The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old March 3, 2014, 06:20 PM   #1
mk70ss

Gonna Buy Something Tomorrow.....UPDATE w/pics

Going to my LGS tomorrow and need something new. They have over 6000 guns in stock, and I always find something good there.

I am thinking I want another quality .22. Maybe a Colt Diamondback, S&W model 41, or a High Standard Victor. But I do like the Kimber Solo.

I have a safe full of range guns, carry guns, and hunting guns, plus AR's and an AK. I don't NEED anything, just want something I don't have already.

Last edited by mk70ss; March 4, 2014 at 01:29 PM.
Old March 3, 2014, 06:40 PM   #2
Sparks1957

Quote:
I don't NEED anything, just want something I don't have already
Ahh, yes. That sounds familiar.
Old March 3, 2014, 09:04 PM   #3
Cheapshooter

With the need bases covered, and the green in my pocket it would be the S&W Model 41.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old March 3, 2014, 09:21 PM   #4
Venom1956

I usually just bide my time until something special pops up @ the used counter. What the special is? Only you know when u see it.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old March 3, 2014, 11:05 PM   #5
pilpens

Without knowing what you already have, all I can say is have fun shopping.
=======
1. A S&W 41 is nice --- I have a 5.5 heavy barrel but if I am to do it again, I would get the 7 incher.
2. Double stack 1911?
3. 1911 (9mm or .45) with 6" barrel.
Old March 3, 2014, 11:25 PM   #6
SHE3PDOG

Quote:
They have over 6000 guns in stock
Frothing has occurred. That sounds like heaven.

Anyways, of the ones you listed, I'd go with the S&W 41.

Marine, NRA member, SAF Defender's Club member, and constitutionally protected keeper and bearer of firearms
Old March 4, 2014, 06:38 AM   #7
mk70ss

She3pDog, this is the best stocked gun store I've ever seen, and it's five miles from my place. Check it out.

http://www.franklingunshop.com/
Old March 4, 2014, 07:34 AM   #8
Grant D

Going to a gun show this weekend, looking for a Colt Diamondback also, or whatever other Colt revolver I can find.
Here's another good gun store to check out
http://www.collectorsfirearms.com/
I've bought a few from them over the years.
Old March 4, 2014, 01:32 PM   #9
mk70ss

Found exactly what I needed. A mint Colt Match Target Woodsman with two mags. I went right to the range with 100 rounds of Winchester standard velocity ammo and tested it. The target pictured was at 20 yards offhand, ten shots.

A very happy day.

Old March 4, 2014, 01:50 PM   #10
SHE3PDOG

That's an absolutley fantastic choice. I've been looking at picking up one for a little while now.

By the way, that gun store you linked...just wow. You are a very lucky gun enthusiast.

Marine, NRA member, SAF Defender's Club member, and constitutionally protected keeper and bearer of firearms
Old March 4, 2014, 07:31 PM   #11
4 Paws

Nice purchase. I haven't seen one of those in quite some time around here. Looks like a nice grouping also.
Old March 5, 2014, 04:19 PM   #12
Sevens

Quote:
I am thinking I want another quality .22. Maybe a Colt Diamondback, S&W model 41, or a High Standard Victor. But I do like the Kimber Solo.
Wow.

I am arguing with the guys, one on each of my shoulders, on how I should react to the quoted text.

I'll go with:
"So I was thinking I'd buy a car this weekend. Had my eyes on a 1971 Camaro, a 1970 Buick GS or maybe that very cool '67 Pontiac Tempest. But I have to say that the new Ford Fusion really has my interest also!"
Old March 5, 2014, 04:34 PM   #13
mk70ss

The point was, I didnt NEED any one of the guns I was thinking about. I just WANTED something new, that I didn't have. The Kimber would have possibly replaced my XDS/s as my carry gun, the others are just fun guns.

And I prefer my 2012 Shelby for a fun car............

Old March 5, 2014, 09:33 PM   #14
HKFan9

Quote:
Going to my LGS tomorrow and need something new. They have over 6000 guns in stock, and I always find something good there.

I have a safe full of range guns, carry guns, and hunting guns, plus AR's and an AK. I don't NEED anything, just want something I don't have already.
Not to sound crass or rude but this always astonishes me. I get wanting a shiny new toy, I do, but generally unless a customer walks in to sell a gun and I am able to score a really good deal on it, I generally pre-plan firearms purchases after some careful planning and assessment.

To be honest some of the customers that want to stand there for an hour when we are busy and fondle every gun in the case between 1911's, revolvers, or .22 plinkers is a sure fire way to annoy most LGS employee's.

Now my ranting is over, let me try to facilitate what I mean. You want a new toy great, take a look at your collect and see what it is lacking. Do you need possibly a new carry gun such as the Kimber Solo you suggested, or do you want something more practical like a .22 target pistol you can shoot more. Keep in mind .22LR ammo is kind of tough to find these days. You need to go through somewhat of a process I would imagine, we can all throw out 1000's of guns WE think YOU should buy, but really you and you alone can answer that.
Old March 5, 2014, 09:44 PM   #15
mk70ss

I don't bother the employees at my LGS. I look at what they have and will compare a few and look at the overall condition. Then I pick what I want and lay my cash down and make them a profit.

You can shop the way you think it should be done, and when I'm spending my money, I'll do it my way, and buy what I want. Sometimes I just buy something I see because it's something I hadn't thought of. But either way, my cash is green and they are happy to sell to me.

Haven't you ever bought a new gun just because you wanted it, not because it filled a highly specific need or void in your collection.

Last edited by mk70ss; March 5, 2014 at 09:52 PM.
Old March 5, 2014, 10:45 PM   #16
KyJim

Some of the best handgun purchases I have made have been unplanned, especially used guns. Here are just a couple that I just happened by at the right time to make a deal:

SW 547

Colt Ultimate Officers

Old March 5, 2014, 11:42 PM   #17
Grundy53

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKFan9 View Post
Not to sound crass or rude but this always astonishes me. I get wanting a shiny new toy, I do, but generally unless a customer walks in to sell a gun and I am able to score a really good deal on it, I generally pre-plan firearms purchases after some careful planning and assessment.

To be honest some of the customers that want to stand there for an hour when we are busy and fondle every gun in the case between 1911's, revolvers, or .22 plinkers is a sure fire way to annoy most LGS employee's.

Now my ranting is over, let me try to facilitate what I mean. You want a new toy great, take a look at your collect and see what it is lacking. Do you need possibly a new carry gun such as the Kimber Solo you suggested, or do you want something more practical like a .22 target pistol you can shoot more. Keep in mind .22LR ammo is kind of tough to find these days. You need to go through somewhat of a process I would imagine, we can all throw out 1000's of guns WE think YOU should buy, but really you and you alone can answer that.
Wow.... maybe you are in the wrong line of work.
Old March 6, 2014, 01:27 AM   #18
SHE3PDOG

Quote:

The LGS the OP is talking about is pretty huge, so maybe it is a different story there, but my LGS loves talking to me about all the different guns and stuff. It probably helps that I actually spend my money there.

Old March 6, 2014, 07:32 AM   #19
mk70ss

Shep3dog, yes, I am on a first name basis and friends with the owner and his two brothers that run that store. I have spent a substantial amount of coin there, and they welcome me when I come in.
Old March 6, 2014, 01:49 PM   #20
Sevens

Hmmmm.

Buy them all.
Old March 6, 2014, 07:51 PM   #21
HKFan9

Not in the wrong line of work. I just deal with hundreds of people a day, and yes we have regulars, yes we have new guys to the sport we certainly spend a lot of time with, but a lot of customers this day in age are pretty inconsiderate. I know it sounds like I am being harsh, but really you don't have to do a song and dance or a sales pitch to sell a gun these days seeing as the demand is greatly above the supply. When there is a line of people waiting to be helped, probably isn't the best time to ask to pull out every single gun in the case with out having somewhat of an idea of what you are looking for. I understand your money is green and you will spend it how you want, but frankly so is the guys standing behind you in line, and chances are if you don't buy X Y or Z model that day, we will still sell it to someone else.

Quote:
I don't bother the employees at my LGS. I look at what they have and will compare a few and look at the overall condition. Then I pick what I want and lay my cash down and make them a profit.
That is perfectly acceptable and damn well encouraged, I am referring to the customers that literally know very little about guns (sadly there are more of them than us that inhabit these forums) asking to see everything and anything and tell me hunting stories in the middle of a busy weekend, asking questions than arguing with the advice you give them.

Quite honestly the worst of the worst are the customers who come up because they are impatient and interrupt me when I'm speaking to another customer. Like I said, people are inconsiderate.

Yes I have bought a gun that caught my eye, nothing wrong with that, but I generally do it at either gun shows, or a customer brought one in used to us and I can get a really good deal on it, or its not something you see every day. Or when a dealer runs a special promo for us, I will buy something just because I pay next to nothing for it.

Clearly I was speaking generically, and the more information you posted clearly shows you're on good terms with your LGS owners. However sometimes we are happy to see people because you know the saying about a fool and his money .

You can take it as me being a jerk but I am quite the opposite, however I am a firm believer in doing a little R&D before setting out to buy. Generally leads to better decisions in any aspect not just firearms.

Funny how quick people are to judge me being an annoyed counter jockey yet if you make a thread about idiots you have seen in gun stores it fills up with stories VERY fast. You would be annoyed to if you were the one dealing with all those idiots. Just the fact whoever is reading this took the step to actually log on or sign up to a firearms message board, is a step ahead of Joe Average customer. Couple that with hearing 1000 adaptations of the same government conspiracy theories I get to hear all day long.

Any how, Congrats on the Woodsman, its a good looking gun. Hopefully you got a good deal.
Old March 7, 2014, 07:41 AM   #22
mk70ss

HKFan9, I know what you mean. I see customers that come into the LGS and ask to see 20 different guns, ask all manner of ridiculous questions, then leave without buying anything, saying they saw the same gun for $20 cheaper at another shop.

I have been a lifelong shooter and probably bought/ traded well over 150 different guns. ( Ihave 27 in the safe now....) my purchases now, tend to be guns that either I have always wanted but couldn't find or afford, like the new Woodsman or the Diamondback.

But, when a new model that would work as a carry gun comes out, like the Kimber Solo, I am open to that as well. I'm not the guy that sees every new "shiny, whizz bang" model and have to have it.
Old March 8, 2014, 04:43 PM   #23
HKFan9

The Solo is nice.... if you follow the directions. I have sold a few, tough to get hands on sometimes, but I got a chance to shoot them with the Kimber reps before. They and the manual both tell you its designed for premium ammo only. I fed some 115 ball through it with the Rep, and he warned me it might stove pipe, however it ran fine.

Some guys say its a design flaw... but I kinda look at it like how certain cars (i would assume your mustang) is meant to run on high test gasoline.
Old March 8, 2014, 08:00 PM   #24
SHE3PDOG

I never really thought about it like that, HKFan9, but I suppose that is a good point. You see the same thing with 22lr guns too. Some of them need the nicer stuff to function properly.

Old March 9, 2014, 07:11 PM   #25
HKFan9

I am not shy to expensive guns, nor am I any form of rich, I tossed the idea of a solo around in my head, and the two I shot performed well, I think it is a good design like I said when used with proper ammo. However I find it hard to justify as a carry gun given the price tag. Don't get me wrong I own $2000 1911's and AR's and Sako rifles ect, however for carry guns I think I lean towards the KISS principal. I find myself with either a simple 5 shot revolver, 4'' 1911.... right now I just picked up a glock 19 gen 3 frame I plan to build a carry gun off of.

My school of thought is my carry gun's are going to get more pocket lint, banged off more chair backs, ect. I don't need a high end gun to be reliable. I keep having to talk myself out of a STI Shadow however.