The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 13, 2009, 04:37 PM   #1
perley03

Finding a good smith that can work my barrel from a .280 to .280AI

Hello all
I've been searching for the past 2 days and coming up empty handed. I'm not 100% sure on what needs to be done to machine my barrel from .280 remington to .280 Ackley Improved. I currently have a Ruger M77 Hawkeye Alaskan in stainless/synthetic and want to retain the stainless barrel. Do I just send out my original barrel and have them work it or do I buy a barrel thats already machined? Is there any good gunsmiths that you guys know that can do this? I also want some trigger work done, I want to get my trigger pull down to approx. 2#.
Old June 13, 2009, 05:33 PM   #2
smoakingun

Any smith in your area should be able to ream a new chamber, no need for a new barrel.
Hundreds of years from now, it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove... But the world may be different because I did something so bafflingly crazy that my ruins become a tourist attraction.
Old June 14, 2009, 05:53 AM   #3
ActivShootr

I wouldn't let just any guy with a lathe and a reamer hack on my gun. Do your homework. Depending on your skill level, you could install an adjustable trigger yourself.
Old June 14, 2009, 02:30 PM   #4
perley03

Thats the problem....I don't know of any gunsmiths in the area, and I didn't know what was involved in rechambering to a 280AI. I'll hit up the local gun club and ask around for a good smith.
Old June 15, 2009, 01:00 AM   #5
publius

Check with your local ranges and talk to some benchrest competition guys. They know of all the good gunsmiths in the area.
Old June 15, 2009, 09:32 AM   #6
brickeyee

The barrel must be set back (one whole turn usually) and then reamed to AI.

Simply reaming without setting back will NOT result in a correct AI chamber.
Old June 18, 2009, 11:27 AM   #7
GeauxTide

Unless your barrel is 24" long, you're wasting your time with the AI.
Old June 18, 2009, 03:10 PM   #8
brickeyee

Quote:
Unless your barrel is 24" long, you're wasting your time with the AI.
A very valid point.

The AI really needs a longer barrel to take full advantage of the extra powder.

I use 26 inch barrels in most of my AI calibers.
Old June 18, 2009, 04:35 PM   #9
George R

Good Gunsmith

You might want to call Nelson or Phil at Gator Guns. 561 683-1411. He's at the other end of the world, but can do the job right. Ayup.
Old June 20, 2009, 02:46 AM   #10
brhoyle

Gunsmithing

I am a gunsmith and we do a lot of rebarreling and rechambering work. Ruger Barrels are not notorious for there accuracy, we can convert it to Ackley improved but I would recommend that you put a better barrel on it in 24+ inch if possable without the longer barrel the advantages of the AI are marginal. Rugers use pine cast parts including there reciever then they thread there reciever without truing the bolt rails to the exacting specification of the chamber location it will still fit and function but it allows for the barrel to be off reciever center up to .012 usually a lot less but if you check your bolt face measurements youll find that the bolt face is left slicghtly over sized so the shell can move correctly to center bore which allows the shell to shift under pressure on the botl face which takes away from the accuracy of the rifle. They are good hunting rifles and very reliable, however if you are using this for a target rifle or sillohoutte there are better choices. Yoou can call the shop and we can give you advice and maybe recommend a gunsmith close to you if we know any or we could do the work although we are a little backed up right now so it would be a couple weeks turn around time. email me if you need more information. Good Luck.

B.R. Hoyle
JRH Advanced Gunsmithing
Grass Valley, CA
Old June 20, 2009, 04:38 PM   #11
F. Guffey

http://www.e-gunparts.com/forum/forum2.asp?cat=7

Make a post under gunsmithing forum and ask for Paul in Main, someone will answer and give you directions.

F. Guffey
Old June 20, 2009, 04:40 PM   #12
F. Guffey

Forgive, open the link, scroll to the bottom of the page, then start typing.

http://www.e-gunparts.com/forum/forum2.asp?cat=7

F. Guffey