The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 27, 2013, 03:05 PM   #1
Colorado308shooter

Shot some Hornady steel match out of my mini-14 today

This was a box of 50 that I bought a few month's ago. With all the snow on the ground, I hate loosing my brass, so I gave this stuff a shot.

I was impressed! I ended up with 3/4" (5) shot groups at 50 yards off of a rest. I shoot at a local forest ravine and its only 50 yards long.

This is comparable to what my handload's do.

It burns clean too, much cleaner than the wolf crap!

As soon as the snow melts off, I'll go back to my brass rounds, but its nice to know this stuff works.
Old January 27, 2013, 05:58 PM   #2
arizona98tj

Should be no surprise, really....Hornady is not known for loading junk ammo. They make good ammo. Just because the primer, powder, and bullet are packed in a steel case doesn't make it a bad performer.

Here is a pic from the last time I was verifying my ACOG prior to heading off to a training course. Fired off three quick ones to make sure it was good to go....and it was.

Old January 27, 2013, 06:57 PM   #3
Technosavant

I'd expect it to be decent; as said, Hornady makes good ammo, and any inconsistency or fouling from the cheap Russian steel stuff isn't because it's steel cased. It's because it's cheap Russian ammo.

Apply good quality methods and practices but with a steel case, and it will shoot cleanly and accurately.

I just haven't bothered with the Hornady steel match because it costs about as much as brass cased ammo.
Old January 27, 2013, 09:07 PM   #4
johnwilliamson062

Quote:
Apply good quality methods and practices but with a steel case, and it will shoot cleanly and accurately.
Maybe. Internet talk is the steel will not expand and seal the chamber like brass does. This results in dirtier chamber and possibly even action. Good clean burning powder, like Hornady uses, and there shouldn't be much mess.
Old January 27, 2013, 09:54 PM   #5
Slotback

I like the Hornady stuff. Never had a problem with it.
Old January 29, 2013, 07:20 AM   #6
stubbicatt

True True. The Hornady stuff does run cleaner. I think the Russians use old sweat sox and soiled bloomers as the source of linters for their powders.