The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old July 20, 2006, 01:40 PM   #1
jhgreasemonkey

Best 30-06 deer hunting ammo....

Whats your opinon? Deer at medium to 300yd ranges. Large Muley. I have been interested in trying out the federal fusion. This will be the first year hunting with the 30-06. I have previously shot deer with .270 and 7mm with federal classic. Didnt have any problems. Just curious about the other hunters prefferences out there. Thanks.
Old July 20, 2006, 02:10 PM   #2
Wild Bill Bucks

No such thing as BAD 30.06 Ammo. Just some shoots in your gun better than others. Find the brand your rifle likes best in a 150 to 180 grain range, and go for it.
Old July 20, 2006, 02:15 PM   #3
bclark1

Yea. I like the Remington polymer tipped bullets personally. Do my deer shooting with 165gr Premier Accutip Boattails. Group nicely and pack plenty of punch, although I might go to 150gr this coming season, because the 165gr drill right through and don't seem to expand a whole lot. Not much damage to the animal either, just a clean line through, but I'd like something to have something smaller that might deposit a bit more energy by sticking around in the event of a shot that doesn't put it down where it stands.
Old July 20, 2006, 05:17 PM   #4
ElkSlayer6x5

Mine likes

Winchester gxp2 have used the power pt. also the win gxp2 silvertip.
both 150gr. my 06 likes them a lot. does ok with the remington stuff but i guess winchester like's winchester
I hunt blacktail and so far none have run off when hit with winchester ammo
did have to put another round in one once with reminton tho
MHO try the slivertip's on muleys, or go up to the win supreme gxp3. 165gr nosler. plan to use them on Elk
Old July 20, 2006, 06:35 PM   #5
davlandrum

Quote:
165gr Premier Accutip Boattails
+1 and like bclark1, I am considering going down to 150gr. The 165s go through fast, but they have all been 1 shot kills. Knock on wood (and keep practicing...).

My buddy who reloads is building some -06 with 150 accubonds and his dad's load studies. I will let you know when we get some to the range, but that doesn't really answer your question.
Old July 20, 2006, 06:51 PM   #6
Pointer

Federal Vital-Shok 165/168 grs (Barnes TSX bullets)

30-06 FOREVER
Old July 20, 2006, 07:35 PM   #7
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I've almost always used a 150-grain bullet. Rem Bronze Point, Hornady, Sierra. I've found this Federal Premium High Energy 165-grain (I think that's the name) to be very accurate in my rifle; good as my handloads.

Art
Old July 20, 2006, 09:31 PM   #8
bclark1

Quote:
they have all been 1 shot kills.
ha, maybe we've found the proverbial "magic bullet" with the track record we've got, then.

to the winchester silvertips, one range trip i was out of my accutips as was the range store, but i really wanted to put a few more downrange before the season. anyway, we looked into it, and one of the silvertip variants is all-but-identical, ballistically speaking, to the accutips. i don't know about terminal performance, but i just remember the velocity and drop out to like 400 yards were really close, putting them downrange with the same zero confirmed it was pretty good too, i could've hunted with them comfortably. the accutips just really stay tight out of my gun though.
Old July 21, 2006, 08:11 AM   #9
sparkysteve

I used Remington Core-Lokt for a few years, but wasn't too impressed. I since then switched to Winchester Silvertips then to Winchester Ballistic Silvertips. These have produced great results. I hightly reccommend them. Buy a few brands and see what shoots best from your gun.

Dont tread on me.
Old July 21, 2006, 08:48 AM   #10
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

One thing I like about the '06: For bullets of 150 to 180 grains, there's not much difference in trajectory to 300 yards, and it doesn't really matter whether they're boat-tailed or flat-based.

Sight in for two inches high at 100, and you're right at dead-on at 200. That takes care of probably 90% of all deer and elk hunting. Out at 300, the drop is gonna be six to seven inches; how do you tell the difference?

Unless you're really "all married up" to your rifle, you most likely shouldn't be going beyond 300 yards, anyway.

Art
Old July 22, 2006, 04:43 PM   #11
jhgreasemonkey

Cool. Thanks for all the info. I picked up a couple boxes of 150grain core lockt rem ammo because it was on sale. Went out yesterday and practiced. I'm really looking forward to this hunting season. Thanks!