The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 2, 2010, 12:03 AM   #1
warbirdlover

Your favorite bullet, brass, primer etc

This is any caliber. I don't hand load anymore but I used to have quite a nice setup and could always get a gun to group. Alot had to do with the bullets I used. Back in the olden days when I did that I found nosler partition and sierras worked best for me in most calibers. I tried nosler ballistic tip and barnes x-bullets (oh the horrible copper fouling mess I had) with little luck.

Loved the remington brass the best, followed by Winchester, Hornady and finally Federal on the bottom.

Remington primers (regular and magnum) were my choice.

And I liked ball powders mainly because my powder measure would drop them so consistently and I had to hand weigh every extruded powder I tried. Just had to make sure to get the pressure up high enough with the ball powder or it really didn't burn clean.

What are the new "best" bullets? Are nosler partitions still a popular choice? Best bullet I ever used.
Old November 2, 2010, 03:24 AM   #2
JiminTexas

For brass I like the free kind that I pick up on the range for the rifle and the .45. I bought up about 300 military surplus .38 S&W brass that the Army used to prime some training ordanance. I forget the detais on exactly whatl though. For primers I use CCI in both rifle (.308 Win) and pistol (.45 ACP and .38 S&W). For powder I use either BLC(2) or reloader 15 in the .308 and either Bullseye or Win. 231 in the pistol calibers. For bullets I like the 200 grain RNFP from Misouri Bullets and the 147 grain RN also from Misouri. I like the surplus pulled 147 grain steel cored bullets for the .308 (they're cheap and so am I).
Old November 2, 2010, 06:32 AM   #3
taylorce1

I'll use any kind of brass, but normally it is either R-P or Winchester. I do have some Norma that I use and I like it as well.

During the shortages over the last few years I'd use whatever I could get my hands on for primers. However I mainly use CCI primers if I can get my hands on them.

Powders I use the most are Hogdon and IMR. I've been trying some Alliant powders mainly RL 15 and 22 with very good results as well. I like Ball powders as well when I'm throwning known charges for my bulk reloading in my varmint cartridges.

Bullets I use everything my favorite is Sierra for most of my rifles. Sierra's have usually been the most accurate out of most of my rifles. I do use others, like Nosler, Hornady, Speer, Remington, Winchester, and Barnes all have a place on my bench. A lot of what I buy for a bullet has to do with price
Old November 2, 2010, 07:31 AM   #4
pythagorean

In brass Remington, Winchester, Norma.
In powder I like all the Winchester ball powder over the stick stuff.
In bullets I like Sierra and Norma Partition.
Primers I don't really fuss with brand.
Old November 2, 2010, 08:12 AM   #5
thesheepdog

Brass-Winchester, Lapua, Mil Surp.

Bullets-Barnes, Sierra, Hornady

Primers-CCI all the way.

Powder-Accurate, Hogdon.
Old November 2, 2010, 11:12 AM   #6
GeauxTide

Brass - Remington and WW
Primers - CCI and RP
Bullets - Hornday, Speer, Nosler

I've still got an old box of 30 Nosler Solid Base. They do streak. Have BTs and Partitions in several calibers and they are excellent. The recent Hornday Interlocks are sturdy and still very accurate. Just got a couple of boxes of Interbonds, so they are the next test.
Old November 2, 2010, 08:31 PM   #7
stubbicatt

For my general semi auto blasting ammo I load whatever brass I can find, the cheapest powder and ball, and CCI primers.

For my bolt rifles I prefer Lapua brass and bullets. Primer stays CCI. Just a good predictable primer which works equally well with ball or stick powders.

Old November 3, 2010, 08:34 AM   #8
L_Killkenny

Brass - Just about anything. There are 1 or 2 brands that I avoid but sitting here I can't remember what they are.

Bullets - Prefer Hornady. Around here they are 10%-20% cheaper than comparable Sierra's and Noslers. Quality and accuracy is top notch. Sierra comes in second.

Primers - CCI

Powder - Hodgdon.

LK
Old November 3, 2010, 10:38 AM   #9
chiefr

As I have been reloading for 40 years now, I have a central tendency to stick with products that have been around for a long time. Hercules, IMR, & Hodgdon powders, WW primers, and Sierra, Hornady, & Nosler bullets.
Not real picky on rifle brass, but Starline is my brass of choice for pistol and I have plenty of milsurp brass.
Old November 3, 2010, 10:45 AM   #10
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I use Norma brass, CCI BR primers, Hornady, Sierra and Nosler bullets and Winchester, Hodgdon, Alliant and IMR powders. So far, Benchmark and Win748 have produced the best groups.
Old November 3, 2010, 03:20 PM   #11
BigJimP

For bullets ..

I really like Montana Gold for FMJ or CMJ ...Its a very high quality product.

For just 'range ammo' ... I've used Berry's Plated bullets - which are a pretty good product / Rainier Ballistics is inexpensive but QC isn't the best so you'll see as much as 8 gr on a 230gr bullet as an example ....

for powder - in my handguns I like Hodgdon TiteGroup. It meters really well / very consistent. ( I use Hodgdon powders in shotshells too - different ones..).

primers - I've used CCI primers for 40 yrs or so I guess. Once in a while I've mixed in some Winchester or Remington
Old November 3, 2010, 07:42 PM   #12
BDS-THR

Brass: Once fired or range brass in good condition.

Bullets: +1 on Montana Gold FMJ as my match bullets, high quality with often less than 1 gr variance bullet to bullet. For plated, PowerBond as they tend to have the highest quality and thickest plating. For lead, hands down, Missouri Bullets - two hardness to choose from (BHN 18 & 12) for more custom tailored target loads, fast shipping and fantastic customer service!

Powder: Winchester 231 or Hodgdon HP38 (they are exactly the same powder)

Primer: Winchester
Old November 3, 2010, 08:10 PM   #13
That'll Do

Brass: Remington, Starline, and Winchester

Bullets: I primarily cast my own (I only load for handgun). But if using jacketed, I use Hornady and Montana Gold.

Powder: I use Bullseye and W-231 the most, but I experiment with just about all brands.

Primers: Winchester, CCI, and Federal
Old November 3, 2010, 09:28 PM   #14
t45

Ruger #1: Norma brass fireformed to 243ack, Federal Match 210 primers, 45.4grs of H-4831SC with 105VLD Bergers= .2"
Old November 3, 2010, 09:57 PM   #15
zxcvbob

I currently only reload for handguns and pistol-caliber carbines.
Brass: free, Starline, Winchester, and R-P, in that order. Unless the free is "A-Merc" headstamped. (I throw those out)
Powder: This one keeps changing, but my current favorites are Promo, AA#7, Bullseye, and Herco, in no particular order.
Bullets: I shoot 99% cast bullets. I cast some myself, and I order some mostly from Mastercastbullets.com, and some soft swaged lead bullets from Midsouth.
Primers: I really like Wolf primers, but I never got any of those nickel-colored Wolf SP primers that people had so much trouble with. I also like Federals.
Old November 3, 2010, 10:03 PM   #16
Uncle H

Brass - Rem usually. Win. or Hornady sometimes.
Bullets - Sierra, Berger, Hornady
Powder - Hodg. usually
Primers - CCI or whatever I can get my hands on these days.
Old November 4, 2010, 05:00 AM   #17
William T. Watts

Brass R-P & W-W
Bullets Nosler Solid Base (Lead Tip) or Partition is my bullet of choice for rifle, 230gr Golden Sabre for 45ACP!
Primers either CCI or Federal match primers, whichever happens to be available!
Powders H4831/270 & 280, IMR7828/7MM Mag, IMR4895/IMR4064 for 307Win, 308Win, 30/06, 22/250, W231 for 45ACP! These components seem to work best for me! William

Last edited by William T. Watts; November 4, 2010 at 05:06 AM.