The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 9, 2014, 09:52 AM   #26
Clark

Indulge me with memory lane [great deals on blem bullets in 2004].

An entire semi backed into Midsouth loading dock, full of blems.
UPS would only ship 80 pounds per shipping carton to me.

My review of 2004 Hornady bullets:
I got Hornady blems
45 CAL .451 DIA 250GR HIGH PERFORMANCE HOLLOW POINT 6.5 cents .............good and I have used them
7MM .284 DIA 154GR ROUND NOSE 6.8 cents ........................................................lousy bullets
7MM .284 DIA 162GR BIG GAME POLY CARB TIP 6.7 cents .................................. great bullets and I have killed deer with them
7MM .284 DIA 175GR SPIRE POINT 5.7 cents ..........................................................lousy bullets
30CAL .308 DIA 220GR ROUND NOSE 5.9 cents .....................................................lousy bullets, but good for 30-30 testing
25CAL .257DIA 100GR SOFT POINT 4.3 cents ......................................................good bullets, but I use Nos Bal Tip for hunting
6MM .243 DIA 100GR ROUND NOSE 5.2 cents .........................................................lousy bullets
45 CAL .458 DIA 350GR ROUND NOSE 5.7 cents ...................................................have not used any
22CAL .224DIA 35GR VMAX 7.7 cents ......................................................................great bullets, super accuracy, only good to 200 yards, fly like a ping pong ball
.251" 50 gr RN FMJ 1 cent ...........they make a 25acp kick hard if I put enough powder in there.

Nosler bullets:
.338 Nos Part Gold 250 gr 10 cents
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old September 9, 2014, 11:29 AM   #27
Machineguntony

Clark, back in 2004, what was the price on 308 and 223 bullets, on average? Do you recall what you paid for those 308 and the 223 vmax bullets. About a year ago, I bought 20,000 of the vmax bullets on a bulk deal. I have about 5,000 left. Good bullets.

I am reading about powder back in the early 2000s, which is at a time where I was out of the shooting sports, and I read about guys complaining about paying $100 for an 8lbs keg of powder. Nowadays, $130 for 8lbs is a deal.
Old September 9, 2014, 05:35 PM   #28
Clark

I can look up some old retail, but I can't remember much. I was paying 20 cents on the retail dollar for blems in 2004.

I have a Hodgdon load manual with 4895 as low as 10 cents a pound.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old September 10, 2014, 08:13 PM   #29
Machineguntony

I received the 308 bullets today, all 10,000 of them. Shipping for all 200 pounds was only $53. No tax, which locally would have come out to about $210, at 8.25%, so I saved about $160 on shipping vs. tax. This is probably the best deal that I've seen this year on reloading supplies.

The bullets are beautiful. I do not see any issues cosmetically. Maybe they just have really high standards, or maybe the issue is in the uniformity, which may cause accuracy issues. I shoot these in a beltfed, so accuracy for me is in a 10-20 foot cone of fire at 100 yards.

Came in four boxes.

Old September 11, 2014, 12:25 AM   #30
Clark

Tony,
14 years ago we used 10,000 .308 bullets in 10 boxes of 1,000 each to hold down a floor that was being glued.

My memory is weak, but 14 years later I can still remember how heavy they were.
Old September 11, 2014, 07:43 AM   #31
Machineguntony

I nearly broke my back carrying the boxes. Who knew lead could be so heavy.

Upon closer inspection, I see where there blemish is on all of these bullets. The tips are slightly deformed. That won't be an issue with my use, but for anyone looking for tack driving accuracy, that may be a serious issue.
Old September 11, 2014, 08:08 AM   #32
Jim Watson

I have bought several batches of "blemished" 147 gr 9mm pistol bullets from Midway and another outfit whose name escapes me. They have been getting worse every time.
The first lot was missing the base closure disc from 2-3%, the next order lacking them in more.
The next batch had a few blunt noses, like the nose forming punch in the swage die had not been set right.
The present lot has no base closure discs and about 1/3 have misshapen noses.
I see that bullet in "blems" is only about 10% less than pristine in the current offer.
Pass.
I have some coated and plated bullets to work with when those last "blems" are gone. Which will be next week if not sooner.
Old September 11, 2014, 08:14 AM   #33
Doyle

Quote:
That won't be an issue with my use, but for anyone looking for tack driving accuracy, that may be a serious issue.
Maybe not. There was a website I found a year or so ago that showed the effects of an experiment to determine how much a bullet would need to be deformed at the tip to affect accuracy. They took a known load and started deliberately deforming the tip to see when groups started to open up. It took a LOT of tip deforming to cause appreciable accuracy problems.

However, even a small deformity on the base of the bullet caused BIG accuracy problems.
Old September 11, 2014, 09:51 PM   #34
Ozzieman

Machineguntony so you’re the one that beat me to the store. I ordered 2000 and they could only fill 1000.
They also showed up today.
I agree they do look nice. The 45 ACP do also.

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.