was excellent, and the revolver is in excellent mechanical condition.

It's a shooter! For $450, i think it's all I can expect, and perhaps a little more. There's some blue wear, but it's not abused.
Old February 17, 2015, 08:56 PM   #14
Sgt127

Early 80's I recall some weird issues with blued Smiths. They looked "ok" but, it's like the bluing never really set.

It's looked a little foggy. And, if you took an oily rag and rubbed it, the rag would turn brown, and the blueing just stayed kind of fogged.

I has a 586 that was like that and a 36. I remember I sent the 36 in for a refinish and it came back the same.

Trying out a new blue formula? Bad batch? New guy running the blueing tanks? I never figured it out.
Old February 17, 2015, 10:02 PM   #15
Model12Win

Looks like a little honest holster wear to me, nothing to worry about uh'tawl.

I love me some Model 581, it's got the sleek looks of the Model 13 but with the beefy underlug barrel and larger frame. Makes for one heck of a nice combo. If this gun doesn't come with some S&W target stocks, it should.
Old February 18, 2015, 11:45 AM   #16
bedbugbilly

Jim Watson +1 I agree with what Jim says. Several of my Smiths have wear like that from just good honest use and carry. It looks like a "touch up" from what I'm seeing. Won't hurt a thing and just gives it "character" and sounds like he is giving a fair price on it as well.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63