The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old November 9, 2013, 12:11 AM   #1
couldbeanyone

Round Count

Who here has over 30,000 rounds through a single handgun? Tell us about it. Is it still shooting well? Has anything broken?
Old November 9, 2013, 01:33 AM   #2
Chaz88

I do not know the exact round count but I have been shooting the same mod. 28 S&W for about 34 years. The count might need to use scientific notation to keep the decimal places manageable and it is still my top shooter and nothing has ever broken on it, knock on wood.

No spelun and grammar is not my specialty. So please don't hurt my sensitive little feelings by teasing me about it.
Old November 9, 2013, 08:08 AM   #3
bushrat1

I first purchased my Glock 17 in 1988 when I lived in Virginia. Over the last 25 years I have run at least 1500 rounds a year of a variety of 9mm loads. I have used both factory and handloads, which included domestic production and imported, both HP and FMJ.

The is my ccw weapon, and has been used for both plinking and NRA Action Pistol. During this time I have had two case ruptures using factory remanfactured ammo. The gun is cleaned after every range visit. It runs beautifully, and has retained what I consider to be "combat" accuracy.

I did replace the front sight soon after purchase and installed a Trijicon night sight which finally came loose in 2012 and had to be re-tightened. In 2011, one of the factory magazines that came with the gun finally reached a point where it would not lock the slide back after the last shot so I just use that one for plinking.

This has been my "baby", and one of the best firearms purchases I have ever made. I can't speak for the present day generation of Glocks, but I wouldn't trade this one for anything in the world.
Old November 9, 2013, 09:48 AM   #4
AK103K

I have a Glock 17 I shoot 300 rounds (on average) a week through. Been doing it for the past 4 years or so now. I figure it will pass 60000 rounds later this year.

I replace the RSA once or twice a year, and Ive replaced an extractor once. Well, actually twice, but I put the old one back in when I realized it was the brass, not the extractor that was the problem. Knowing that now, replacing the first may not have been necessary as well.

I cant remember the gun ever having a problem or stoppage that wasnt ammo related or intentionally induced.
Old November 9, 2013, 09:59 AM   #5
Bob Wright

I keep a log book for all of my centerfire guns. The highest right now is my Ruger Blackhawk .45 Colt, nearing 20,000 rounds.

My latest count showed my log book standing at about 250,000 rounds, but this is spread out over dozens of revolvers, plus one auto-loader I tried out once.

As to gun endurance, the most problematic gun I ever had was an early S&W Model 29. This gun was one of several Model 29s I've had over the years, and solved its problem with an upgrade when S&W installed the "Endurance Package" and pretty well ended its dismal service record. I hasten to add this was one of several Model 29s, others of which were much more trouble free.

Bob Wright

Last edited by Bob Wright; November 9, 2013 at 05:01 PM.
Old November 9, 2013, 11:13 AM   #6
MarkCO

Taurus M65 (my first handgun new in 1988) is now right at 42K and all factory stock. Mostly shoots 148s at about 650 fps, so not a lot of horsepower.

Glock 22, new in 1992. It has a Wilson barrel, ZEV connector and a stainless rod. I have gone through it 3 times in detail. New mag release spring and slide release. 4 new striker springs and safety plunger springs, 14 recoil springs. It has a total of 89K rounds on it plus or minus a few hundred. Maybe 2K are SD loads, 80K are 180s at around 950 fps and the other 5K are 180s at about 700 fps. This was a replacement of my original G22 that had about 10K on it when it blew up.

Ruger MkII, new in 1995. Bone stock and pretty close to 50K rounds. That might be plus or minus a few K because I don't track it as close.

Glock 35, bought new in 1999. Passed 65K, rebuilt it and sold it. The current owner has another 20K on it. Broke a Ti firing pin. Had a bought of malfunctions around 30K related to a damaged striker channel caused by the Ti pin. About the same maintenance schedule as the G22 above.

S&W M&P Pro9 just hit 30k last month. 3 recoil springs and 100%. I had the dreaded accuracy plunge around 4K and put a KKM barrel in it.
Old November 9, 2013, 11:16 AM   #7
JayCee

I imagine my Ruger Mark II pistol has probably twice that number of rounds through it. It was bought new back in the early '80s and a normal field session with it involves shooting 500 or so rounds at a time (this of course was back when you could find .22s for a reasonable price). The extractor broke a few years back, but that's been the only hiccup. Oh, and I clean it MAYBE once every couple of years.

“If I owned Texas and hell, I'd rent out Texas and live in hell.” - General Phillip H. Sheridan
Old November 9, 2013, 11:29 AM   #8
4runnerman

Not eve close to you guys. I only have maybe 7000 down my 45 now,but still going strong.
Old November 9, 2013, 04:27 PM   #9
BigJimP

I have a pair of Wilson Combat 1911's....both 5" guns...

One in 9mm ( Protector model, all stainless) that is coming up on 7 yrs old & has over 50,000 rds thru it now ....its my primary "range - practice gun". At about 40,000 rds or so, I broke an extractor ...Wilson Combat warranted it -they paid shipping both ways - and I had it back in about 10 days...all free.

My primary carry gun is a Wilson CQB - 5" gun in .45acp...its about 10 yrs old now...and has about 30,000 - 35,000 rds thru it ...never had an issue with it.
--------------
I have a few S&W revolvers....that I've had a long time...( since late 70's or early 80's ) ....model 19's, 27's ( .357 mag ) and 29's..(.44 mag )...my estimate on round count thru them is about 25,000 each ...but I'm not positive....never a problem with any of them ( I only shoot jacketed 158gr loads in the .357 mags )...none of the hotter 125gr loads......
-----------------
I'm a believer in Wilson Combat and the older S&W revolvers...especially if you take care of them ! ( they all get cleaned and lubed every time they're shot / and at least once a year, I take every gun I have, if I fired it much at all - down to a bare frame for inspection, cleaning and lube...)...

I have several other 1911's ...that I know will not meet the round count of my Wilson's ...without some issues ( Baer, Ed Brown, Kimber...)....and I have about 25 or so S&W revolvers...that will live on in my family for another 3 or 4 generations, I hope...
Old November 9, 2013, 06:26 PM   #10
MR.G

I have never kept a complete round count but have two revolvers that have been around since the 70's and sure they have well over 30,000 rounds through each of them. Neither one has had any problems, and still look and shoot good.
Old November 9, 2013, 07:41 PM   #11
Nick_C_S

Colt 1911 Series 80. Purchased new in 1984. Not sure about the round count, but it's well into 5 figures. A couple parts needed replacing, but has otherwise run flawless. Been through a few recoil springs too.
Old November 9, 2013, 07:54 PM   #12
Dragline45

Being that in the past I bought, sold, and traded so often none of my guns really reached very high round counts except my Ruger MKIII and 10/22 which between the two of them probably have around 25,000 rounds. Although I am extremely satisfied with all the guns I currently own and I don't see myself selling any of them, so here's to a long and prosperous future
Old November 10, 2013, 06:15 AM   #13
darkgael

Rounds

Quote:
here has over 30,000 rounds through a single handgun? Tell us about it. Is it still shooting well? Has anything broken?
I have two guns - a High Standard Victor and a Colt NM Gold Cup - that each have at least 60K rounds through them.
Both are Bullseye Match guns.
The Colt has been fed handloads exclusively and has been ultra reliable since it was purchased. I do not remember the last time it ftf'd and I am pretty sure that I could count the FtFs on the fingers of one hand.
There have been no broken parts or repairs to the Colt. It was fairly accurate as it came from the factory; it was accurized further by the late George Madore of PA ("the Wizard of the 1911")
I have replaced the springs in the Victor and, over the years, two hairline cracks have developed on both sides of the gun at the rear of the magazine well. These have not affected function or accuracy.

Last edited by darkgael; November 10, 2013 at 06:25 AM.
Old November 10, 2013, 06:16 AM   #14
1goodshot

Somewhere around 25000 on my glock 22. Had to replace broken extractor, broken trigger spring.
Old November 10, 2013, 07:36 AM   #15
trigger643

Sig Sauer P226... #1. Approximately 30k rounds. This is not really fair. It was an early gun with sand cuts. Sand cuts are scallops along the frame rails. Sig only made them like this for a few years before identifying the weakness and doing a redesign. It shot great right up until it didn't.

Sig Sauer P226 #2 has around 25k and counting, still on it's original barrel, shoots great and recently had it's 2nd tune up -- new springs as a preventative maintenance.

P226 #3 "All Around" is new, with 2k rounds down it.

Old November 22, 2013, 04:51 PM   #16
WESHOOT2

I got a EAA Witness in 9x19 in 1994. I sent it Mr. Bob Cogan of Accurate Plating & Weaponry not long after, for hardfitting a Nowlin match barrel and hardchroming.
It has well over 100,000 rds thru it; nothing has ever broken.
Old November 23, 2013, 12:10 AM   #17
FrankenMauser

Browning Buckmark -129,200 rounds
No broken parts, ever.
It has, however, had a few recoil guide rod assemblies and recoil buffers replaced as routine maintenance. I also upgraded all of the hardware to the newer allen screws, rather than the crappy slotted screws (for convenience - not due to breakage).

The photo below shows how the barrel has mushroomed from the slide impacting it so many times. In a few years, I'll have to open the chamber back up with a chamber iron, since it's getting tighter and tighter as the barrel mushrooms.

It has a sibling (Target model - belongs to my brother now) that broke a firing pin at about 90k rounds, but it broke in a manner that let it continue functioning until it was replaced around 105k rounds. It has had a few new recoil buffers, and maybe one recoil guide rod assembly replaced as periodic maintenance.
Both Buckmarks are still running on original magazines (including spares purchased when they were new), with the exception of one circa ~1999 magazine.
Old November 23, 2013, 07:44 AM   #18
Peter M. Eick

My 38 special Diamondback has 47,320 rounds fired.

It has been back to Colt 3 times now. It was retimed alone once, the bolt head screw broke once and the main spring was replaced once. Each time the gun was retimed, so it has been retimed 3 times.

Interestingly all of the breaks occured since round 40,000. I think cumulative wear get the better of it.

The story on the gun is that I bought it in High School (used) and as I went through college I had to sell off every other gun I owned. I then got married and this was all the wife and I could afford so we both shot it for decades while we got established. Now it gets fired rarely. I picked up another nice one as a shooter and this guy gets shot light trailboss loads occasionally.

Fun gun, I really have some great memories with it and have always enjoyed it which is why I bought:

The guns that get the wear now are

I now collect and shoot 38/44 Heavy Duties. They are massive and solid guns. Maybe I am compensating for the wear problems on the Diamondback?
Old November 28, 2013, 09:31 PM   #19
scottys1

When I started shooting USPSA matches I used an EAA Witness in 9mm that I already had. It has racked up approximately 40,000 rounds. The only mods are an ambi safety (I'm a lefty) and a trigger with an overtravel screw. I changed the recoil spring 4 times and all the other springs once, more out of guilt than necessity. It has had no breakage and still shoots just fine.

I replaced it with a Glock 22 which now also has about 40,000 rounds through it. It has a Bar-Sto barrel, a steel guide rod/recoil spring assy, a 3.5# trigger connector, and aftermarket sights. I changed the recoil spring twice. No breakage and no malfunctions that were not shooter or ammo induced.

I later got a Para-Ordnance P-16 Limited for match use which now has approx 45,000 rounds on it. I immediately changed the plastic mag catch and mainspring housing for steel parts as the plastic didn't look durable enough for frequent use. It has a different trigger and sear, and a fiber optic front sight. The only breakage was the disconnector at about 25,000 rounds. The gun never malfunctioned, I noticed about half of the upper tip had broken off while cleaning it after a match. A new one was installed before using the gun again.

I have no complaints with any of these guns.