The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old May 5, 2013, 12:53 PM   #1
scrubcedar

Gun safe in child's room - Rob Pincus

One of our members has managed to tick off the anti's with a suggestion again. Congratulations Rob.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013...es-up-in-arms/

The specific piece of advice that's a problem seems to be that a gun safe in your children's room is a good tactic. This seems utterly sensible to me.

As it looks like within the next few months I will be taking in my daughter and grandchild I'd like to hear if any of you have tried this and how you've installed the safe itself.
Old May 5, 2013, 01:51 PM   #2
Plumbnut

I dont see the problem with it. The safe keeping of guns is very important.....where the safe is located is not that important as long as its locked.

Accountability and responsibility is what we need more of by every American.
Old May 5, 2013, 04:08 PM   #3
old bear

Quote:
Accountability and responsibility is what we need more of by every American.
A lot more...
Old May 5, 2013, 05:10 PM   #4
Alabama Shooter

I would have two issues. The first would be if a potential intruder were knowledgeable about the safe's location he could go to my kid's room first. Secondly kids talk a lot and he might tell people at school or wherever where the safe is. This could create unintended problems.
Old May 5, 2013, 05:21 PM   #5
Skadoosh

Agree with AS. If an intruder enters my home during the middle of the night, I want my gun safe to be where I am: in my bedroom.
Old May 5, 2013, 05:45 PM   #6
Plumbnut

If you read the article he says..."If I have an extra gun and extra safe why not put it in their closet"

Or something reallly close to that.....
Old May 5, 2013, 10:44 PM   #7
scrubcedar

It would definitely have to be something that would be known only to you and the wife.
Old May 5, 2013, 11:07 PM   #8
rburch

The theory behind the idea is that if someone breaks in, the first place you will want to go is to get your kids to make sure they are safe.

Instead of having to rush to get a gun then to the kids room, and then take the kids to your safe room, or grab the kids first without a gun and take them to your safe room.

Why not make the kids room your safe room, have a defensive gun secured in a wall safe high in their closet.

If someone breaks in you rush to their room, grab the gun and keep your kids safe.

Tactically there is some logic to the idea.
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
Old May 6, 2013, 12:01 AM   #9
craZivn

If someone breaks into my house, I will not have to rush to get my gun because it's right next to me while I sleep. Where it should be, whether it is in a safe or not. There are no small children in my house so I keep mine on the bedside table. For kid-proof solutions, they have biometric or coded safes.

Alabama Shooter brings up some good points as well.

Ivan
Old May 6, 2013, 12:45 AM   #10
rburch

Quote:
If someone breaks into my house, I will not have to rush to get my gun because it's right next to me while I sleep. Where it should be, whether it is in a safe or not.
Mine too, but what if you have to go to the bathroom?

Again this isn't about having your only gun stored there.

But if you keep a handgun by your bed, you could keep a shotgun in a safe in the kids room. That way you avoid the risks of moving through the home with a long gun, be still have a major boost to your firepower once you reach your Alamo.
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
Old May 6, 2013, 12:51 AM   #11
Plumbnut

I knew an FBI agent that kept a gun everywhere in the house he could sit,in the shower and even in the kitchen drawers and cabinet.

He was always three steps from a loaded gun.

He didn't have kids though
Old May 6, 2013, 07:52 AM   #12
Alabama Shooter

Quote:
I knew an FBI agent that kept a gun everywhere in the house he could sit,in the shower and even in the kitchen drawers and cabinet.
This is poor strategy. Better to have a gun on your hip at all times than scattered around your house in random locations. This makes you "0" steps from a loaded gun and you only need one gun.
Old May 6, 2013, 08:05 AM   #13
zincwarrior

I'm at the age with teenagers. Between them (no one told me they turn into vampires and never actually seem to sleep at night) banging around, their friends banging around, and the dogs banging around in turn, I'm not worried about being surprised by neighbors. I'm way more worried about getting any actual sleep.
Old May 6, 2013, 08:10 AM   #14
Plumbnut

I guess having a gun on your hip while in the shower or in your underwear would be difficult.

Having a gun on your hip would work great if in reality you could/would actually keep the gun on your hip.

The 2nd best thing would be to have guns everywhere like he did I suppose.

I dont know because personallly I'm not going to live like that but then again I'm not an FBI agent who worked against organized crime.

Last edited by Plumbnut; May 6, 2013 at 08:15 AM.
Old May 6, 2013, 09:20 AM   #15
Tactical Jackalope

My gun is always on me. When I'm in the shower it sits on the toilet seat, working on the car it's at 4:00, etc etc. you get it. I have all my other guns locked away at all times if they're not in my direct supervision.

I agree with Alabama Shooter though. Can't trust a kid to not yap away at school or his friends when they come over. You know they make and break friendships like changing underwear.

I wouldn't like that idea. But I understand the people that do. I say it's up to you, do what you'd like.
Old May 6, 2013, 12:24 PM   #16
craZivn

Quote:
Mine too, but what if you have to go to the bathroom?
My gun comes with me. And usually my flashlight too.

I do agree that it is a good idea to have a few guns placed in strategic locations about the house, but I think they should be in spots known only to yourself and those who you deem responsible, and out of reach or accidental discovery by children.

My relative's house was broken into while she was asleep about a year ago, and the thieves went through the kitchen drawers and started on the living room before they noticed that someone was sleeping in the house and bolted. So any guns should be in unusual locations, places not likely to be stumbled upon.

Guns are popular targets for crooks, I would not put them in the same room with children. Let the thief target your basement or den or someplace else in search of loot.
If he's in your kids' room, then engaging him will be complicated as he will have human shields or hostages readily available and the likelihood of accidentally injuring one of your family members, be it by over-penetration, or simply the deafening and trauma of seeing you kill someone in front of them, will be much increased.

So my opinion is, don't give him any reason to be near your kids! Put your valuables in a location where no-one will be at night, and any sound from that area is cause for investigation. If you do have a gun in your kids' room, it should be secret from them and located where they cannot accidentally stumble upon it. Don't rely on them telling you if they do, kids like secrets. They also like to share secrets with their friends. Who like to share them too.

Ivan
Old May 6, 2013, 12:40 PM   #17
BigTex308

Re: Gun safe in child's room - Rob Pincus

I have to say I agree with Rob on this one. If you're going to have an extra safe I think the kids room is the most tactically strategic place to have it.

Guns don't go off all by themselves in a locked safe. So safety concerns are mitigated.

I keep a pistol and shotgun by my bed at night. But I realize some don't and keep it secured in a safe.

You cant protect your kids if you're fumbling in a safe in your room. Personally I'd rather be with the kids and trying to get into a safe rather than halfway across the house.
I'm with Rob on this one.

Ike
Old May 6, 2013, 12:42 PM   #18
BigTex308

Re: Gun safe in child's room - Rob Pincus

Quote:
Originally Posted by craZivn View Post
My gun comes with me. And usually my flashlight too.

I do agree that it is a good idea to have a few guns placed in strategic locations about the house, but I think they should be in spots known only to yourself and those who you deem responsible, and out of reach or accidental discovery by children.

My relative's house was broken into while she was asleep about a year ago, and the thieves went through the kitchen drawers and started on the living room before they noticed that someone was sleeping in the house and bolted. So any guns should be in unusual locations, places not likely to be stumbled upon.

Guns are popular targets for crooks, I would not put them in the same room with children. Let the thief target your basement or den or someplace else in search of loot.
If he's in your kids' room, then engaging him will be complicated as he will have human shields or hostages readily available and the likelihood of accidentally injuring one of your family members, be it by over-penetration, or simply the deafening and trauma of seeing you kill someone in front of them, will be much increased.

So my opinion is, don't give him any reason to be near your kids! Put your valuables in a location where no-one will be at night, and any sound from that area is cause for investigation. If you do have a gun in your kids' room, it should be secret from them and located where they cannot accidentally stumble upon it. Don't rely on them telling you if they do, kids like secrets. They also like to share secrets with their friends. Who like to share them too.

Ivan
How would the intruder know that the safe was in your kids closet?

Ike
Old May 6, 2013, 01:20 PM   #19
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTex308
How would the intruder know that the safe was in your kids closet?
Because he read on the Internet that some expert was promoting that it would be a good idea to keep your gun safe in your kid's bedroom closet. He might not really know, but he'd have reason to take a look.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Old May 6, 2013, 01:32 PM   #20
Skans

I don't know about you folks, but I have fairly limited closet space in my house. If I get an extra safe, that means I have to get rid of someone's stuff. Wife's stuff????? Kid's stuff????? Dog's stuff???? Yeah, like any of that's going to fly. It may be tactically savoy to put a gun safe in your kids room - it just ain't ever gonna happen. That's like asking "What if you could travel back in time and......?"
Old May 6, 2013, 03:52 PM   #21
FireForged

A Kids room is their little universe of control... if you want a kid to think about something, put it in their room. If you want a kid to talk, text, blog, chat about something, put it in their room. If you want every kid who ever enters that room to talk, text, blog, think, chat about or mess with something, put it in there. If you don't like those possibilities, don't do it.
Old May 6, 2013, 04:58 PM   #22
Merad

Agree with FireForged... if you put it in the kids room and don't tell them, they will find it and a picture of it will probably be on facebook 30 seconds later. If you do tell them about it, they're still very likely to tell their friends about it (who will tell their friends, who will tell their friends...), and if your kid likes a challenge they might make it their personal mission to find out what's in the safe.

Tactically the idea is reasonable, but I don't see any way to execute it well. And it's just foolish to huff and puff and act like the anti's don't have some valid concerns here.
Old May 6, 2013, 07:41 PM   #23
CurlyQ.Howard

Well, some inventive type is going to have to create a safe that's really a trap. And this safe/trap is only installed in the kids' bedroom. Then the interloper goes to steal guns and is trapped in the safe/trap, or else the interloper is wary of going into a safe in the kids' bedroom as it might just be a trap - he just doesn't know.
Old May 6, 2013, 07:50 PM   #24
johnwilliamson062

If you install it correctly and don't give them the code it will be safe for... a weekend. I figure that is how long a 12 year old will take to enter the 10,000 code possibilities on a 4 digit safe.

False air intake with a safe behind it. Generally a bad idea IMO though. I took everything in my parents house apart. I even got the majority of it back together before they returned home.
Old May 6, 2013, 07:55 PM   #25
Skadoosh

John, does this go for girl cubs as well? (I only have a 4 year old daughter)