The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 16, 2012, 06:49 PM   #26
jaguarxk120

I mentioned the stainless pins because that's what I went to after years using the vibrator machines. My tumbler came used, when I opened up the drum it was full of regular media everyone use's. Purchased the stainless pins from Bufalo Arms, I don't think I'll go back to the vibrator cleaning.
My case's come out spotless inside and out.
Old December 16, 2012, 07:47 PM   #27
kimbers rule

My frankford tumbler only lasted about 8 months and the motor went out. I tried to get them to fix it and they said ther is only a 90 day waranty. So I bought a lyman and its lasted 4 years of heavy use. Ill never buy a frankford arsanal product again.
Old December 16, 2012, 09:51 PM   #28
Mike38

The absolute best value in a tumbler? Don’t buy one. I have been reloading for 15 years and have never owned a tumbler. Both rifle and pistol. The way I look at it, a hole in the X-ring, or a dead game animal doesn’t care if it came from a bright and shinny piece of brass.
Old December 16, 2012, 10:23 PM   #29
jcwit

True, but I like good looking equipment and ammo, just as I like a newly waxed car, shined shoes, shaved face "my own", sharply pressed pants and shirt, etc., etc. I never ever leave the house in sweat pants or sweat shirts or simply "T" shirts. Do I need to impress anyone, NO. But I do take Pride in my appearance and all that goes with it.
Old December 16, 2012, 11:03 PM   #30
tkglazie

That's called "class" jcwit, or I least thats what I think they used to call it. I dont see much of it around anymore. Good to hear it still exists!
Old December 17, 2012, 12:26 AM   #31
FLChinook

OK...

I still don't know whether to opt for a rotary tumbler or vibrator.

The best sounding vibrator seems to be the Lyman Pro 1200 but I still don't know if it's made in America (important).

I appreciate all the other input but can we redirect our focus now off media (corn or walnut or soap or SS) to tumbler type and brand...
Old December 17, 2012, 12:40 AM   #32
jimkim

I have a couple of Frankford Arsenals(one needs a new motor) and a Thumler. If I buy another tumbler it will be one of the re-branded Berry's tumblers. Had I known of them when I bought my first FA I would have bought one of them.

http://www.berrysmfg.com/product-i14...0_Tumbler.aspx
http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/...productId/5395
http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.co...ku=00038502022
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shoot...3Bcat104661180
https://kempfgunshop.com//index.php?...hk=1&Itemid=41
If any of you need one, new tumbler motor can be purchased from RCBS for less than $20.00.
Old December 17, 2012, 01:52 AM   #33
solocam72

Like I said mine is a cabelas, I just looked and its called a model 400 vibratory, I have used this thing hard for several years and it runs as good today as it did the day I bought it, I would highly recommend it
Old December 17, 2012, 02:07 AM   #34
lll Otto lll

In the last 60 days I have cleaned over 25,000 pieces of brass.
I use a Thumler's Model B with ceramic media. It will clean 750 9mm cases in 2 hours and they look brand new inside and out. I've been using the same ceramic media for the past 4 years.
I can't imagine messing around with a Frankford Arsonal and corn cob for large volumes of brass.

Excluding a rotary tumbler the next best thing is simply washing them as Shane pointed out.
Old December 17, 2012, 02:11 AM   #35
Sevens

I started with the Frankford Arsenal tumbler.
It worked and it worked well... for a while. Eventually, it stopped. Had been like 2.5 years.

"Well, the thing VIBRATES to run. It's not going to last forever, sigh."
Took it apart to find that the wiring was simply rattling itself to death so I stripped a few pieces and re-wired it. Back in business!

For a while. Maybe 6 months? Same thing. Opened it, re-wired it again...but I'm running out of slack. No more re-wires unless I run NEW wires.

Ran for a while. But then I figured... this is silly. If it keeps doing this, will it be snapping and arcing inside there? I have to use it specifically when I am not around it. It's too damn annoying to listen to! I don't want some kind of a fire hazard.

I tossed it and ordered a Berry's tumbler.
THAT was an epiphany. It's half as loud as the Frankford, cleans every bit as well or better. Just feels like a more sturdy, quality product.

I'm an admitted fan of Berry's bullets and their flip-top boxes and I've had nothing but great service every single time I've dealt with them and with every one of their products I've used. Had I known then, I'd never have bought the Frankford back then. The Berry's tumbler is better.
Old December 17, 2012, 08:55 PM   #36
Shane Tuttle
Staff

If it's important to you to have it made in America, want quality that lasts, then buy Dillon's and be DONE with it...

http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/con...y_Case_Cleaner

It's bigger than what you need....for now. But you might want to call Dillon and see if their smaller ones are made in America as well. IIRC, they weren't.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old December 18, 2012, 02:05 AM   #37
mohr308

I have the Lyman Pro 1200, not one complaint. It works and its a fair price.
Old December 18, 2012, 06:06 AM   #38
Brotherbadger

Quote:
Like I said mine is a cabelas, I just looked and its called a model 400 vibratory, I have used this thing hard for several years and it runs as good today as it did the day I bought it, I would highly recommend it
Same. I got the Kit(Tumbler, media, polish and sifter) cheap from a guy who was getting out of reloading(only reloaded for a few months, turned out it wasn't for him), and i love it. I'm sure there are better ones out there, but it filled my needs and didn't cost me a month's rent.
Old December 18, 2012, 08:40 AM   #39
Sure Shot Mc Gee

I have a vibrator tumbler. Its OK and does a decent job. Since I don't have a need to have shells quick cleaned to a so, so, acceptable condition in a couple hours. The idea of having to use Brasso polish and all those other like polishes mixed with my corn cob or walnut media as it dirtys. (I've never been totally pleased with their results.) Using that type of media. (corn cob & walnut ) After each cleaning. >I still have to clean the stuck media out of each and every primer pocket. Having to clean primer pockets of tumbler media is something I consider annoying to do period.
I would now this day without hesitation buy a rotary pin style shell cleaner. I like the idea of pins and soapy water cleaning. Reason being. From observing one a friend has. (pin tumbler) Every nook and cranny every facet seen on a brass shell comes out totally cleaned and void of gunpowder residue or stain. Having that ability to clean my shells. Even though it is somewhat expensive in cost to get into. Is worth the extra money as I see it. If one intends to keep their vibrator style tumbler 20-30 years as I have. Plan on cleaning a lot of primer pockets of tumbler media. My advise. Buy a rotary style pin tumbler right from the get go. You'll be pleased with its results as a brass case cleaner. I know I was sure impressed with one.
Old December 18, 2012, 08:50 AM   #40
tkglazie

Brasso and cartridge cases do not mix. Only non-ammonia based polishes should be used.
Old December 18, 2012, 11:54 AM   #41
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Something new learned today. Thanks, tkglazie.
Old December 18, 2012, 12:19 PM   #42
tkglazie

No problem. I probably learned it on this forum myself, then researched it further. Many people successfully use Brasso with no problems, but the chemistry says Brasso definitely can cause cases to turn brittle. No need to risk it, there are better choices out there (nufinish for example)
Old December 18, 2012, 01:25 PM   #43
leadchucker

Brasso does indeed contain ammonia, which is detrimental to your gun brass. In open air, the ammonia will evaporate out of Brasso in a matter of minutes. I've used some Brasso in my media in the past with no problems, but I've discontinued that practice.
Old December 18, 2012, 03:43 PM   #44
jcwit

What leadchucker says is correct. After the ammonia is gone all thats left is the polishing compound. No harm to the brass. With that said I happen to use any liquid or paste auto polish/wax. Currently using up some KIT auto cleaner wax.
Old December 18, 2012, 04:09 PM   #45
old roper

Having own few tumblers from vibratory to rotary type and trying to have one last has been a chore.

Over 20yrs ago I purchase RCBS Sidewinder and I've done from 25 up to 150 rifle cases also used it for moly also does wet or dry. I paid less than $200 back then so far cost me less than $10 per year of ownership.

Lot of money for one now but something to think about.
NRA Life Member
Old December 18, 2012, 04:35 PM   #46
FLChinook

The Sidewinder goes for over $400 now. That's $40/yr over 10 years; about the amount each year for a new vibrator...

Now, if I could just find a good, used one for circa $100...
Old December 18, 2012, 07:46 PM   #47
hounddawg

I think most everyone knows I am of the soap and water clique. Shiny cases don't impress me, sub 1/2 inch groups do. If I have X amount of dollars to spend I am gonna spend it on primers bullets and powder
Old December 18, 2012, 10:25 PM   #48
jcwit

Quote:
I think most everyone knows I am of the soap and water clique. Shiny cases don't impress me, sub 1/2 inch groups do.
Shiney cases I like, impress? "NO!"

What does impress me is groups under 1/4" from a .223.

Want to really impress? Shoot for score. You will find out how easy groups are.
Old December 18, 2012, 10:31 PM   #49
jcwit

Quote:
Having own few tumblers from vibratory to rotary type and trying to have one last has been a chore.

Over 20yrs ago I purchase RCBS Sidewinder and I've done from 25 up to 150 rifle cases also used it for moly also does wet or dry. I paid less than $200 back then so far cost me less than $10 per year of ownership.

Lot of money for one now but something to think about.
Over 10 years ago I purchased my current Cabela's 400 tumeler made by Berry, it cost me $39.00 at that time. It has tumbled untold thousand's of cases in that time. Cost per year? $3.90. BTW it runs as well now as it did when purchased.
Old December 18, 2012, 10:42 PM   #50
RC20

Ultra Vibe (10) in my cases ( pun intended)

Quiet enough to work in the room with it running, does a hell of a job and Made in the USA.

Had an old Lymans and the new ones don't look a bit different. Went South after re-started using it after a long hiatus.

Ultra Vibe is not cheap ($140 I think) but worth every penny