The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old February 28, 2011, 09:47 PM   #1
Satanic Toaster

Bulgarian Makarov Experiences?

I am thinking about ordering a Bulgarian Makarov and I was wanting to get some opinions on them. Condition, fit and finish, etc. Thanks!
Old March 1, 2011, 12:32 AM   #2
gyvel

Fit is pretty good, early Bulgarians are very well finished, and, of course, share the legendary reliability of all Makarovs.
Old March 1, 2011, 09:05 AM   #3
Rodger_p

Mine was made in 1979. Great fit and finish. Have never ever had a failure of any kind.

-Rodger
Old March 1, 2011, 09:28 AM   #4
heitz

do you mean the pa-63

if you are refering to the pa-63 I have 2 of them, his and hers, and love them both. they are dependable and good for CCW. I do however recomend the spring kits that lower double action pull to 9lb instead of the 18lb factory.. makes shooting a whole lot nicer.
Old March 1, 2011, 10:52 AM   #5
Claddagh

I bought mine out of curiousity a fair number of years back, mostly because it was very attractively priced (NIB with military/police-type flap holster and cleaning rod, English language manual and two magazines electropencil-numbered to the gun for $175) and I had the cash to spare.

It's turned out to have been an exceptional bargain, IMO: A simple and proven-durable design, relatively compact, all steel construction, nicely fitted, decently finished with a hard chromium-plated bore and chamber. It functions about as reliably as gravity with both ball and JHP ammo and capable of most exceptional accuracy (despite its tiny, shiney fixed sights) with the loads it likes when I do my part correctly.

One can spend more and get a good deal less in a budget-priced HD/SD handgun, IMHO. I'm keeping mine.
Old March 1, 2011, 01:21 PM   #6
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
do you mean the pa-63
The PA-63 is a Hungarian gun, and is of a different design than the actual Makarov PM.
Old March 1, 2011, 02:01 PM   #7
heitz

Oh that's right sorry about that.....I new they were one of the garian types very similar though in may respects.... The caliber is nice for a CCW and Home D since it is power enough to stop but not so much that it will keep going into your neighbors house and the next.
Old March 1, 2011, 08:47 PM   #8
Dabull

Wrong forum? Bulgarians are not C&R eligible.
Old March 1, 2011, 09:58 PM   #9
Satanic Toaster

I know they are not C&R eligible but I figured this subforum would have the best insight into Makarov pistols since it is an older design.

Anyway I ordered one today.
Old March 1, 2011, 10:37 PM   #10
BitterTait

Cheap, reliable, all steel. Expensive magazines that are hard to find. Piece of history, and damn pretty in my opinion. Probably going to be the gun I get buried with.

One thing: confirm that your range of choice allows the cheep Russian surplus ammo. If they've got a steel core, most indoor ranges don't allow them. I did not know this and now have quite a bit of brown bear ammo awaiting the unthawing of the outdoor range.