The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old December 14, 2012, 09:06 PM   #1
Mausermolt

RRA Coyote Accuracy

anyone out there have a 16" Model Coyote from RRA? Im very interested in getting one for my new passion for varmint hunting. i already have a 20" Bushmaster standard pre ban for my plinker. but i would like something accurate (sub MOA) in a carbine with a flat top for some optics. But if i cant get sub MOA groups out of it im not interested. Im a bit of a accuracy Nazi. if anyone has any other suggestions for uppers in this same category i would appreciate the advice.
Old December 15, 2012, 01:06 AM   #2
comn-cents

I have a 20" Coyote and love it, I also have a standard 16 it's a great shooter also. Some of the best factory triggers I've ever used.
Old December 15, 2012, 08:43 PM   #3
Mobuck

You won't know until you shoot it. On the plus side, you have many choices of ammo to try to achieve your goal.
Old December 16, 2012, 12:53 AM   #4
btmj

I have an RRA "elite operator" with a 16 inch standard barrel with a 1-4X optic. At 100 yards with the right ammo, it shoots a 1" group. So I would expect an RRA dedicated target rifle to do better. The Coyote has a better barrel than mine.

With M193 or M855 (Lake City) I get 1.5" or 2" groups. But with Winchester or Federal 223 softpoints in the 62 - 68 grain range, it does much better.
Old December 16, 2012, 08:24 AM   #5
wnycollector

You may also want to look at RRA's ATH and Predator Pursuit rifles. Both have RRA's NM barrels and they can really shoot. My ATH will shoot 3/4" groups with Prvi 75gr OTM's.
Old December 17, 2012, 01:27 PM   #6
Mausermolt

the coyote carbine just seems like its the perfect fit for what i want. heavy barrels are nice...but heavy! i want something light small and accurate. i roll my own also so the ammo i can tailor it to whatever i want.
Old December 17, 2012, 02:08 PM   #7
SFW

I have a friend that I shoot with that owns the 18' Coyote. His shoots .5 groups at 100 yards using cheap PMC ammo. So yes, they shoot very well. I get sub MOA groups from my Elite Operator 2 all day long.