The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 31, 2014, 09:25 PM   #1
PatrickBateman

Went to the range today!

So i'm a brand new shooter, and have been on the site since for almost a year now. I FINALLY had an opportunity to head out to a range and test out some guns today, and wow, it was incredible. I tested out a few different calibers 9mm, 40S&W, and 45ACP. For 9mm, I used the SIG P226, and the M&P9. Throughout doing research, and reading reviews, I was 100% positive I wanted the P226 as my first handgun. Well, let me just say, I'm glad I had the chance to shoot it before shelling out around $1200. I did not like it that much. Just didn't feel right to me, as to where the M&P felt amazing(M&P will probably be my first handgun when I decide to buy). I handled the recoil pretty well, but to be honest, I was way more accurate with the 45ACP caliber. I shot a Glock 21, and a 1911. To be honest, I hated the 1911. That might be blasphemy to most shooters, but man, it just didn't feel right to me, and I handled the recoil on the Glock 21 a lot better. Apart from the awful sights on the Glock, I enjoyed the Glock 21. As for 40S&W... I'm not going to go into too much detail, because my accuracy was absolutely AWFUL with it. Probably my least favorite round as of right now. But I shot 40 with the Sig P229, and the Glock 22.

Sorry for the longish read, but just wanted to share my experience with you guys, and I look forward to making my first handgun purchase, and joining the club! Have a happy new year guys
Old December 31, 2014, 09:43 PM   #2
lokidansk

Wellcome to the addiction!!!
I am a total M&P fan, I shoot the full size and compact
in both 40 S&W and 9mm. I use the M&P compact in 40 S&W
as my EDC. I'm glad you had big fun but dont stop now, shoot others
as well on different days. Narrow your list and shoot that list on the same day. You'll find your soulmate, at least untill the next soulmate comes along.
'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body......... but rather to skid in sideways with a cigar in one hand & a Scotch in the other......... body thoroughly used up & totally worn out.........screaming 'woo hoo -- what a ride !!'
Old December 31, 2014, 09:43 PM   #3
Uncle Malice

Thanks for you report and congrats on the range trip!

The P226 and M&P are 2 of my favorites. Unfortunate that you didn't like the 226, but good thing you got to try it out before buying. The M&P is a great gun.

Don't worry, I'm not a fan of 40 either. 9mm and 45 for me. The Gen4 Glock 21 is my favorite Glock out of several dozen I have owned. A great gun. The M&P 45 midsize is also very good, as is the M&P 9.

One suggestion I might recommend before making your decision is the new HK VP9. The M&P 9 has been one of my favorites for a long time. I recently picked up the VP9 and it's really impressing me. It may quickly become my favorite polymer gun. If the M&P ergonomics worked well for you, it might be worth a shot.

Best of luck!
Old December 31, 2014, 10:06 PM   #4
PatrickBateman

Uncle Malice, thank you for the suggestion! I was actually strongly considering saving my money a bit more, and purchasing the USP. Would you recommend the USP or the VP9? Or would you say my money is better spent elsewhere? Thanks for the suggestions!
Old December 31, 2014, 10:13 PM   #5
jglsprings

I understand your enthusiasm...

Let's just say I've been doing this a long, long, time. Since I was 14 - how's that?

I also got out to the range today and had the time of my life. I truly had a great day at the range. Everything was easy and I was "on target" all afternoon.

I was working out an issue with one of my Glocks, I took out my newest addition to the 1911 family and I took the Browning HP for a drive.

After 41 years I hope you are having as much fun as you did today. I know I enjoy my hobby just like I started out yesterday...

Happy New Year to young and old alike! Make a resolution to get out there and shoot more and type less in the new year.

Commas save lives...

Last edited by jglsprings; December 31, 2014 at 10:15 PM. Reason: can't add...
Old December 31, 2014, 10:20 PM   #6
Uncle Malice

Quote:
Uncle Malice, thank you for the suggestion! I was actually strongly considering saving my money a bit more, and purchasing the USP. Would you recommend the USP or the VP9? Or would you say my money is better spent elsewhere? Thanks for the suggestions!
I love the USP too, but it's a different beast. If you prefer the striker fired gun, the VP9 is the way to go. The USP is a DA/SA hammer fired gun(or LEM, but that's a different discussion altogether). With the Match trigger kit upgrade, the USP has a very good trigger. It's fairly big and blocky. It feels very utilitarian where the VP9 melts into your hands.

Both are 15rd standard capacity. The VP9 is a good bit cheaper. I think you would be best off to handle them each in person and make that call. I suspect as a new user, you'll prefer the VP9. Can't go wrong either way though.
Old December 31, 2014, 11:24 PM   #7
Noreaster

Give it time you'll eventually buy all of them, even the 226 & 1911. Trust me.
Old December 31, 2014, 11:50 PM   #8
Bongo Boy

Congratulations and welcome. I fully understand and appreciate your experience. My first real training came at Sig Academy, and it was an experience that changed my life, quite literally. Partially because of that 'religious' experience, I too was over-the-top enamored with Sig. Just had to own one, and loved it when I did. But after shooting IDPA and getting hold of a couple other guns, the Sig no longer was quite so golden. It was the M&P I found I could really shoot with..and while it was plastic and not 'half the gun' the Sigs were, I couldn't find any reason to shoot the Sig anymore. These things happen. For whatever reason, I've never taken a liking to 9mm, but I have no problem smiling when shooting the P229 in 9.

I love 40SW and lately shoot very little other than 10mm..but I too am faster and more accurate with the M&P 45ACP than any other gun I shoot. The M&P Pro Series in 40SW is a very, very close second in terms of my accuracy, but it shoots fast and is a blast. You'd like it, I'm sure. Ive found several light to medium 40SW loads that are dead-nuts accurate, and I guess that's why I like it so much--easy to load, easy to shoot.

Anyway, welcome again to the wonderful and exciting 'sport' that is shooting.

I too spent 2 hours at the range today, throwing about 350 rds of 10mm downrange and re-kindling my relationship with my Tangfoglio Witness Hunter. I also warmed up the Glock 20, and put some SD rounds thru the G29. Great way to close out the year. I was also pleased to find that 10,000 primers showed up at the door, so what better way to start out the new year than to get that press warmed up and producing ammo!

Last edited by Bongo Boy; January 1, 2015 at 12:01 AM.
Old December 31, 2014, 11:58 PM   #9
Gene Pool

Quote: "So i'm a brand new shooter, and have been on the site since for almost a year now. I FINALLY had an opportunity to head out to a range and test out some guns today, and wow, it was incredible."

I vividly recall being in that same place...54 years ago. Shortly thereafter I bought my first handgun, a 22 caliber H&R revolver. It cost me $15 at the time, which was nearly a week's take-home pay. My new wife and I had a ton of fun shooting tin cans, leaves floating in the pond, and whatever else we could safely shoot at with it. She was 17 and I was 19. Today, and hundreds of guns later, I still get excited with a new rifle or pistol. Like someone above said, it is an addiction.

So, my recommendation to you is to jump in and get started. Shoot whatever you buy for a while and then sell or trade it on another. If you have the financial means, keep it and buy another, then another, then another. Don't worry about being practical. It's impossible to justify buying guns other than to say you enjoy playing with them. There is nothing bad about that. And if you are married, tell your wife you could always have worse addictions...like motor boating, car racing, sky diving, etc.

Gene Pool

P.S. I don't have the H&R revolver any more, but I still have the same wife. She became my shooting partner.
Old January 3, 2015, 01:15 PM   #10
BigJimP

Figuring out what suits your hands ( not my hands ) ....is 99.9% of the battle.../ so you did great !

I would suggest you stay with a 9mm....based on ammo costs alone / it will make your training a lot less expensive.

Just a note ....but remember within so many mfg's ( especially like Sig - there are so many derivations of the 226 model...and at least 4 different trigger options ...DA/SA --- SAO only --- DAK --- SRT ..../ and you may evaluate more of the Sig 226 line and decide you still don't like them...but they are all a little different ).... / and there are a lot of 1911's in 9mm as well today.../ some shops and some ranges rental cases have a little of everything - some don't ...keep your eyes open during the process.
Old January 3, 2015, 01:27 PM   #11
Brutus

+1 on 9mm for cost of ammo. If your dislike for the 226 was due to the somewhat blocky feel you might entertain the thought of CZ's offerings.
The 75 models are terrific ergonomically, quite accurate and cost much less than a Sig or HK.
Old January 3, 2015, 01:46 PM   #12
Cheapshooter

Just because a gun costs near, or over a grand doesn't mean it is a proper fit for you. If the Sig doesn't feel right, it's not what you need. I too was going to suggest looking into the CZ, or CZ based designs. They have a very ergonomic feel, and the slide inside the frame design helps reduce perceived recoil.
Another option you have not mentioned is Beretta. The 92vs is one of my favorite 9MM handguns to shoot.
Nothing wrong with 9MM. The most economical centerfire for general shooting, and very effective with modern self defense ammo for that purpose.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old January 3, 2015, 03:52 PM   #13
tallball

Whatever you decide on, you can find it on GunBroker inexpensively if you are patient. I am a revolver guy, but thought I would give a plastic 40 a try. It took a couple of months, but I got a S&W LNIB for just over $200, like $207 or something.

If you were thinking of dropping $1000 for a handgun, you can probably get several nice ones for that much money. Then you will have more toys!
Old January 3, 2015, 08:35 PM   #14
aarondhgraham

Quote:
Throughout doing research, and reading reviews, I was 100% positive I wanted the P226 as my first handgun. Well, let me just say, I'm glad I had the chance to shoot it before shelling out around $1200. I did not like it that much. Just didn't feel right to me, as to where the M&P felt amazing(M&P will probably be my first handgun when I decide to buy).
You dodged a bullet that many new shooters have been hit by,,,
They select and buy a gun before they even handle one,,,
I've seen this happen often and it's a crying shame.

In fact I just posted about this topic not five minutes ago,,,
At the very least handle the gun before you buy,,,
If at all possible rent and shoot one.

Way back in time I wanted to buy a Beretta 92 so badly,,,
It was the prettiest/sexiest gun I had ever seen,,,
I was ready to order one on-line from Buds.

I mentioned that to an acquaintance,,,
He said he had one and offered it to me cheap,,,
I drove to his farm and we went out back to shoot a mag.

I saved myself a bunch of cash that day,,,
It's a wonderful gun that "Just didn't feel right to me".

I learned my lesson that day,,,
Buying a gun on specs or reputation alone is not smart.

Aarond

P.S. I later bought a medium frame Beretta 85BB and 87F,,,
All of that wonderful Beretta sexiness,,,
But these guns fit my hand nicely.

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old January 3, 2015, 08:35 PM   #15
Rattlehead

I had a similar experience my first time trying out new guns. I went to the range wanting like hell to like Sig, HK, CZ, high-end 1911s. At the end of the day, the Glock just felt "right" in my hand. Even after a break from handguns (thank you, NY ), I recently picked up a Glock again (after trying 1911s, Berettas, Rugers, etc). Nothing wrong with the other pistols (I rather like the 92FS), but the Glock had that old familiar feeling.

TL;DR - go with your gut and what you shoot best. Did you get a chance to try the M&P 45?
Old January 3, 2015, 08:43 PM   #16
jr24

Glad to hear you got in some shooting!

Gotta say I'm a little surprised that you didn't like the 226 and 1911, but each shooter is different. Might also be blasphemous but I shoot my Glock 21 every bit as good as any of my 1911's, inside of 15 yards (I have big dot sights on the 21 so anything further out is a crap shoot).

You'll be well served with the M&P, I would suggest starting with 9mm since it'll be cheaper to shoot, but I'm a .45 ACP lover as well.

Be sure, if you are still looking around, to see if you can't try a Ruger SR9, CZ (75B, P-09/07) as suggested as well as a Walther P99 or PPQ, some great options that may or may not fit you better.