The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old February 29, 2012, 05:44 PM   #1
Hardyboy171

Colt ar15 mag release trouble

I just got home with my new colt and noticed the mag release button is different than I have ever saw. The button itself won't depress but the small screw inside it will. What am I doing wrong? I know they didn't intend for you to have to carry a small screwdriver or pen or even a bullet to release your mag. Any help it greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old February 29, 2012, 06:32 PM   #2
burrhead

It's a California thing. Where do you live?

I'm offended by people that are easily offended.
Old February 29, 2012, 06:40 PM   #3
steves86ta

Are you in california? That's called a bullet button its the law that you have to have it installed on the rifle to be legal.
Old February 29, 2012, 07:29 PM   #4
Hardyboy171

Thanks. I live in Kentucky. What's the best solution? Do I buy an aftermarket release or will colt exchange it? Again any help is appreciated!
Old February 29, 2012, 07:42 PM   #5
Hansam

Unless along with the "bullet button" release CA law requires the gun to have something done to the lower and/or mag release assembly so it can't be taken out and replaced easily just replace it.

A new mag release isn't expensive and is fairly easy to replace - about a 10 min job really... maybe more like 20 or 30 min if you're unfamiliar with ARs but really not hard.
Old February 29, 2012, 07:43 PM   #6
burrhead

I'd just by an aftermarket, normal release and be done with it. They're not particularly expensive. I doubt Colt will help you but doesn’t hurt to ask.

Good luck.

I'm offended by people that are easily offended.
Old February 29, 2012, 07:46 PM   #7
Hardyboy171

I've had it out already. Looks like the actual button goes all the way to the other side of the frame therefor it can't be pushed in. I never had the button out on my other ar so I can't compare. I'm not super familiar with them but I know the basics.
Old February 29, 2012, 07:52 PM   #8
Technosavant

There's info on the internet on how to remove the bullet button; I've never seen one of those myself (don't live in CA), but it can be done. There's examples on YouTube on how to do it.

Fortunately, installation of a regular magazine release is very simple (you'll need the spring, button, and catch... items 13, 14, and 15 here).
Old February 29, 2012, 07:53 PM   #9
TheGoldenState

Swapping bullet button release to normal release, and vice versa, take seconds.

1) know what youre buying
2) Go get a regular release and install in 30 seconds.
Old February 29, 2012, 08:02 PM   #10
Hardyboy171

Thanks everyone for the help. That's why I joined! I knew you experts would help me. I'm looking right now for a replacement. Any one recommend any in particular?
Old March 1, 2012, 10:59 AM   #11
tirod

Again, check the link above, and there's dozens of others, BCM, Midway, Brownells, etc.

A polite call to Colt Customer Service might help, too. Why a CA legal gun is in Kentucky, no idea, but if it's new, asking for help doesn't hurt.

If money is going out of your wallet to change it, just maybe consider the Norgon ambidextrous. It's not cheap, but this is an opportunity to put what the Marines issue on it.
Old March 1, 2012, 11:04 AM   #12
Noreaster

This just happened to me on a brand new M&P15. I couldn't figure it out either. I did the research and ordered a bullet button wrench from Golden State Tactical for about six bucks. Shipping was free and I got it in two days. The M&P had lock tight but the all steel wrench from Golden State was able to break it loose. Don't buy a plastic wrench or an expensive kit. The replacement parts are the button and spring, about four bucks.
Old March 1, 2012, 07:11 PM   #13
danco

Moral of the story -- if you don't live in California, don't buy any AR-15 with a "-CA" at the end of the model name!

~Dan

Tags
ar15 , colt , colt ar15 , colt m4