The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 3, 2009, 09:38 PM   #1
M4Sherman

Military Armor

excuse me if this isn't right place to ask this question.

Ok so I was surfing craigslist and I found a dude who was selling his army battle armor and helmet and I was curious if there are any laws against buying it.

Thanks for your help
Old March 3, 2009, 09:42 PM   #2
hoytinak

Check your state laws as it depends on your state.
Old March 3, 2009, 11:09 PM   #3
2amencw

armor

make sure that he bought it himself and can provide some kind of receipt. ask to see the contract number or serial number. You can verify with the manufacturer that it is an individual or government contract. If you dont and it turns out to be hot eventually you will get a visit from a federal agent to confiscate the vest and all you will have left is a receipt.been there done that
Old March 3, 2009, 11:28 PM   #4
armsmaster270

The Military does not allow soldiers to keep durable items when they leave.
Old March 4, 2009, 12:40 AM   #5
Tatsumi67

If a guy can only describe it as "military armor" he's probably blowing smoke.

Don't bother.

Get yourself a plate carrier and some civilian legal soft armor plates
Currently schemeing on an AR-15 build.
Old March 4, 2009, 03:26 AM   #6
totalloser

Current issue "military armor" is barely better than nothing. Our enemies are well aware that it will not stop bullets, and it is a abhorrent injustice that our boys were not allowed to use armor they purchased which more often than not was "dragon skin" which will stop repeated hits from close range high power rifles. I wouldn't buy military flak at all. Only good reliably for shrapnel.

Dragon skin is worth thousands, depending on coverage. Otherwise, theres spectra and Kevlar, based on threat level. I, too, would be very leery of a seller selling "military armor".
Old March 4, 2009, 07:49 AM   #7
Bartholomew Roberts

Quote:
Current issue "military armor" is barely better than nothing. Our enemies are well aware that it will not stop bullets, and it is a abhorrent injustice that our boys were not allowed to use armor they purchased which more often than not was "dragon skin" which will stop repeated hits from close range high power rifles.
You might want to read up on the Dragon Skin controversy or this 14 page discussion by guys who have actually used it in Iraq and Afghanistan. There are apparently issues with adhesive used to hold the ceramic disks failing at temperatures around 120F - no ceramic disks means no stoppy bullet.
Old March 4, 2009, 08:46 AM   #8
vranasaurus

As was stated before make sure that this is his own personal purchase and not something he stole from the military. A guy from my unit was busted for selling military issued ballistic/sunglasses and laptop batteries on ebay while we were in Kuwait.

Most things would be hard for the government to prove it was actually theirs. But IBA carries a serial number that can be traced.

I assumed in the above we are talking about current issue IBA but if we are just talking about a flak vest then I don't see any issue. Those things can be found in surplus stores all over the place.

Quote:
Current issue "military armor" is barely better than nothing. Our enemies are well aware that it will not stop bullets, and it is a abhorrent injustice that our boys were not allowed to use armor they purchased which more often than not was "dragon skin" which will stop repeated hits from close range high power rifles. I wouldn't buy military flak at all. Only good reliably for shrapnel.

Current military armor is not "barely better than nothing". The soft armor will stop most hadngun rounds and the plates will stop a 7.62 round. So saying it will not stop bulletts is just ingorant nonsense.

The technology has come a long way from the vietnam era flak vests.
Old March 4, 2009, 08:49 AM   #9
hoytinak

Quote:
Current issue "military armor" is barely better than nothing. Our enemies are well aware that it will not stop bullets
Unfortunately, I happen to know personally that the current Point Blank SAPI plate will stop a 7.62x39 round fired from about 75 yards.