The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Closed Thread

Old January 8, 2014, 09:03 PM   #26
jcwit

To the OP, You are not wearing hearing protection & have damage.

Would you do the same if it was your eyes?
Old January 9, 2014, 04:16 AM   #27
skizzums

i use ear protection, but never felt the need for eye protection, reckon if i had catastrophic failure eye protection would be nice, sumtin to think about i guess
Old January 9, 2014, 05:01 AM   #28
Dr. Strangelove

At a relatively young and handsome forty, I can hear a faint ringing in my ears if I'm in an absolutely quiet environment. I have noticed I find it harder to follow conversations if I'm in a noisy environment, such as a bar. Women, especially, are hard to understand (I know, I know...).

Loud headphones, shooting with no hearing protection (when I was a kid no one wore earplugs or muffs, you just didn't), concerts, etc. - it all adds up.

Protect your ears - it sucks meeting a girl in a bar and having to ask her to repeat everything like an old man.
Old January 9, 2014, 03:17 PM   #29
jcwit

Quote:
i use ear protection, but never felt the need for eye protection, reckon if i had catastrophic failure eye protection would be nice, sumtin to think about i guess
NRA Certified Range Officer
Old January 9, 2014, 05:48 PM   #30
Glenn E. Meyer

I have been hit in the face enough by fragments to be very convinced of the need for eye protection.

One bit cut my chin wide open. Was a tad impressive for a bit but responded to direct pressure. I also once had a 50 AE piece of brass fired by someone else bounce of my forehead for quite a bump. It bounced off a side of a line and came back at me.

Also, I saw a 45 ACP bounce off a tire and give a guy next to me a really hard whack in the chest.

As far as hearing protection - of course.
Old January 9, 2014, 06:10 PM   #31
Garycw

You might as well get used to it. Mine constantly ring. Each time you forget and shoot without protection it'll get worse. I foolishly gave my ringing a boost testing a black powder pistol with a primer cap only. I didn't realize how loud it would be till it was too late.
Don't be too hard on yourself, alot if people didn't think too much about it when young.
Old January 9, 2014, 08:26 PM   #32
Jim Watson

I have tinnitus as a result of early shooting without ear protection and a noisy work environment. Avoid it if you can.

Re the audiologists graph:
1. Higher frequencies are most affected.
2. Women have higher pitched voices than men.
Ergo, you will have a harder time hearing your wife than your buds. She will not be understanding about this.

Jerry Pournelle wrote yesterday about his new high tech hearing aids and how they were already changing his life. But while they can make up for hearing loss, they do nothing for tinnitus. There are highly advertised dietary supplements for tinnitus, but I kind of doubt they do much. I would be glad to hear different.
Old January 9, 2014, 09:04 PM   #33
darkgael

What did you say?

Tinnitus. The background ringing....all the time. I have had it for years and am fortunate that it has not gotten worse. I am not conscious of it most of the time....but right now, when it is quiet.....I know that it is there.
I have always worn hearing protection. Now I wear double.

I do not understand why if a person knew that their ears had been abused at one point.....why they did not do something about it the second point.
And eyes....as if catastrophic failure is the only way that one's eyes can be hurt while shooting or while being at a range with other shooters..
Pete
Old January 10, 2014, 09:40 AM   #34
thallub

Quote:
Now, 2 years later I shoot a 9mm with no hearing protection. And my ears ring. My ears will ring if I shoot anything more than a 22lr. Do I still have hearing loss from the shotgun you think?
By not using hearing protection you are setting yourself up for serious damage to your hearing. Get some good ear plugs and muffs and wear both while shooting.

My hearing is shot: There is constant loud ringing in my ears and severe hearing damage from my EOD/UXO career and from shooting guns for decades without hearing protection. Hearing aids do not help.

The young grandson of a good friend has very serious, irreparable hearing and nerve damage from firing 20 rounds through a short barreled .243 Winchester rifle.
Old January 10, 2014, 10:43 PM   #35
Model12Win

Double ears inside. Good plugs with good muffs over good plugs.

At least good plugs outside, good plugs with good muffs over good plugs.

Always. NO EXCEPTIONS. NOT EVEN ONCE.

It's that simple.
Old January 13, 2014, 11:46 PM   #36
Wyosmith

Huh?

What?
Old January 14, 2014, 10:55 AM   #37
Glenn E. Meyer

Ok, THAT'S IT.

WE ALL GET IT!

Shouting

Wear hearing protection.