The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 30, 2005, 03:34 AM   #1
3 weelin geezer

price of .500 s&w ammo

So far I have seen 20 rd boxes go for around $30 so would it be safe to say that paying $38 for some reloading dies is not too much? Who's got a .500 s&w ? I figgered it was a good deal. Now if I can just save up for a pistol....
Old August 30, 2005, 08:16 PM   #2
Wiskers

S&w 500

Yep I got one of those depth charge launchers. Buying the dies is only part of the expence, don`t forget the brass, & the bullets. I love mine, took my 1st deer with it last season, & dropped it in its tracks. I set up a 450 dillon dedicated to the 50 cal & scale measure all the powder. It gets expensive buyin factory ammo ,especially if you do lots of shootin. Plus one of the bennies is loading it down with lead bullets to aprox. a heavy 44 mag. I installed 3 halographic sites only to have them fall apart on jacketed loads.I do wish someone would make 1 that holds up on the S&W 500. Mine is accurate, & I have done some 100 yd. + shots which impressed a few fellows as well as my self. MY advice --- buy one with all the reloading gagets --
You will be impressed. And they do a number on g-pigs !!!

Wiskers
Old August 30, 2005, 10:28 PM   #3
Jbar4Ranch

I've got a first gen 8 3/8" with the fixed brake, and a 4" with interchangeable brakes. The 8 3/8" has a 4x Leupold on top and the 4"er has a 2x Leupold. With cast bullet handloads, the 4"er will consistently shoot sub-2", full cylinder, 5 shot groups @ 50 yards, and the 8 3/8"er will do sub-4", full cylinder, 5 shot groups @ 100 yards.

I cast my own bullets from *free lead*, so the cost of a finished reload is quite cheap... say ~10¢ for powder, ~2¢ for a primer, and ~2¢ for a gas check for a total of ~14¢ per round, or ~$2.80 per box of 20. This is the same exact box of 440 grain cartridges that CorBon sells for $40 and up.

SASS 47015