The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 24, 2002, 12:47 PM   #1
Sisco

Adjusting headspace $$

Found a jeweled bent-handled bolt for my Mauser action. Before I buy it, what does it take to adjust the headspace if necessary, how much would I expect it to cost?
I know this question has been asked before but since the search function is down I gotta ask again!
Old October 24, 2002, 04:13 PM   #2
Sisco

Did a Google search (yeah, yeah, they're aniti) and found what I needed to know. Looks like it would be more cost-efficient to have the existing bolt jeweled.
I'd do it myself if I knew how!
Old October 24, 2002, 10:08 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

Yep. If the new bolt is too long, you might lap it in, but if it is too short, you would have wasted your money. Cheaper to have the current bolt jewelled.

If you have a drill press with a cross feed vise, you can buy the jewelling nibs from Brownell and do it yourself. But practice on an old bolt or old piece of steel first.

Jim
Old October 24, 2002, 11:00 PM   #4
Sisco

Been doing some research. The bolt out of my Turk Mauser would work for practice.
Old October 25, 2002, 11:09 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

If you want to go first class, Brownells has a neat tool for engine turning bolts, but you can do the same thing by eyeball and some care. With the bolt in the vise, bring the nib down on it and cut one circle. Then move the vise by x number of handle turns so you move the bolt lengthwise, and bring down the nib again. Do the same number of turns, etc. You want the circles to overlap.

When you reach the end of the bolt, with the first row, turn the bolt an amount equal to about 3/4 the circle and do the next row, and so on. I have done a lot of those, using the tool. It is a bit tedious, but looks good if you like that sort of thing. (I don't, because a little wear can make it look like heck, but it is a matter of taste.)

Jim
Old October 26, 2002, 12:48 AM   #6
Sisco

I would assume that when you're done you'll need to keep the bolt well oiled seeing that all the blueing is gone and you're dealing with polished steel?
Old October 26, 2002, 07:53 AM   #7
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Sk, it's best to polish the bolt prior to jeweling. It will look much better. George