The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old September 8, 1999, 11:33 PM   #1
Outlaw1

I have a "matched pair" of single shot 12 guages that were my Great Grandfathers.
They are in pretty good shape as far as old guns go.
One has "Columbia Ejector" engraved on the left side of the reciever, "COLUMBIA ARMS CO. NORWICH, CONN. U.S.A." on top of the barrel, and PATENTED DEC.15,91,OCT.2,94,AUG.11,96,AUG.14,00,MAY27,02 on the right side of the reciever.
The other one has got the same Patent numbers, but there is nothing on the barrel except "CHOKE BORE", and the engraving on the right side reciever reads "The Best Gun on Earth." The only other markings are my GGrandfathers initials carved in the stock.
What have I got here, other than nice family heirlooms?

------------------
Happiness is a tight group!
Old September 9, 1999, 07:35 AM   #2
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

OUTLAW 1
Regrets, I don't have a thing on the Columbia Arms Co. I will try some other references and see what I can find.

HJN

P.S. I went to the stock cross-over and was unable to come up with Columbia Arms Co. Sometimes this cross-over will identify mfg's not normally listed in the firearms cross over. Sorry.

HJN

[This message has been edited by Harley Nolden (edited September 09, 1999).]
Old September 9, 1999, 08:19 AM   #3
Outlaw1

Thanks anyway Harley, The only thing I really know about these guns is that they were used to put food on the table for seven people from the early teens 'till the early thirtys.
They look nice hangin' over the fireplace too.

------------------
Happiness is a tight group!
Old September 9, 1999, 04:50 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

I will do some digging. A company with that kind of modesty should not be forgotten.

Jim