The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 19, 2005, 12:42 AM   #1
Poe

DeSantis Tuck-This! Holster - Opinions?

Hi all,

I'm considering this holster for my XD-9 4": click

It would be for occasional use only. I know there are probably better-made kydex/leather choices out there, but for my needs, this one seems OK - and the price isn't bad.

Anybody tried/use it? Opinions? Any better comparable alternatives?

Thanks
Old March 19, 2005, 01:30 AM   #2
Robert Hairless

I don't know that holster but I do know that word "economical" as it's used in manufacturers' ads. It means "cheap," as in "here's the bottom of our line." So when I saw the De Santis description that says "The Tuck-This!™ is a new tuck-able holster from DeSantis that is both economical and versatile" what I read is "it's cheap and flimsy." And when I saw that it's made of ballistic nylon my mind flashes to the $5 J-clip holsters of that same material displayed on gun show tables.

A quality clip on holster along similar lines is Lou Alessi's Talon or Talon Plus. They cost about $55.00 from RFHolsters.com.

There's an amazing phenomenon about holsters: top quality leather by top makers of holsters for professionals usually cost about the same as, or a little more than, or even occasionally a bit less than, mass produced stuff and even outright junk. In this instance that "economical" Tuck-It holster sells for $40 and the roughly equivalent work by one our country's masters is just $15 more.

I get chills when I see a holster maker recommend a small-of-the-back holster.
Old March 26, 2005, 11:04 PM   #3
Marko Kloos

I have one. I'll be glad to send it your way to try out if you shell out shipping.

I am not too impressed with it, however. The design of the J-hook makes the gun ride way too low, leaving virtually no grip above the belt line. As I've stated before, the name of the holster would more accurately reflect its utility if the first letter were changed.

the munchkin wrangler.