The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 8, 2007, 12:22 PM   #1
shooter_john

Match Bullets for Hunting

Not sure if I should post this here or in the Hunting Forum, but here goes...

I have read on almost every manufacturer's Match bullets that they are not recommended for hunting. Now I can understand that for FMJBT's and the like, but it doesn't seem to make sense for HPBT's and the Hornady A MAX, which happens to have a polymer tip.
With all of that being said, I have hunted (whitetail deer) this season with Hornady A MAX (both factory new and my own handload) and I finally got to see first hand what the A MAX is capable of other than supreme accuracy.

This past weekend I shot an approximately 160lb buck at 30yds, and the A MAX was devastating! The deer dropped in his tracks, spasmed for a few seconds and it was over. Entrance wound was about 1/2", exit was about 2" with vital organs hanging out. It was an obvious lung shot from the bright red bubbly blood that quickly pooled. I observed extensive tissue damage once we got him dressed, and I even found a few bullet fragments as we started getting the meat off of him. Needless to say, I have now have no doubts about taking game with the Hornady A MAX.
Old January 8, 2007, 12:56 PM   #2
castnblast

Here's the deal w/ those rounds. They have a thin walled jacket. The fear of the thin wall is that it may explode and is not designed for penetration. Match bullets have thin jackets in order to make them more consistant in overall weight. The thicker jackets of hunting bullets are designed to stay intact, and provide deeper penetration, but they sometimes tend to not be as consistant in weight, which tends to effect long range accuracy from a bench rest standpoint. Sounds like the load worked just fine for you. At lower velocities, the round is less likely to explode... What caliber are you shooting? Sounds like a 284 ish or so...
Old January 8, 2007, 05:05 PM   #3
VaFisher

I have been using the Hornady SST 30 cal. 150gr. bullets with great results, accurate and about the same results you have come up with the A-Max.
Old January 8, 2007, 05:23 PM   #4
kingudaroad

Bullet fragments with a lung shot? Just imagine if you hit him in the shoulder. Using match bullets for hunting is like using a butterknife as a screwdriver. It works sometimes but it's not the right tool for the job IMO.
Old January 8, 2007, 06:40 PM   #5
BigJakeJ1s

Hollow points in match bullets are not designed to expand consistently, if at all. They are an artifact of the manufacturing process to create the most consistent, aerodynamically accurate bullet possible. The cores are not usually bonded to the jacket, and the jacket itself is too thin to hold the bullet together well enough to penetrate reliably. Plenty of whitetail deer have been taken with them, but they are not the best tool for the job, particularly on tougher and/or larger game.

Andy
Old January 9, 2007, 08:08 AM   #6
VaFisher

Just thought I would add that I took a 350 plus pound deer and a 1600 pound moose in Alberta with the Hornady SST 150gr. bullet this year and am very please with the results. Good penatration in fact they went through, broke both shoulders on the moose at 425 yards, lodged in the skin so I was able to see the remains. The deer was also shot with the same results.
Old January 10, 2007, 03:09 PM   #7
Shoney

In my young and stupid days, I used match bullets (no longer available today, but basically the same thin jackets) in 222, 6mmRem, 270, 280, 30-06, and 300 Win Mag, to harvest at least 10 deer/antelope with each cartridge.

The term "hand-grenades" seems most appropriate. If you love to blow the bajeepers out of meat, if you love bone, lead and copper infused meat, if you love to throw away what would have been good eating meat, then by all means, use target bullets on game.

The three bullets I have found that produced quick kills with a minimum of meat damage are the Hornady Interbond, Rem Core-Lokt, and Speer Grand Slam. The best game getter is the Nosler Partition, but it ruins a lot more meat at ranges under 300 yards.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old January 10, 2007, 06:07 PM   #8
WIN71

Shoney

You must have wrecked a bunch of knives cutting up those 60 deer/antelope full of shrapnel. Why did you wait so long to change bullets?
Of course friends and relatives probably didn't ask for seconds on steaks.

I had the same trouble a few times with a 7m/m mag. with hollow point boat tail match bullets, (Sierra ). Like you, I changed and went to Remington Core-Lokt for almost everything.
Old January 10, 2007, 06:36 PM   #9
temmi

I have used 155 Gr Horn A-MAX in a 30-06 with very good results on Hogs 150+ lbs.

They hold up surprisingly well.
Old January 11, 2007, 01:08 PM   #10
castnblast

Quote:
If you love copper infused meat...
You guys think you'll ever see that on the cooking channel? Sounds like a great ingredient! Honey, can you add another tablespoon of tungstun shot with that copper infussion...
Old January 11, 2007, 09:37 PM   #11
cheygriz

Here's a real simple solution.
1. Use armor piercing bullets to punch through armor.
2. Use "match" bullets for shooting in matches.
3. Use "hunting" bullets for hunting asnimals.

Yeah, it really is that simple!