The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 20, 2002, 08:54 PM   #1
Poodleshooter

Browning A-Bolt bolt dissasembly

I've removed the cocking piece/firing pin and spring assembly, but I can't figure out how to remove the actual boltface assembly from the large shroud that surrounds the firing pin and spring. There seems to be some red greasy crap between the two, and it's irritating me.
I really don't want to experiment much further than I already have, as I like my extractor spring where it is as opposed to flying across my living room.
So, should I leave it alone and go clean something else, or do y'all have instructions for me?
regards,
Poodle
Old October 22, 2002, 10:57 PM   #2
Poodleshooter

Come on, I know someone else must have that same blatant disregard for the words "No further dissasembly is recommended", that I have!
Or maybe the other 3 guys on this board who own A-bolts are out on hunting trips?
Old October 22, 2002, 11:15 PM   #3
larryw

Geez, man, do a search (sorry, couldn't resist )

Same question, similar results a week ago:
http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...hreadid=134404
Old October 23, 2002, 09:59 PM   #4
Poodleshooter

Already did. Read my post in more detail. The guy in that old post is asking about unscrewing the bolt shroud and firing pin assembly. I already know how to do that. I'm asking about removing the entire exterior of the actual bolt assembly from the bolt face and locking lug assembly. I can't really describe it well. The A-bolt bolt is not a simplesolid piece like a Mdl700,M77etc. Once you unscrew the shroud and firing pin assembly, the full length of the bolt between the bolt handle and the locking lugs, (I guess "the guide ribs" would be the best description)rotates on it's own. When the bolt is removed this is best demonstrated by the fact that you can rotate the the middle of the bolt, somewhat in the same manner that the extractor of a Mauser can be rotated around the bolt body.
I need to know how to fully dissasemble the bolt, not just stripping it for cleaning by removing the firing pin and spring.
Old October 24, 2002, 01:07 PM   #5
larryw

Gee Poodleshooter, sorry bout that. I could'a swore I asked the same question a couple weeks ago. I think "disassembly" was the tip off there.