The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 2, 2008, 01:39 AM   #1
butta9999

Cracked Cases

Just a little warning to all fellow reloaders. I just took some .223 once fired brass from my tumbler to find several had cracked necks. Some were cracked down to the shoulder. I could understand if they were hot reloads but they were factory 55gr S/P Winchester. I have never encounted this before and i have inspected thousands of rounds from .222 to .300 win mag after the first factory firing. Bad batch of brass! Who knows.
Old July 2, 2008, 09:14 PM   #2
Incognito

That's messed up

What brand where they? Where they purchased as "once fired" or were they new when you bought them? Not to cause insult, but you didn't put ammonia in the media, did you?
I know you stated they were Winchester 55gr s/p - is that the bullet utilized, or factory manufactured store bought cartridges.
Another question; have you shot ammunition through this rifle before without same results? Pictures would be nice. Sorry for all the questions but your post is a little vague and I myself am very curious
Old July 3, 2008, 12:30 AM   #3
butta9999

No these cases were winchester factory loads never fired. No chemicals in my media. Bullets were fired from a sako rifle. Rifle is practially brand new. i think i attached a photo not sure if it worked. Only new to this site
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1681.jpg (221.7 KB, 64 views)
Old July 3, 2008, 02:24 AM   #4
rg1

From your pic it looks like just badly annealed brass. In resizing does the expander ball take more than normal force to pull it thru the neck? I'd suspect the whole lot of that brass as possibly bad?
For what it's worth, I was going thru some loaded ammo that was loaded back in 1992 and I found 2 rounds that were split from shoulder to the mouth. I know they did not split before or during seating of the bullet. I think they split in storage? I've heard of this happening before but have never seen it especially in my loaded ammo.
Old July 3, 2008, 03:06 AM   #5
butta9999

the brass has not been resized that was from winchester factory loads. I am reloading a batch on the weekend ill let you know. Could be the storage thing . The thing is i have reloaded for my .222 and .243 with aged brass before and have only ever had cracked cases after many loads.
Old July 3, 2008, 03:11 AM   #6
mniesen89

Thats some messed up $&*^. If it were me, Winchester would definitely be getting letter and a few phone calls! I guess getting a bad batch is bound to happen eventually though. Just curious, if you reload why fo you still purchase factory ammo?
Old July 3, 2008, 04:42 AM   #7
butta9999

I bought the gun not too long ago. I usually purchase 100 rounds with a new member of the family to run the barrel in. Then i reload from there. Thats why i posted this thread cause i have bought many diff loads for many diff cals but never had cracks on brass fired from factory loads.
i might write to winchester you never know.
Old July 3, 2008, 10:00 PM   #8
Incognito

Well, on the bright side, at least your rifle is OK, and you're not hurt. You stated earlier that it might have been storage thing. I don't know where you aquired the ammo, but I wouldn't get any more from them. If you bought it at a store, bring it to their attention. If it was new ammo, definitely contact Winchester. Let us know how it goes
Old July 4, 2008, 01:27 AM   #9
butta9999

yes i will thanks for the replies.