The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old March 7, 2014, 02:57 PM   #1
oregonlady

Lightweight Suggestions, Please!

Hi - I'm new here. Proud owner of a S&W model 40 .38 Spl. Centennial, with original box dated April 15, 1955. Serial # 190XX. (Lady Smith Hammerless)

I love to target shoot, and I occasionally open carry, if I feel the need. I'm getting older , and have a bum ring finger on my right hand, and I'm finding that the Lady is feeling too heavy, and the grip safety is awkward.

Two questions: What might she be worth? And what nice lightweight would be good for target shooting? Not sure I want to part with her, but I can't seem to find one online that is comparable for a price range. She's in PERFECT shape.

Hope I posted this in the proper place - thanks for any advice!

O and ps - I have very small hands.
Old March 7, 2014, 04:05 PM   #2
Bill DeShivs

The model 40 was not one of the "Ladysmith" models.

Last edited by Bill DeShivs; March 7, 2014 at 08:44 PM.
Old March 7, 2014, 04:46 PM   #3
Sevens

I think we're kind of talking about two entirely different needs/wants here.

A great gun for carry/defense, especially if you want to carry something with less weight/bulk... is simply not going to be the best choice for target shooting on a fun range day. The two don't really occupy the same place.

The larger and heavier it is (within reason, of course), the far more friendly it will be for target shooting. Heavy eats up recoil, gets your front sight back on target faster, and cushions all the shooting. It allows you to shoot more ammo, shoot longer, enjoy all of it more. And the longer the barrel (again, within reason) gives you a longer sighting plane, which makes it -FAR- easier to hit what you are aiming at.

For carry, weight compromises comfort while it's on your waist/holstered. And size, barrel length, etc -- all makes it harder to carry discreetly or concealed, if that's the choice. You mentioned opened carry, but the larger it is, the more things you bang, bump and knock it in to while walking around.

As for what your revolver might be worth...
Arrrgh, that's a darn difficult question also. Depends on where you sell it, it's condition, etc etc. The original box and your short description make it sound like it would be a genuine player for a decent return. But if you take to that any gun store on this planet, you will not get anywhere near it's "worth" in return. Gunbroker or a gun show, to the right buyer, would net more.

It almost seems like we've got three different things to discuss here.
--what might be a good carry/defense option?
--what might be a great range, practice, and trigger time option?
--how to best forward your old, classic J-frame onward for the best $ return
Quote:
Hope I posted this in the proper place
The revolver area of the site is a better place. Moderators may move it for you.

Welcome to TFL Forums.
Old March 7, 2014, 07:15 PM   #4
oregonlady

Thank you both very much for your advice - I had heard it referred to as a 'LadySmith', but I'm no gun expert, and it's beside the point, anyway.

I do understand the difference in weight vs. recoil, etc...It's just difficult for me to operate one-handed anymore, with the grip safety, as my grip strength has decreased. I'll just switch to a two-handed stance, and all should be well.

I've had her since 93, and no real desire to part with her, so I shall just adapt. She has a 2" barrel, so I don't really knock into stuff when I carry.

I really appreciate your time!

Last edited by oregonlady; March 7, 2014 at 07:22 PM.
Old March 12, 2014, 08:56 AM   #5
Tortuga12

You could always take it to a gunsmith and have the grip safety pinned.
Old March 13, 2014, 08:50 AM   #6
KyJim

Your Model 40 is built on Smith and Wesson's J-frame (small frame). Lightweight "snubby" models in .38 special and without the grip safety include:

Current Production
Model 637 -- traditional revolver look, hammer can be cocked

Model 638 -- has a shroud over the hammer for better concealed carry but the hammer can be cocked

Model 442/642 -- referred to as a "hammerless" model but it really has an internal hammer, can only be fired double action (cannot cock the hammer)

Bodyguard -- this is a polymer framed revolver (double action only) that comes with traditional sights and a laser sight; to avoid confusion, note that SW also makes a semi-auto pistol called the Bodyguard. Some people love them. I didn't and sold mine.

For target practice, I would recommend the 637 and, if you want the option of concealed carry, the 638.

There are many lightweight used SW J-frame revolvers on the market in which SW recommends against using high pressure ammo, called +P ammunition. For target shooting, you probably don't want that anyway. Models include the 37 (exposed hammer) and 38 (shrouded hammer).

----------

If the weight of the gun is not the real problem, but the grip safety is, then let me suggest you also consider J-frame revolvers with a three inch barrel. Smith has made a few lightweight J-frames with three inch barrels but they are harder to find and/or more expensive. Three inch barrels give a much better sight radius than the two inch models but still don't get in the way if you sit, etc. --- at least that's my experience.

SW made a lot of three inch Model 36s so you should be able to find one if interested (they are no longer in production). SW still makes the Model 60 .357 magnum with three inch barrel. It shoots .38 specials which is probably what you want for target practice. Prices for steel .357 magnums are usually close to .38 specials. In lightweight models, a .357 magnum costs considerably more and has considerably more recoil when shooting magnums.

I've stuck to the J-frame size since that's what you currently have. If you moved up to K-frame revolvers, you can get some truly fine target pistols, but no reason to go there unless you're interested.
Old March 13, 2014, 09:20 AM   #7
CWKahrFan

Quote:
And what nice lightweight would be good for target shooting?
I find the Kahr CW9 to be a great size and weight for carry and it's surprisingly accurate at the range... and a relatively soft shooter.
Old March 13, 2014, 01:45 PM   #8
dgludwig

Quote:
I had heard it referred to as a 'LadySmith', but I'm no gun expert, and it's beside the point, anyway.
The point will be valid if you ever decide to sell your nice Smith.

As much as I like S&W J-frame revolvers, I'll have to concede that the da pull on the Ruger LCR revolver is markedly smoother and lighter than the Smith in my experience. The op may want to try the Ruger out to see if it might be a better option for her.

And welcome to The Firing Line, oregonlady!