The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 20, 2013, 01:51 PM   #1
defjon

Ruger Sp101 357 grips/ holster

I have massive hands. I'm looking for longer grips. The hard factory grips only come to the top of my ring finger. Is the only option the hogues for elongating the trip? I've looked at Traush online. Not sure about 30+ dollars and shipping from France when I've heard issues about them not fitting correctly...

I'm open to wood, rubber, anything...I need longer grips.

Also, open to advice and sources for good CCW holsters. I imagine IWB is the order of the day...
Old January 20, 2013, 02:02 PM   #2
Dan-O

I am a big fan of the stuff from this guy:

http://www.concealmentsolutions.com/

Yes, Hogues are about your only option for elongating the grip.
Old January 20, 2013, 07:14 PM   #3
therealtwitch

Not true. Badger makes a beautiful elongated grips

http://www.badgercustomgrips.com/rug...ips.php?page=1
Old January 20, 2013, 09:42 PM   #4
Dan-O

Yeah right....Badgers will chip and crack on you if you fire any .357 mag loads that aren't totally downloaded. Badgers are two piece grips. Hogues, even though they arent my favorite (wood and rubber) are one piece.
Old January 20, 2013, 10:16 PM   #5
Guv

Nylon Hogue Monogrip!
Old January 20, 2013, 10:58 PM   #6
farmboy

I have a pair of Badgers for my .327, and I can tell you they shoot HARD.

Go with the Hogues, or just buy some nice inserts for you stock grips to make it pretty. I ended up picking the Spalted Maple.
Old January 20, 2013, 11:11 PM   #7
Rob228

My SP101 wears a pair of Crimson Trace grips which are far more comfortable for me then the originals, however I have tiny hands. My two holsters are a Don Hume OWB and an El Paso Saddlery IWB. I can't remember which model it is, but it is modeled after the Milt Sparks summer special.

Old January 20, 2013, 11:34 PM   #8
The Great Mahoo

I have a Sp101 3" in 327. It sports some Secret Service Grips from Eagle. I rather like them, but I've heard several problems with Eagle in the past. Mine don't fit the tightest, but it was easy enough to correct on my own.

As for holsters, what are you looking for? IWB, Tuckable, OWB?
I use a Simply Rugged pancake for OWB, and with some inside out straps for IWB. I also have a Desantis (I don't recall the model) which works nicely for OWB if I want a retention strap. I have a High-Noon tuckable holster from an old Taurus 357 that fits just fine that I've used now and again, but by and large I don't care for it.
Old January 21, 2013, 11:07 PM   #9
Colorado Redneck

Rob228

How do you like the Laser Grips on your SP101? I have toyed with the idea of getting a set for myself. I have two SP101's, a .357 and a .327 Fed Mag. I like them both but honestly the sights on the 327 kinda suck for me--old eyes. I would be interested in what your opinion of the grips are.

Thanks! They look good.
Old January 22, 2013, 12:30 AM   #10
Jbotto

I have a set of Badger grips, and love them. So far in 300 rounds, no splits or cracks are present from shooting .357's in it. I use a handmade holster for OWB, and an Old Faithful Holsters hybrid for IWB.
Old January 22, 2013, 01:21 AM   #11
skidder

I didn't like the factory grips. No place for my pinky. The Hogue rubber grips fit like a glove.

Gun permit?? A bread crumb tossed to a sleeping society awoken by the sound of complacency. "They are for your own good", and "you will understand when you see all the lives they save". Yes master, what else will you toss me from your bag of infringements?? Do you want me to roll over and play dead? I do that very well. --skidder
Old January 23, 2013, 04:18 AM   #12
stormyone

The rubber Hogue grips tame the nuclear 357 loads, and they fit my hand perfectly.
Old January 23, 2013, 08:06 PM   #13
gpjoe

I don't have massive hands, but still prefer the Hogue rubber grip on my 2" SP101. I carry it in an Alabama Holster kydex, LH appendix with a straight drop.
Old January 23, 2013, 10:12 PM   #14
Rob228

Quote:
How do you like the Laser Grips on your SP101? I have toyed with the idea of getting a set for myself. I have two SP101's, a .357 and a .327 Fed Mag. I like them both but honestly the sights on the 327 kinda suck for me--old eyes. I would be interested in what your opinion of the grips are.

Thanks! They look good.
They are great. This was my first small(smaller?) revolver and it took a lot of getting used to. The grips are very comfortable and shooting/dry firing with the laser is very beneficial (at least it was for me, especially getting used to DA only shooting).
Old January 23, 2013, 11:05 PM   #15
Colorado Redneck

Thanks, Rob.
Old January 26, 2013, 10:49 PM   #16
riddleofsteel

the Hogue mono grip in coco bolo on a Weigand Tame the Beast conversion of the SP 101 .357

total control with even full power .357 loads and no pinkie hang over
Old January 26, 2013, 10:53 PM   #17
riddleofsteel

better shot of grain of the wood

also wood is tacky to the grip but not sticky enough to hang on your clothes
Old January 27, 2013, 12:11 AM   #18
skidder

riddleofsteel-- I think I could live with those grips . Very nice .
Gun permit?? A bread crumb tossed to a sleeping society awoken by the sound of complacency. "They are for your own good", and "you will understand when you see all the lives they save". Yes master, what else will you toss me from your bag of infringements?? Do you want me to roll over and play dead? I do that very well. --skidder
Old January 27, 2013, 12:29 AM   #19
Wheel-Gunner

Hogue grips are a great option. As far as holsters go, Fist holsters are my fav. Excellent holsters!! Google them.
Old January 27, 2013, 03:21 PM   #20
showmebob

Defjon
I have the Trausch grips and love them. They are available from American suppliers, do a google search. The fit wasn't perfect but didn't take much to correct. I've had mine for 3 years now and have shot thousands of rounds with them including full magnum loads.
Old January 27, 2013, 04:40 PM   #21
lefteye

I like the Hogue grips on my SP 101 .357. I really like the Milt Sparks PMK holster I bought for it. My hands are smaller than average. I have fired very few .357 loads from this gun - they are just too unpleasant. .38 and +P are OK.
Old January 28, 2013, 12:15 AM   #22
riddleofsteel

a combo of Weigand's Hybraporting and carefully selected low flash .357 mag ammo allows me to power through five 125 grain full house .357 mag loads with virtually zero muzzle rise and good accuracy.
Old January 28, 2013, 02:00 AM   #23
Redhawk5.5+P+

I have to be funny, I carry my stock griped 3" SP101 W/.357 SJHP in my front pocket lose fitting stretch jeans from Walmart. Cost, $10.97. My belt cost more than my pants.
Old February 12, 2013, 07:58 AM   #24
defjon

Riddleofsteel- love the name by the way, and the hogue wood monogrip....where did you pick that up?

I've been on the search still. I guess my biggest question is which supplier to order from? Online it can be a little hard to find vendors you can trust and that stand behind the products they stock.
Old February 12, 2013, 08:45 AM   #25
efield

I see the date of the original post is 1/20 and you may have already decided what you are going to get. If you are still thinking about this, I suggest a call to Herrett's Stocks. I had a custom pair of "Roper's" done for my Colt King Cobra and I have a friend that had a set of "Jordan's" done for his N-Frame Smith. They took a tracing of my hand and a tracing of the butt frame and made the best fitting stocks I have owned to date.

I admit my King Cobra is a target gun and not a carry gun but they do list stocks for concealment weapons as well. Just a suggestion to give them a call. Not cheap but well worth it.
Regards,
efield