The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old April 22, 2008, 06:28 PM   #1
bclark1

How's your turkey season?

I'm hunting NE Ohio - they seemed quiet today, but then again, it's only my second season out here. Last year I had a bird in-hand in a couple hours. Today, didn't get a gobble until after 11AM. Bird hung up a ways out and we sat around 'til 11:40, 20 minutes until the close of hunting. At that point I decided to try and move closer. I was out with a buddy of mine who is a new hunter too, and wanted to give him the shot. I moved up on the bird, and I guess the proximity piqued its interest, because it came in fast, suddenly. Which stunk, because I was waving my buddy up to a tree where he'd have a shooting lane. If the tom had stayed hung up, he'd have been fine, but naturally, that was the moment it decided to make a run for me. Whether it was me waving or my friend moving, tom busted us and booked after he'd closed to about 30 yards from me. Brush was so thick there was barely visibility, no shooting lane, bye bye birdy. Major "DOH!" moment. Hoping he didn't get sick of our calls and that I can go find him again tomorrow.
Old April 22, 2008, 07:41 PM   #2
Loaded4yote

Huntings not been that great here. All the rain and flooding seem to have washed the birds off the mountians. Haven't seen so much as a track in the past couple weeks.
Old April 22, 2008, 07:56 PM   #3
BIGR

Not hunted any, but have been watching a big gobbler across the road from the house.
Old April 22, 2008, 08:23 PM   #4
Kreyzhorse

Northern Ky here. Lots of toms that won't break away from their hens. I've been 4 days with no tom sightings at all. Lots of gobbles however.
Old April 22, 2008, 08:23 PM   #5
indybrad

Our season starts tomorrow in Indiana. I'll be hunting till Sunday. bclark1, I've done that half a dozen times, tried moving up on birds and they're right in front of you. Now, I just stay put or walk away while calling to imitate a hen walking away. I still have a hard time being patient, but I've killed a couple birds like that.
Old April 23, 2008, 09:04 PM   #6
bclark1

Skunked again today - looks like I'll be after a late season bird in a few weeks when I have time to get out again next. I think part of it is hunting with two. While I'm no ninja, taking a second person out is at least twice the noise. At least he got a good sense of how it works. Had some good gobbling from sunrise 'til 8:30 or so, but they all clammed up and none came in. Hope everyone else's season picks up.
Old April 24, 2008, 03:48 PM   #7
indybrad

Same thing in my woods, gobbling till fly down then they shut up. Was seeing hens walking around till I left at 1:00. Wish they had some nests to sit on or something.
Old April 24, 2008, 04:10 PM   #8
tplumeri

nailed one yesterday, by accident.
I'm still picking turkey parts out of the front grill.
turkeys pretty much explode when they walk out in front of a car doing 70.
Old April 24, 2008, 05:14 PM   #9
shortwave

took 12 yr. old nephew out Sunday 4/20 (youth season). we got up at 4:30. he had a million questions. i wanted coffee. weather was cool front and rain. figured we were in for bad day and he wouldn`t be able to sit still. told him not to expect to much cause of weather. he asked" do you normally have to track turkey like deer after they`re shot". my reply" na, shoot at middle of neck, they`ll flop around for a minute and you got your bird". we get into woods, turkeys were sounding off everwhere(1st lie). called in a nice tom, boy did everything right, shot bird, bird flopping,we`re hugging and high-fiving for about 5 minutes. all of a sudden turkey(which never stopped flopping) gets up and runs 100mph off over hill(2nd lie). found turkey about 100yds. over hill dead. 10" beard, 11/4" spurs. 20 yrs. turkey hunting best trip i`ve ever had. oh by the way, next day regular season started, hunted two days, me-0. turkey-2:
Old April 25, 2008, 08:54 PM   #10
indybrad

Got this fella about 8:00 out of my blind. I was up on a cleared off ridge top that's about 5 acres. It is up the hill behind me in the pic. It hasn't been cut in a while and I have a corner of it in clover. Had 3 jakes and a hen come out first at about 7:15. Then another hen, followed by this guy, came out of the tall grass. He didn't take 10 steps into the clover and he was a floppin.

22lbs
1" spurs
11.5" beard

Old April 25, 2008, 11:16 PM   #11
ELMOUSMC

The weather has us jinxed 40 mph winds and 5 inched of rain in the past 2 days.The birds all headed for the high ridges and with these shot up pins of mine their safe.Cold tonight chance of snow tomorrow and Sunday,then rain and wind next week this season looks like a bust here ELMOUSMC
Old April 26, 2008, 04:53 PM   #12
eastbank

today was the first day here in pa. for the adult spring male only turkey season. i called up two,but they didn,t gobble, they just came in and i was in to much of a hurry and was busted. i am going to go out sunday night and try to put a few to sleep for monday morning. i hope it rains a little, i am useing my dads md. 12 super X 3 inch mag he bought in 1956.,with 3" loads with 2 oz. of silver plated #6 shot. eastbank.
Old April 29, 2008, 11:39 PM   #13
jdc48160

Me and my buddy from work got whooped by the turkeys this past weekend when we went up north to try and wack a couple gobblers.

I could hear em, I had one coming in, but he never got close enough to get a shot. Probably no closer than I'd guess, 100 yards. Saw one, but as I moved around a small pine on a tree line when I was walking the property line, he spotted me step around the pine to clear my gun for the shot, and took off.

If I had been up earlier in the week, I'd have had a bird no problem. But, I can't get time off work for ANYTHING. Me and my buddy from work couldn't even leave early on saturday to head up north, my boss left early, sticking us with closing up shop. I think, if we had been able to hit the road by 1pm, we'd have been to camp by 3:30-4pm, and probably would have gotten a bird.

It was also partially the wind that spooked them back into the woods late saturday and into sunday.
Old May 1, 2008, 01:12 PM   #14
buck-hunter

Got my Tom (19-1/2#) opening day. Had birds gobbling all around me. Friends who went 2nd & 3rd day said they got quiet. Were'nt doing alot of gobbling.