The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old April 3, 2013, 04:08 PM   #1
new_camper

Heard a rumor and was wondering if anyone else heard it

I heard that CCI was entering a scheduled transition/shutdown/maintianence or something of that nature at their .22lr ammo plant at the time or a little before the panic happened and that was the reason that there is so little. I know to take rumors with a grain of salt, but was wondering if anyone had heard the same thing.
Old April 3, 2013, 04:29 PM   #2
BarryLee

Since much of this happened around the Holiday period it is possible. Many manufacturing plants close around then every year for a variety of reasons. I worked for a place once that closed for a week each Christmas and another week each July 4th.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old April 3, 2013, 04:33 PM   #3
Maineah

I was at my LGS today and was chatting with the owner. He said when all of this hit CCI took out their rimfire machines and put in centerfire machines.

According to him they're now getting caught up on back orders and will resume making rimfire again shortly.

Take it for what it's worth. I know next to nothing about ammo manufacturing.
Old April 4, 2013, 02:14 AM   #4
steveno

rimfire and centerfire loading machines are very different. I doubt they have to move some machines out and move others in.
Old April 4, 2013, 05:36 AM   #5
Aguila Blanca
Staff

To move out the rimfire machines and move in centerfire machines, they would have had to buy a bunch of centerfire machines. It's very unlikely, IMHO, that they would have spent the money to buy a bunch of expensive new machinery, for which they would have had to retrain the operators of the rimfire machines, as a response to what will most likely be a temporary surge in demand. Meanwhile, the rimfire machines (which may or may not still have capital value and which certainly were busily engaged in making ammunition for a profit) would be sidelined, taking up space somewhere and NOT producing any income.

That makes a nice story, but it doesn't make any sense.
Old April 4, 2013, 06:46 AM   #6
Double Naught Spy

Have to agree, doesn't make sense.

I don't understand the need for rumors to explain shortages already occurring. There is another thread here right now that Kel Tec might be shutting down or going out of business, heard from people who would know purportedly.
Old April 4, 2013, 07:53 AM   #7
panamint

You would think that if they need the space for new machines they would just ad more square footage. Since the own both machine, the smart thing would be to run both machines 24/7. Doesn't make seem very smart to have any machines sitting and not making money with such a high demand right now.
Scott
Old April 4, 2013, 07:58 AM   #8
gaseousclay

the internet is rife with rumours. rather than perpetuating these rumours it's probably best to just contact CCI directly and ask them.
Old April 5, 2013, 11:33 AM   #9
Nickel Plated

Quote:
You would think that if they need the space for new machines they would just ad more square footage. Since the own both machine, the smart thing would be to run both machines 24/7. Doesn't make seem very smart to have any machines sitting and not making money with such a high demand right now.Scott
Exactly the issue. This level of demand is in all likelyhood not permanent. What will they do with all that extra machinery, factory space and manpower when demand drops back to normal?