The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 17, 2001, 10:10 PM   #1
CSOs ROCK

I'm looking to get a shotgun.
Not for hunting, strictly for recreational shooting at the range and home defense.

I'm pretty much sold on the Remington 870s but I don't know which one to get. I was thinking of the Marine Magnum but the EXP HD looks nice too. I want something that will last me.

Is it worth paying the extra few $100 for the MM?
Or is it better if I just stay with a EXP HD and buy an extention tube?
Old March 17, 2001, 11:33 PM   #2
PJR

The HD Express doesn't take a magazine extension unless you drill out the dimples in the magazine tube. It's not a big issue to do so. The Marine Magnum would be my choice over the Express but the 870 Police is the one I own because I prefer blue steel and a wood stock.
Old March 18, 2001, 01:09 AM   #3
notbubba

Either one is a good choice.
A marine magnum's stainless steel is easier upkeep.
As far as wanting"something that will last me" an 870 will last you and your grandkids.
Old March 18, 2001, 08:43 AM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Get the 870, but hold off on the options for now. Shoot up at least a case of ammo, preferably over several sessions. Is there anything, at this point, that seems to need "fixing" or is bothering you? Maybe stock fit, maybe recoil, maybe the sights. Go slow and rectify. Shoot another case of ammo up. If that problem's fixed, figure out what cannot be done with the weapon that could be done with hardware and proceed accordingly.

Shoot some more. If you're shooting trap, skeet or clays, shoot another game and see if that brings up any new glitches.

HTH....
Old March 18, 2001, 09:50 AM   #5
Lightsped

Get a Mossberg 590, or 590A1. This is a 9 shot self defense shotgun. I own one myself and have been very pleased with it. Most of the police agencies around here use Mossbergs as well...

Here is mine:

Old March 18, 2001, 09:20 PM   #6
General Tso

I have an 870HD and it was a pretty good gun out of the box. The mag tube issue I find sort of annoying but, to be honest, it's not a big deal I feel pretty comfortable with the 4 shot tube on a house gun. I am sorta looking at full length tube guns now for teh heck of it but my 4 shot HD will likely remain my house gun.

On the plus side. I found I really like how the short mag tube version handles. Seems a little lighter and a little easier to manuever than a full tube gun. Probably not by much, but it's noticeable. I eventually swapped out the big sporting fore end with a Choate police fore end, and have a Side Saddle I'll probably throw back on the gun (it was shooting loose before, haven't figured out why yet). Other than that the only other thing I may do is put a tritium bead on it. Can't ask for a whole lot more than that in a house gun IMO.

Old March 19, 2001, 01:13 PM   #7
Kharn

If you are thinking about doing sporting clays with the shotgun in the future, get the Remington 870 combo set, with 28" Remchoke and 20" IC barrel with rifle sights. The 20" barrel will let you use an 8 round extension without extending past the muzzle, already has the rifle sights, which, IIRC, you can change to tritium or ghost rings if you are so inclined, and it wont spread the shot as much as the cylinder bore. Also, its good for going after Bambi with lead slugs. $330 at Wally world. ($90 more then the 870 HD, most barrels cost around $120+, so you are getting a bargain)

Kharn
Old March 20, 2001, 07:44 PM   #8
Tom B

I have the Rem 870PM and the Winchester 1300 Defender. Just got rid of the Mossberg Jungle gun. The Winchester is great for the money. Just as accurate and reliable as my 870. I would say start with the Rem 870HD and don't worry about mag ext. I have the mag ext and 4rd sidesaddle on my 870. It looks mean and would scare the crap out of someone but it throws the gun out of balance. Also take a close look at the Benelli Nova SP. It seems to be a hot item. I just can't warm up to the Mossy.