The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old February 18, 2013, 05:45 PM   #26
The Baron

I'll put my vote in for a Marlin, any Marlin, they're reliable, accurate and cheap.
Old February 18, 2013, 08:06 PM   #27
GunXpatriot

Marlin 795!
Ridiculous accuracy out of a budget gun! Not going to be as good as a benchrest-built 10/22, but it's something that CANNOT be overlooked for it's price.

Honestly, you can't go wrong with any of the ones you listed. They are very high quality. I don't want to keep mentioning Marlin, but if you're going to go for the 455, you'd be better off just going for the Marlin XT-22 vs the Savage Mk II FV. Some of the best shooters in their class, or at least I can vouch for the XT-22, compared to what I've seen from other guns. You may also watch this. It's by Nutnfancy, so you know it's long. It MAY be worth a watch. (Marlin 925 vs CZ 452)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=In7EWuRNSNQ

You can always make the argument that the shooter matters more than the gun itself, but the Marlin 925 was able to match the CZ 452. The XT-22 does have the pro-fire trigger, so it can potentially shooter better than it did here. Not scientific or anything, but just something you may want to see. I know for a fact the FV can shoot as well as an XT-22.

Aside from those, just go for a full blown Anschutz.
Old February 18, 2013, 11:25 PM   #28
sholling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachary H.
Extreme accuracy isn't super important to me. It has to be decently accurate, but I am just going to use it as a training tool for shooting centerfires down the road. Now if it knocks off a few rabbits & squirrels in the process, that's gravy If I do start competing I will definitely get a better rifle.
Since you've narrowed down your goals I recommend a CZ455 American (~$400) and mounting a good quality scope on it, the American is designed for use with a scope and you can buy additional barrels for more exotic rimfire calibers.
Old February 21, 2013, 07:58 PM   #29
Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Zachary,

As you can see above, there are many choices.

However, you say in your first post that you want a heavy barrel, partly because of heat build up.

Well, if you can shoot fast enough with a .22 for heat to be an issue, I want to watch you do it.

More important is barrel quality.

I got a very good deal. paid 600.00 for a rifle that was ordered directly from Clark Custom for 785.00 shipped and traded in without shooting because of the .920, 20" barrel.

This is a Clark Custom 77/22 which is a RUGER 77/22 tricked out by Clark.

The barrel is a walther barrel, and it simply shoots fantastic.

Were I to order one, I'd go with the much lighter barrel, as it is a heavy rifle.

The CZ shoots way better then should be expected from a rifle of that price level.

Go to Rimfire Central Forum, and you can spend days going over all the reports of the many .22s available.

CRusty Deary Ol'Coot
Old February 21, 2013, 11:28 PM   #30
SerenityNetworks

Re: Good .22lr target rifle?

Towards the goal of learning to shoot, centerfire or rimfire, I simply have to recommend a Marlin 795, a GI sling, Tech Sights, elbow pads, sunblock, a brick of .22 ammo, an RWVA membership, and a weekend at a nearby Appleseed event. For less than $200 you get all the equipment needed, the weekend is $80, and the RWVA membership is $20. For less than $300 you get the best value in fundamentals training you can possibly obtain and an excellent plinking / small game rifle that you can use for life. I'd really suggest you check out http://www.appleseedinfo.org/as_faq.html

Also, the exposure you receive at the Appleseed and during the intervening time will help you make the longer term decisions on what higher quality rifle(s) to purchase.

For a tack driver, I absolutely love my CZ (.204 Ruger). I see rifles at the range costing more than double of what I paid for the CZ and they don't shoot as well (of course some also shoot better, but they paid a lot more). Yet as much as I love my CZ, I shoot the Marlin a lot more - and quality trigger time (IMHO) is the best teacher.

Just my 2 cents,
Andrew
Old February 22, 2013, 12:51 PM   #31
Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Zachary,

Andrew the last poster has some good points.

What are your long term goals and desires as per a .22 rimfire rifle.

I spoke of barrel quality earlier, so will try to keep the following short and still get the point across.

Also Not slinging stones or mud at anyone's rifle choice here, just relating my experience and attempting to make a point.

About 4 years ago, a friend and I decided to have a friendly shoot off, he with his semi-target rifle, a Savage Mark ??? single shot and I with my Clark Custom 77/22.

The first summer, we shot mostly target and match ammo, including Eley, Lapua, the old and no longer made Federal Gold Metal Match like was used to win metals in one of the Olympic matches some years back, as well as a bunch of other brands and types of match ammo.

All shooting was done from the same boxes of ammo, of the same bench and bags and on the same calm morning.

The first go around left me wondering at the value in my much more expensive rifle and scope, as Jack's rifle shot right along side the CRuger and out shot it a few times. Lots of little 50yd groups that day, from both rifles.

The next summer, same place, similar conditions, same bench and bags, but this time with typical off the shelf type .22lr ammo.

Hmmmmmmm! Whole different story this time, and a clear indication of the value in a quality barrel.

While Jack's rifle did shoot a few good groups as would be expected when testing any reasonable .22 with a broad range of brands an types of ammo, the CRuger with the Walther barrel just kept shooting nice little groups with anything larger being the exception.

I then had a clear visual picture of why I had spent the bucks to buy the rifle and scope I did.

Every rifle will have ammo it favors above others, but the better the rifle and barrel, the easier it is to find ammo that shoots very well in your rifle.

Simply put, the higher quality, the more brands and types of ammo which will shoot well.

I had an itch that needed a very accurate .22 to do the scratching.

What are your long term needs and desires in regards to a .22 rimfire?

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
Old February 24, 2013, 03:05 PM   #32
aarondhgraham

I drank the CZ Kool-Aid,,,

I drank the CZ Kool-Aid,,,
And very good Kool-Aid it is,

I own several very nice .22 rifles,,,
H&R Sportster, Henry Accu-bolt, Mossberg 340-KC,,,
By far the most accurate one for me is my CZ-452 Special Military Trainer.

My buddy has a Savage .22 LR that I shoot a bit,,,
I hit better with my CZ but that could just be familiarity.

The old 1950's Mossberg is a close second.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old March 5, 2013, 05:25 PM   #33
KMyerK98

Bolt vs Autoloader vs Single Shot

I agree with the other posts here regarding the bolt actions vs the Ruger 10/22. I built a few Ruger's for fun, for an education, and then used them for benchrest shooting. Best I ever did was a 20x-250 with Wolf ammo. A buddy of mine had a Ruger #3 in 22LR and he hit a few 25X-250's with that. I've read of the 10/22 with Valquartzen stuff that will do better but the price goes up too!

Other option: A T/C Encore with a match/accuracy barrel (eabco.com) and target stock will allow you to get to your next cartridge by just purchasing another barrel (for around $400), and another for varmints, and another for Elk, and... but I degress

If your going to migrate into larger cartridges you may want to consider the action your moving to. If your going to go to a bolt gun then by all means train on a bolt 22LR. If your going to use an AR style for target shooting/competing then maybe you would want a semi-auto 22.

If you can find a used 10/22 ($200?) to set up for target then it will need the following to be competitive:

1. Trigger (Timney or other, add $100) or polish the sear on stock trigger.
2. Stock (Heavy barrel requires a stock with a larger inlet for bull bbl, I like Fajen's, adjustable cheek and length of pull - $129.00)
3. Heavy Barrel (many good barrels for around $100-150+)
3a. Optics, make sure you get something that will have parellax down to 15 yards if your going to shoot benchrest indoors (15 yards).

For optics you can go inexpensive for a good one ($300?) or buy a really nice scope (for that 260 Remmy 1000 yd rifle down the road?) and be able to move it to your higher caliber when ready to upgrade.

So yea, the Ruger will run around $800-1000 (depending on optics) to shoot sub-moa. You can do it in stages and still practice if upgraded in the above order. The Fajen stock will work with the original barrel but will be required for a new bull barrel. The optics will have to be added when you add the barrel because there are no sights on the bull barrels.

One thing this rig will do that the bolt or single shot gun can't; pop off 5-penny sized targets at 50 yards in about 5 seconds or less!! The 10/22 has a bit more "fun factor" then the others.

Last edited by KMyerK98; March 5, 2013 at 05:34 PM.
Old March 6, 2013, 01:18 PM   #34
Jimbo-Indy

My vote is for the CZ 453 Varmint. Shoots way better than you would think for the price. The 453 has the set trigger that is user adjustable. Mine was factory set for 14 oz. Scope is a 4.5-14 X42 Burris in CZ mounts. I have fun at the range by chasing an empty 45 auto brass around the 50 yd. berm.

group is 25 shots with Eley Match @ 50 yds. Yea, I pulled a few.