The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 17, 2016, 04:13 PM   #26
K_Mac

For me Glocks are much like sweet potatoes! As a kid and young man I hated sweet potatoes; as an old guy I have come to appreciate them. Still not my favorite food, but a good option nonetheless. It has taken me years to warm up to Glocks. I still don't love them, but if I knew I was going into a gunfight with a handgun, a Glock would be on the short list for me.
Old April 17, 2016, 04:31 PM   #27
DPris
Member Emeritus

I've been disappointed in the Glock grip since 1985.
Where you been?
Denis
Old April 17, 2016, 04:33 PM   #28
Kvon2

While I certainly respect the build quality and reliability of the glock, I would take the FNH, m&p, or the XD over it just as a personal preference.

All great guns though!
Old April 17, 2016, 04:38 PM   #29
AK103K

Quote:
To me, firing a Glock and a 1911 side by side, the 1911 points naturally, is well balanced in the hand, and feels all around like a firearm. After firing the 1911, picking up a Glock feels like somebody just handed me a 2x4 with a weird feeling bump on it.
Which 1911? The one with the flat MSH and long trigger, or the GI A1 version, with the arched MSH and short trigger? The later and the Glocks really arent all that different.

As far as thickness, all the grips on my 9mm high cap Glocks, have a measured thickness side to side that is "thinner" than my 1911's measured at the same point.

As far as grip angles in general, once you have shot any of them for a little bit, your brain registers whats needed for them to index them properly when held. It usually doesnt take but a mag or two for your brain to "readjust" its indexing, and youre pointing naturally again, with whatever it is in your hand at the moment. Unless of course, you choose to fight it.

Over the years, Ive used 1911's longer than anything else. Spent a lot of time with SIG's, HK's, Walthers, Glocks, and a number of others, revolvers too, and have no troubles switching back and forth at will with them, but I do shoot them or something similar on a fairly regular basis.
Old April 17, 2016, 04:49 PM   #30
K_Mac

Quote:
As far as grip angles in general, once you have shot any of them for a little bit, your brain registers whats needed for them to index them properly when held. It usually doesnt take but a mag or two for your brain to "readjust" its indexing, and youre pointing naturally again, with whatever it is in your hand at the moment. Unless of course, you choose to fight it.
AK, I denied your above statement for years, insisting that changing platforms required too much work to be practical for most people. I don't know where I changed my mind, but I now believe you are absolutely correct. It doesn't take too many rounds for me to adjust to different platforms. Maybe it is just experience...
Old April 17, 2016, 04:59 PM   #31
amd6547

I like the glock grip just fine, whether my G17 or G26. I shot HiPowers and 1911's, as well as many other handguns for years.
Doesn't matter what I pick up...Tokarev, K-frame S&W, 1911, or glock..
They all feel and point great for me.

To me, a glock doesn't feel right untill it has a loaded magazine and I'm shooting it...then, it feel perfect.
Old April 17, 2016, 05:16 PM   #32
TBT

I'll be the dissenting opinion. I've found through my travels that how a gun feels in your hand is meaningless except for if it affects how often you want to shoot. I've shot guns that don't feel great in the hand and I shoot them better than some that do. Fit is one thing. Can you operate the controls versus your hand size. Results are another. Do you, after some time behind the trigger, shoot it well? But how it "feels" in your hand? Heh. It's been my experience that this means nothing. At least for me.
Old April 17, 2016, 05:37 PM   #33
KyJim

Quote:
A professor once told me while I was studying piano, that no matter how bad the action is or instrument given you, that you must adapt to that instrument. You do not have the luxury of taking your instrument everywhere you go, like a violinist or vocalist.
But a pistol is more like a violin than a piano. You can take it with you. No reason to have to adapt to something that is not ergonomic. M&Ps are solid, reliable handguns.
Old April 17, 2016, 06:30 PM   #34
Glockomatik

Glock 17 Gen 3

I love the grip on all of my Glocks (see my signature, granted i don't own a 17, that will be my next purchase). But all of mine are Gen 3's. The grip of the gen 3 doesn't feel like sandpaper in my hand like the Gen 4 does in my opinion

Stay safe out there!
Old April 17, 2016, 07:43 PM   #35
Dave1911

The angle is what the angle is but there are the back strap and generation variables.

The Gen 4 in a case will most likely not have a back strap attached. It will be the small size. The medium or large back strap will give it a different feel. And they also have medium and large with beaver tails if that makes a difference.

The Gen 3 is supposed to be the Gen 4 with a medium back strap if I have my facts right. I bought a Gen 4 and ended up with putting on the medium back strap after two range trips and have not changed it.
Old April 17, 2016, 07:57 PM   #36
wpsdlrg

I agree that the G17 grip is not really "comfortable". But, does that really matter ? The real question, in my opinion, is whether the gun (attached to the grip in question) works for you. That is, do you shoot it well ? A hand gun is not really a thing to be fondled. Therefore, to me, it is not important whether the grip is particularly comfortable. As it is, I happen to shoot my "uncomfortable" G17 quite well.....and in fact, I compete with it.
Old April 17, 2016, 08:42 PM   #37
buckmt1

grips etc

Have a Glock 43, its ok, went to range put 200 rounds through it.
Like my CZ 75B more, grip angle is more comfortable. Its more "pointable"

Artillery King Of The Battlefield
Old April 18, 2016, 06:12 AM   #38
Independent George

This is why it's nice to have lots of choices in a mature market. Everybody's hands are a little different, and so everybody will gravitate towards a different make & model. There's no single right answer - only the best answer for each person.
Old April 18, 2016, 12:07 PM   #39
T. O'Heir

"...Don't feel guilty or upset..." Absolutely. Sometimes a pistol just doesn't feel or fit right. Even a Pachmayr grip sleeve may not make a Glock feel/fit right. And nothing else matters.
Old April 18, 2016, 06:49 PM   #40
pturner67

I have a Gen3 G17 and have a Hogue slip-on grip. It really makes the grip considerably better.

Not sure if Hogue makes one for the Gen4, but Pachmayr does.
Old April 18, 2016, 09:52 PM   #41
Navistar

I like the feel of the 30s. My hands are too small for full frame glocks
Old April 19, 2016, 01:08 AM   #42
drobs

Skip the 17 and try a 19. They do everything the 17 does and conceal easier.
Find a range where you rent and shoot both.
Old April 19, 2016, 02:10 AM   #43
marine6680

The gen 4 glocs actually managed to feel good enough for me to finally get a Glock.

If they made a version without the finger grooves, I would like them better. Now, I would still have the grip angle to deal with, but I find that to be fairly easy to adapt to for the most part.

Still my M&P and VP9 are pretty much tied for my favorite polymer pistols I own my PPQ is up there too, but it's new, so I am still feeling it out. Though so far it's been great.

I did put an Apex kit into my M&P, and that really makes for a sweet setup.

I agree that the CZ pistols feel great, I own two... Awesome pistols. The trigger on some can be a bit heavy and rough at first, but they will smooth out after you shoot it a bit.
Old April 19, 2016, 07:43 AM   #44
rodfac

The objections to Glocks in general, center around the feel of the grip and the trigger. Both are easily overcome, in my experience, with some time on the range. The grip's blockiness is the single feature I found most annoying. While the Gen 4's grip has inserts, it's still too long from the trigger for me and I wear size L gloves.

You can 'fix' part of the grip feel and especially the trigger guard's impact on your 2nd finger with a little judicious use of 320 grit sandpaper and a wooden dowel. U-tube no doubt has a dozen videos on how to do this...it really helped my wife's G23.

The trigger is another story. Some have used a different connector, but I found that a Dremell with the polishing wheel on the interfacing parts smoothed the pull.

I rented a G17 for Front Sight's 4-day, Defensive Handgun Course several years ago. As a dyed in the wool 1911 user for over 45 yrs. at that point, I wondered if I'd like/or at least get used to the Glock's notorious trigger. It turned out to be a non-issue on the first day. By the 4th or 5th magazine, I was tuned in to it. The last day I won the steel challenge event and shot distinguished with the gun...

Hope you enjoy yours. Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old April 19, 2016, 08:44 AM   #45
Sarge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis
I've been disappointed in the Glock grip since 1985.
Where you been?
You & me both, brother; and I dislike the trigger just as bad. I fixed the grip and trigger deficiencies by acquiring a Sig P229.

I successfully avoided Glocks until 2008 when I painted myself into a corner where I had to train people with them. I am finally done with that my last Glock is getting sold this week. They are OK for their intended purpose, which is to give a moderately trained shooter a good chance of surviving a gunfight at two car lengths.
Old April 19, 2016, 11:10 AM   #46
K_Mac

Sarge how do you come to the conclusion that Gocks are designed for moderately trained shooters at close range? While I am not a huge Glock fan, there are many with skills far better than "moderate" that choose Glocks. Whether the grip or trigger is to your liking or not, their simple and reliable function is hard to beat. I don't understand the need to denigrate what isn't liked.

Last edited by K_Mac; April 19, 2016 at 11:05 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old April 19, 2016, 11:42 AM   #47
JDBerg

Quote:
The objections to Glocks in general, center around the feel of the grip and the trigger. Both are easily overcome, in my experience, with some time on the range.
And this is the fact, it takes significant range practice to get proficient with any firearm. A gun is a keeper if it's reliable and I can hit my target with it, regardless of whether I have a minor nit about the sights, trigger, or grip ergonomics!
Old April 19, 2016, 11:45 AM   #48
9x45

I've been carrying and shooting competition with Glocks since 1992 and have developed a permanent dent in my right index finger between the first 2 joints. Keep in mind that Glocks are just hammers, a tool at the end of the day, but hammers have a better grip. As far as trigger goes, you'll never make it into a 1911 or CZ, but their is a simple fix, just pull the trigger about 50,000 times and it will seem normal.
Old April 19, 2016, 12:59 PM   #49
mrdaputer

My G19 bothered me so bad I solved the problem I sold it!
Old April 19, 2016, 01:26 PM   #50
Sarge

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Mac
Sarge how do you come to the conclusion that Gocks are designed for moderately trained shooters at close range? While I am not a huge Glock fan, there are many with skills far better than "moderate" that choose Glocks. Whether the grip or trigger is to your liking or not, their simple and reliable function is hard to beat. I don't understand the need to denigrate what isn't liked.
What do you think a military service pistol is designed for?