The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 16, 2009, 07:04 PM   #1
tiberius10721

black powder shooter from now on!

I have more fun loading and firing my 1858 remmington replica than firing my modern day handguns so I think from now on most of my shooting is going to be black powder.talked to the owner of a local gun store here in turlock ca and I told him if he would carry the percussion caps and the lead balls I would buy them there instead of driving to bass pro shop 20 miles away or ordering online!He liked that idea.so far it seems like black powder supplies are easy to get.knock on wood....
Old April 16, 2009, 07:05 PM   #2
tiberius10721

Im buying my 13 year old son a black powder pistol also!he loves loading and shooting mine.Now I just got to teach him to love cleaning it right!lol
Old April 16, 2009, 08:47 PM   #3
long rider

Thats ezzzzy just tell him if you dont clean it
you dont shoot it.
Old April 16, 2009, 09:47 PM   #4
longranger

Next B/P gun get a Long Range M/L ultimate in black powder,Pedersoli makes a copy of the original Gibbs rifle.Good to 1000yd + woohoo,If you have a pile money and 2 years to wait the Sharps rifles are simply the most beautiful weapon ever built(American Sharps)
Old April 16, 2009, 10:53 PM   #5
SIGSHR

Most of my BP shooting lately is at reenactments. Don't have to worry about accuracy at them.
Old April 17, 2009, 01:34 PM   #6
CaptainCrossman

BP/CB is a welcome change, and keeps it interesting- if you get tired of the mess, try a good cartridge conversion pistol, and reload full cases of black or pyrodex w/round balls- that's really fun too- quick loading/reloading, without the mess of greasing chambers to prevent chainfire, and no cap jams- but still the big "boom", smoke, and kick, just like a chamber full of black

when that gets a little old (the cylinder arbor on Colts without a gas check, will still foul with BP cartridges, making cylinder hard to turn after about 75 shots)- then switch to reloads per cowboy action specs of smokeless- that's really fun too- and no mess at all ! 5 grains of Bullseye w/125 grain round ball is a blast !
Old April 18, 2009, 01:44 AM   #7
timothy75

Always nice to hear about another convert. Dont be afraid to try cartridge guns with BP too. You dont have to empty every cylinder at the range and they'll keep you safe on the way home.
Old April 18, 2009, 10:47 AM   #8
Walther22lr

Quote:
Dont be afraid to try cartridge guns with BP too.
I kind of did that with my Springfield Armory 1911A1 in .45 acp as an experiment once, but I used Pyrodex. I remembered reading an article many years ago about a fellow who loaded up a Submachine gun with bp loaded .45 acp ammo. It worked just fine in the article.

My pistol cycled a little bit slower, but had no problem feeding, firing and ejecting the Pyrodex loaded cartridges.

Got some funny looks from the other folks at the range, but it sure was fun!