The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 9, 2009, 07:02 PM   #1
avianpattern

I screwed my Glock up...Help

I was installing a 3.5 Ghost trigger today, and ran out for a file to complete the job.

Meanwhile, my GF came home and re-assembled my Glock 23 without a number of components. It is now stuck since the trigger TCT needed to be filed down, and i cant dry-fire it. How do I dissasemble it if I cant pull the trigger?
Old November 9, 2009, 07:04 PM   #2
hoytinak

Take the cover plate off the back of the slide, disassemble the slide and it should come off the frame.
Old November 9, 2009, 07:09 PM   #3
Edward429451

Oh but she will be making that up, I'm sure!
Old November 9, 2009, 07:17 PM   #4
avianpattern

I disassembled the rear cover plate, took everything out. The trigger is still "set" and i cant take it down.
Old November 9, 2009, 07:20 PM   #5
hoytinak

Got me then, pulling the slide apart always worked for me, sorry I couldn't help...good luck. Tell her she broke it for good and owes you big time.
Old November 9, 2009, 11:41 PM   #6
Newton24b

actually she screwed the glock up, not you. although you are at fault for having a gf whos dumb enough to "reassemble" a handgun without being smart enough to notice parts were missing, and let alone dumb enough to reassemble anything without knowing why it was in lots of pieces on the table to begin with.

sounds like you have the classic situation of where only the factory boys have the tools to take the gun apart and fix it up.
Old November 10, 2009, 12:01 AM   #7
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
I disassembled the rear cover plate, took everything out. The trigger is still "set" and i cant take it down.
The trigger has nothing to engage with the striker/firing pin removed so you don't need to pull the trigger to take it down now that you've stripped the slide.

Just skip the trigger pull part of the field strip, pull the slide back slightly and then pull down on the slide lock like you would for normal disassembly. It should come apart.
Old November 10, 2009, 12:05 PM   #8
avianpattern

Thanks guys! With some wiggling and a little bit of applied force, I was able to get it off. The GF got to sit in front of me the whole 90 minutes it took, listening to me drive home why she shouldn't do anything w/o supervision.

"I was scared, I didnt know where you were, i just decided i'd FIX your gun in case I needed it."
Old November 10, 2009, 12:09 PM   #9
ZeSpectre

This is exactly why my i've made it very clear to my wife that anything on my workbench is completely and 100% off limits, not to be touched, moved, cleaned, borrowed, or anything.

If it's on my workbench then SOMETHING IS WRONG WITH IT and she shouldn't "borrow" it.

(She found this out when she "borrowed" a hand-vac that I needed to clean wood dust out of, and it overheated and caught on fire)
Old November 10, 2009, 12:14 PM   #10
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
"I was scared, I didnt know where you were, i just decided i'd FIX your gun in case I needed it."
My man, if that's not a call to get her a gun of her own, then I don't know what is!
Old November 10, 2009, 04:27 PM   #11
LongRifles, Inc.

Quote:
actually she screwed the glock up, not you. although you are at fault for having a gf whos dumb enough to "reassemble" a handgun without being smart enough to notice parts were missing, and let alone dumb enough to reassemble anything without knowing why it was in lots of pieces on the table to begin with.
I'd be thankful I had a woman in my life who took enough interest in the things to even think of tinkering with them. Gunplumbing can be taught but the genuine interest can't. Cheers to the OP!

www.longriflesinc.com
Old November 10, 2009, 05:47 PM   #12
Alleykat

Surprised that NOBODY actually gave you the correct info. The reason you use the orange half-cover, is so that you can trip the trigger bar when you're doing the trial-and-error filing. After you got the slide cover plate off, all you needed to do was push the trigger bar forward with an punch, allen wrench, etc.