The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old January 7, 2005, 01:57 AM   #1
Robert M Boren Sr

What can US civies buy?

I've seen reference to some civilians owning Heckler and Koch G36s and the like. I thought that automatic weapons had to be made prior to 1986 for a civilian to own one legally. So I wanted to know if it was possible for a civilian to get their hands on a post-1986 automatic rifle, such as a SIG 552 SWAT or HK G36K, legally, and if so, how?
Old January 7, 2005, 08:00 AM   #2
Greenfurniture

Nope. Not without joining up with Uncle Sam, becoming a LEO or getting and FFL w/SOT.

Some people do some things that might not be legal, but that's them.
Old January 8, 2005, 09:44 PM   #3
abelew

Class 3 dealers can have them, soldiers can have them if they are ISSUED, but they can't buy one for their own purposes, and LEOs have to have their chief (or someone like that) sign a letter authorizing the purchase for work related needs.
Old January 8, 2005, 10:27 PM   #4
Greenfurniture

Uh, the chief LEO can obtain Class III, post sample weapons for the department and issue them to the officers, but they can't simply sign off for an individual officer to go out and obtain them.
Old January 10, 2005, 06:06 PM   #5
NFACurious

Quote:
Nope. Not without joining up with Uncle Sam, becoming a LEO or getting and FFL w/SOT.
So have I got this correct? A Class 3 SOT can own post-86 weapons?
Old January 10, 2005, 06:26 PM   #6
Asmodeous

Only with a letter from a PD requesting a demo of the post-86 gun.
Old January 10, 2005, 06:50 PM   #7
shaggy

...and when/if the licensee loses or voluntarily relinquishes his SOT, any post-86 samples must either be sold off to another SOT (who has to get a demo letter) or destroyed. As an SOT you really only get temporary custody of post-86 samples.
Old January 10, 2005, 08:32 PM   #8
NFACurious

Ahh ok that makes sense. But since a Class 2 SOT can make them, and a Class 1 can import them, do they have to get letter authorizing a demo gun? I know that when a Class 2 SOT makes one, they have to notify the ATF with in 24 hours of the completion of the gun. If they can create non-exisiting post-86 weapons, why do they need the demo letter? Also is there a specific time limit on demo guns?
Old January 10, 2005, 08:51 PM   #9
shaggy

You need no demo letter for making post samples as an 07FFL/SOT, but the requirements are slightly more strict and more costly for the manufacturers license. The ITAR fee alone just went to about $1750 per year. Add to that the $500/year SOT and the base 07, state and local business licenses and you're probably close to, if not well over $3000 per year. Additionally, you'll need proper zoning for light manufacturing, and yes BATF does check. Finally, as a manufacturer you will need to sell some items you make and show that you are engaged in a bonafide business requiring an 07/SOT otherwise your license will be pulled by BATF (at which point, you'll have to sell or destroy any post samples as noted above).

If you're thinking about getting an SOT as a means of expanding your personal collection, I would strongly advise against it.