The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 7, 2014, 09:07 PM   #1
Kev

Strange to today's society-places you bought guns from

My Pops bought a WW2 issue Remington Rand GI 45 out of a pickle barrel in a hardware store for 25 bucks in 1950

Of course the hardware stores, Sears catalogs and other places to buy guns has gone the way of the dodo bird.
But where do you remember buying guns?

Last edited by Kev; January 8, 2014 at 10:57 AM.
Old January 7, 2014, 09:31 PM   #2
CWKahrFan

Speaking of Sears... My first shotgun had a Sears moniker on it but my Dad bought it slightly used for $40 (for me at age 14) at an old-timey combination mechanic-gunsmith-used-car-hangout place on the edge of town. It was a very nifty and tight 20-guage double-barrel which was great for pheasant hunting. It stood upright in my room in a very nice blonde-stained wood gun rack which I designed and made myself... next to my Stevens bolt-action .22 which was my constant companion (along with my wonderful spaniel and sometimes a buddy) on LONG hikes through fields, creeks and woods nearly every day after school in the early 60's.
Old January 7, 2014, 09:40 PM   #3
mikejonestkd

My father bought me my first shotgun at Sheard's Ice cream parlor and gun shop in Bergen, NY......they are still in business after 40+ years.

They still have guns and ice cream....not a bad combo!
Old January 7, 2014, 09:41 PM   #4
Nathan

Just hunted with a guy a year ago with a Montgomery Wards 12ga from where else...
Old January 7, 2014, 09:44 PM   #5
Kev

Nice...I'd love to see a pic of ice creams and guns...

This is exactly the stuff I was hoping to read guys!
Classics!
Old January 7, 2014, 10:22 PM   #6
markallen

I have never bought a gun there, but I remember looking at the rifles in our local Western Auto store. I did buy .22 LR ammo there though when I was a kid.
Old January 7, 2014, 10:41 PM   #7
Tom68

My first gun came from Otasco.... A store much like Western Auto. The Mary Carter Paint store in Cullman, AL used to sell guns. Don't know if they are even still in business now.
Old January 7, 2014, 10:47 PM   #8
burrhead

"Of course the hardware stores, Sears catalogs and other places to buy guns has gone the way of the dodo bird."

Depends on where you live. The only local, brick and mortar gun outlet near me is a True Value Hardware store. Fifteen years ago the local grocery store/trading post did transfers.

I'm offended by people that are easily offended.
Old January 7, 2014, 10:53 PM   #9
bledsoeG19

Christmas week I bought my govt model colt series 70 wiley clapp from the hardware store one town north of mine. Yep, they still sell guns. Not next door, in the store. I love it.
Old January 7, 2014, 10:55 PM   #10
Kev

^^^^well I sit corrected^^^^^

I read earlier on here a guy bought his first Hi Standard at a local furniture store.

But now that I think of it, there is a swap meet (indoor) here by Fort Myers that has a guy selling firearms...
Old January 7, 2014, 11:13 PM   #11
Chaz88

Many years ago my dad and grandpa owned a GMC dealership/ auto parts store/ auto shop/ body shop/ auto upholstery shop/ auto machine shop/ gas station/ wait for it... gun store. Took up more than a quarter square block. My first guns came through that store.

No spelun and grammar is not my specialty. So please don't hurt my sensitive little feelings by teasing me about it.
Old January 7, 2014, 11:16 PM   #12
Kev

^^thats awesome!!^^
Old January 7, 2014, 11:44 PM   #13
crashxl

My first shotgun was a gift from my dad. My grandfather bought it for him from a little mom and pop gas station so he could join the high school skeet team. My dad placed 2nd in the southeast regional skeet meet with that $20 double barrel .410.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389156288.107983.jpg
Old January 8, 2014, 12:00 AM   #14
OcelotZ3

My father bought his AR15 in '67 from a furniture store.
Old January 8, 2014, 12:53 AM   #15
meanmachine1961

My Dad bought my first handgun, an RG single action .22, at a grocery store/gas station a couple of miles from where we lived in Sheffield, Alabama. That must have been 1973 or there abouts.
Old January 8, 2014, 01:01 AM   #16
towboat-er

Bought a surplus rifle at Rose's department store way back in the 90's.
Old January 8, 2014, 03:44 AM   #17
RodTheWrench

In Baker City, Oregon - York's Market sells guns. They are kind of a mishmash of convenience store/grocery store/bait shop. I do think these kind of stores only still exist in small towns though.

In Utah/Idaho, CAL Ranch stores have decently stocked gun counters.

I remember my dad buying a 30-30 from a Coast to Coast store in the 70s. Kind of an auto parts/hardware store.
Old January 8, 2014, 05:20 AM   #18
Aaron1100us

I bought a Russian Dragunov Tiger at a garage sale a year and a half ago lol.

Took these pics at the garage sale.

Old January 8, 2014, 06:15 AM   #19
ATPBULLETS

Wwow....That's a kool looking gun... Great thread

I remember as a kid going to many different pawn shops... they were and still are places that amaze me... with all the variety of STUFF....
and as a kid... I remember the personalities behind the counter...man... the stories I remember hearing as a gun was passed across the counter for my father to shoulder and sight and inspect...
Old January 8, 2014, 06:17 AM   #20
Nakanokalronin

I watched a video not to long ago of a someone in Canada buying a Tavor at a gas station. It depends on states, but some firearms and ammo can still be bought at hardware stores, it's just not as common as it used to be. I personally don't have an oddball place I've bought a firearm from.
Old January 8, 2014, 06:40 AM   #21
Sight Unseen

I was visiting my cousin a few years ago and we went into a gas station/Hardee's and to my astonishment they had a fully stocked ammo cabinet. No guns but I still thought it was pretty cool. I actually ended up picking up a box of 9mm ammo that I didn't really need (this was before the current ammo shortage).
Old January 8, 2014, 06:42 AM   #22
psyfly

We tend to forget that guns, once upon a time, were just another tool for sale. A store, of any kind, did not have to get the government's permission to stock and sell one.
Old January 8, 2014, 07:28 AM   #23
Kev

Hey Psyfly
I don't think we have forgotten that, just been regulated almost to the point of taboo.

And on the pawnshops...Oh yes I do love browsing pawnshops.
Back in California as a kid, I always tagged along with Pops on his 2x a month excursions.

2 years ago I was back in Cali on vacation, so I walked into our old favorite shop and within a few minutes, it was "Hey your Bob's son"
Almost like family...sniff sniff
Old January 8, 2014, 07:30 AM   #24
Kev

Aaron....
THAT IS INCREDIBLE!!!!
I have to ask what did she run you?
Old January 8, 2014, 07:55 AM   #25
KMAX

I bought my first shotgun when I was fourteen at a general store in 1971. They sold gas, groceries, hardware, ranching supplies, guns, and ammo. They also fixed flat tires and did minor mechanic work. Mom actually had to sign for the gun, but it was definitely my purchase. They still sell guns along with all the other things, but we are in rural Texas.

Also, one of the best stocked ammo stores is a local supermarket not far from here. Sort of a local or regional chain store I think.

I'm not old. I'm CLASSIC!